Magnetic issue.

Thread: Magnetic issue.

https://www.instagram.com/vintagebkkwatch/

Magnetic issue.

Hi,

I have a Stowa Marine Automatic COSC for 2 months and notice that the watch get magnetized easily.

Last month I had it demagnetize and yesterday noticed that it ran fast again.

It is not a problem of getting it demagnetized but if this has to be done frequently, for sure this won’t be convenient and decrease the pleasure of wearing such a nice watch.

I would like to ask other owners if you get the same issue with your Stowa and is there any particular preventive that we can take ?

Thank you for sharing experiences.

Re: Magnetic issue.

I realised that the watch was running +20s per day after wearing it for 12h so the movement wasn't unwinded and it kept going for an other 12h. Previously it was running -4s per day.

It is no problem to get it demagnetized.

I am working constantly with my laptop but my other watches do not have this kind of problem.

Until I go to my watch repair shop to demagnetize, I just wanted to have other owners comments in order to have some preventive.

Thanks for your comments.

+20 seconds per day? I doubt the watch is getting magnetized. Every time I've magnetized a watch it runs a couple of hours fast per day.

As inlanding mentioned above, it's also my experience that as a movement winds down it tends to run a bit faster.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoThai View Post
    Hi,

I have a Stowa Marine Automatic COSC for 2 months and notice that the watch get magnetized easily.

Last month I had it demagnetize and yesterday noticed that it ran fast again.

It is not a problem of getting it demagnetized but if this has to be done frequently, for sure this won’t be convenient and decrease the pleasure of wearing such a nice watch.

I would like to ask other owners if you get the same issue with your Stowa and is there any particular preventive that we can take ?

Thank you for sharing experiences.
    The antimagnetic rating is built into the movement by ETA (in this case 4,800 A/m) and has nothing to do with Stowa watches. If your watch is indeed magnetized, most likely you work in an environment that magnetizes watches easily, like loudspeakers, door magnets, whiteboard magnets etc.

The only way around that is to get one of the watches with special antimagnetic protection (up to 80,000 or 100,000 A/m) from the likes of Sinn, IWC, Damasko, TimeFactors ...
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoThai View Post
    I realised that the watch was running +20s per day after wearing it for 12h so the movement wasn't unwinded and it kept going for an other 12h.
    After you take your watch off and set it down, it should run for at least another 30 hours or more if it is fully wound.

Further, I agree that a magnetized movement should run much faster than +20sec/day, so I do not think your problem is a magnetized movement.

Try this experiment: At the end of the day, take off your watch, set it down, and let it run until it stops. How many hours did it run after you take it off?

HTH

Just passed by the watch repair shop and get confirmed that the watch was magnetised.

Now I have to find out what in my daily routine could cause the Stowa Marine to get so easily magnetised.

Do the magnetic card we use like for the company employee one or for the high way toll fee could be the cause ?

I will also compare with other watches I wear if same issue happens.

Hi Franco

Any resolution on this? i had a new Airman Auto which seemed to be running 20 secs fast a day...but ive not had it long enough to know if its a fault or whether it will settle down.

Meles

Yes, I would like to know how's your COSC Airman doing too. Mine LE ran faster and faster during the first couple of days. After that, I gave up on counting the "gain seconds" and let it drain - also to test its power reseve hour. Then I remembered I laid the watch at the bottom of my Apple's screen when I first got it to take pictures. It might get "magnetize." And I also wound the watch 40 times too. So I still don't know which one attributed to the fast running seconds in the first couple of day. After the test for the power reserve hour, it's 41 hours btw, I did not wind the crown as much as I did. Only several wounds and then the watch became stable. Now it is under 3 sec/day.

So, I don't know how and by what means your watch got "magnetized." It may not as bad as you think. Let us know. Thanks.

Hi,

If your COSC watch is running +20s per day, there is something wrong. But if it is magnetised, it should run must faster than this. The only way to be sure is to bring your watch to a repair shop to check if it is really a magnetic issue. If not, I suggest to contact with Stowa to get this problem fixed.

So far, my orther watches do not have this problem even they have not antimagnetic spec.

Hope this answer your question.

FrancoThai

Thread Information