Marine 36 timekeeping - great on the winder, not so great while wearing. Any suggestions why?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Marine 36 timekeeping - great on the winder, not so great while wearing. Any suggestions why?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Marine 36 timekeeping - great on the winder, not so great while wearing. Any suggestions why?

Hi all, I sent a message to Stowa asking if they might know why this is happening and I thought I would post here to get some suggestions as well. Basically when my Marine 36 (which I LOVE) is kept on the winder during the day and in the watch box at night it keeps great time gaining 1-2 seconds per day but I've noticed that when I wear the watch all day, put it back in the watch box at night and then check the timekeeping the next day it loses roughly 20 seconds. Does anyone know why this could be happening and what would cause it? I set my watches using the official US time from either the time.gov website or the clock in the Watchville app on iOS. It's really bumming me out and I'm hoping someone can tell me why this is happening or what I'm doing wrong. This is the basic 2824 movement that it comes with BTW. Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Marine 36 timekeeping - great on the winder, not so great while wearing. Any suggestions why?

A watch tends to have different running properties, depending on its horizontal and vertical positions - i.e. dial up, dial down, crown up, left, right and down. Your wearing habits (daily activities) may have impact on the running properties though.

That‘s the reason for some brands adjusting their watches to five positions, some plus temperature. Not necessarily high-end but of excellent quality.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Marine 36 timekeeping - great on the winder, not so great while wearing. Any suggestions why?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    A watch tends to have different running properties, depending on its horizontal and vertical positions - i.e. dial up, dial down, crown up, left, right and down. Your wearing habits (daily activities) may have impact on the running properties though.

That‘s the reason for some brands adjusting their watches to five positions, some plus temperature. Not necessarily high-end but of excellent quality.
    Thanks for your reply Mike, so if I understand correctly you are saying it could be because of how much or how little my arms are exercising the rotor while wearing the watch versus the full winding that occurs when it's on the winder?

I mostly want to make sure that the problem lies with me and not the watch itself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Not that important „how much“ or „how little“, it is about the position, horizontal or vertical. If you work a lot on the computer (desk job) the watch is dial up most of the time. A watch on a bricklayers wrists is PD, PU, PL as well.

That being said, a good watchmaker should be able to get better results. Let him put your watch on a timegrapher to see what‘s up with beat rate beat, amplitude and beat errors.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; November 19th, 2018 at 09:27.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Set the time using a quartz watch, wear the watch for 7 days in a row, rest the watch in a different position every night. At the end of the seventh day, compare the time to the quartz watch and divide the difference by seven. This way you'll get a more accurate test.
    Keep us posted.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

It’s a good exercise to know the positional errors for a daily watch. If a piece gains time in general but loses in one position you can rest it like that overnight.

Thanks, this is good advice and is what I started yesterday. Will update next week with the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raku View Post
    Set the time using a quartz watch, wear the watch for 7 days in a row, rest the watch in a different position every night. At the end of the seventh day, compare the time to the quartz watch and divide the difference by seven. This way you'll get a more accurate test.
    Keep us posted.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

So the quartz watch I was using was a citizen eco-drive which I keep in the watch box. It could have used more time in the sun it seems as it stopped halfway through the week so I wasn't able to use that as a comparison but I wore the Marine 36 all throughout the holidays and I think the problem lies with me and my wearing habits. I made a conscious effort to move my arms more often and found that the Marine 36 actually keeps very good time gaining 2-3 seconds per day.
    stuffler,mike and mfseverini like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flaccidaardvark View Post
    So the quartz watch I was using was a citizen eco-drive which I keep in the watch box. It could have used more time in the sun it seems as it stopped halfway through the week so I wasn't able to use that as a comparison but I wore the Marine 36 all throughout the holidays and I think the problem lies with me and my wearing habits. I made a conscious effort to move my arms more often and found that the Marine 36 actually keeps very good time gaining 2-3 seconds per day.
    This is slightly off topic, but I am wondering how you like the 36mm and whether you've been wearing it as a dress watch or more casual? I am thinking seriously about purchasing one and I plan to wear it as a daily watch in an office environment (business casual).

Quote Originally Posted by mfseverini View Post
    This is slightly off topic, but I am wondering how you like the 36mm and whether you've been wearing it as a dress watch or more casual? I am thinking seriously about purchasing one and I plan to wear it as a daily watch in an office environment (business casual).
    I really like this 36mm size, for me I think it is a sweet spot especially with this watch as it wears bigger due to the dial but still sits very modestly on my wrist. I've been wearing it more casually but I think it can do double duty really well, especially with a strap change.
    mfseverini likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information