Is the Marine 36 a worthy substitute for the Marine Original?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is the Marine 36 a worthy substitute for the Marine Original?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the Marine 36 a worthy substitute for the Marine Original?

I have a Marine Original which I've owned for just over a year. I absolutely love everything about this watch except the size. I also have a Partitio and find its size (37mm) to be perfect for my taste. With the introduction of the Marine 36, I am tempted by the case proportions as well as by the three-hand dial arrangement. If I bought the 36, I'd probably sell the MO. What's stopping me? It comes down to the 6498 movement. I like the feel and the forward movement of the hands with relation to the forward movement of the crown when setting the time. I also like the idea of the slow beating pocket watch aspect of the 6498. However, when I wear the MO, I'm ever aware of its size and often find myself questioning it. Love the watch...just wish it was smaller. Incidentally, I have 7.25" wrists so the MO fits me. It's just bigger than what I usually prefer. Would you flip it for the 36?

Re: Is the Marine 36 a worthy substitute for the Marine Original?

There is no way to answer this for you...I think the MO is the superior watch, but then of course the size is too much for some (including me). I'd flip the MO only if you are too bothered by the size to enjoy it.

My wrist is an inch smaller than yours, yet l own a 42mm Laco Pilot watch that I love to wear a couple days a week. Upon learning that the Stowa Marine 36mm could be purchased with a hand wound movement I have started saving up to purchase one. The Marine Original with 6498 is beautiful, but like yourself, the desire to have a "more comfortable" watch is really tempting. The fact that it is a thinner 9.2mm is also a wonderful detail. If you plan on wearing the Marine 36 most of the time, then I think it would be a fantastic purchase. Though, if it is going to be worn less, I would probably hold onto the Original, with the wonderful 6498 movement. You have the Partitio as well, so to me that is very close to the Marine 36mm. Good luck with your decision!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses so far. I probably should have mentioned that my Partitio is black. So although similar in size to the Marine 36, it looks completely different. Even as I read your comments praising the MO, I have tinges of doubt about selling it. This is a decision that will take much consideration.

Could someone perhaps post a video clip of Marine 36, including on the wrist? I didn’t find any and it makes it much easier to evaluate a watch, especially a new one with a limited number of photos around. I’m very likely to order one but need further validation so please support your favourite brand 😉

I've had the MO, and a few watches with the eta 2801 (or it's sellita alternative).

The handwinding feel of the 6497/8 movements is so, so, SO much better than the smaller 2801, it's almost ridiculous to realize how noticeable the difference is. In my experience, the 6497/8 is also more resistant to overwinding, therefore a more secure option.

I sold my MO in part due to size concerns. Looking back, I shouldn't have. No other watch has been so pleasant to wind/set.
    parsig9 likes this.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Casio Oceanus T200

The dream is to sport the marine 36 with small second movement/dial. I personally don't mind ETA-2895 eventhough it's auto and might result in dial disproportion

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    I've had the MO, and a few watches with the eta 2801 (or it's sellita alternative).

The handwinding feel of the 6497/8 movements is so, so, SO much better than the smaller 2801, it's almost ridiculous to realize how noticeable the difference is.
    I sold my MO in part due to size concerns. Looking back, I shouldn't have. No other watch has been so pleasant to wind/set.
    Exactly my thoughts! I love winding the darned thing. I think you just reeled me back substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by taura View Post
    Could someone perhaps post a video clip of Marine 36, including on the wrist?
    Unboxing and quick look from Tristano @ The Urban Gentry ahead of a full review later this month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTyzkxlUjk
    Rosenbloom, MrBradly and taura like this.

Personally I prefer the small seconds dial layout of the MO. I have a 7.5" wrist so find the MO fits perfectly, and it's a gorgeous watch as you know. I don't think I'd ever sell mine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    MHe225 and Horologic like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information