Marine (40 mm): Sub-dial or sweeping second

View Poll Results: Do you prefer sub-dial (small second hand) ?

Voters
180. This poll is closed
  • Yes

107 59.44%
  • No

73 40.56%

Thread: Marine (40 mm): Sub-dial or sweeping second

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Marine (40 mm): Sub-dial or sweeping second

If it was possible, would you prefer a sub dial instead of the sweeping hand in the 40 mm Marine ?
    For instance:
    HW: Peseux instead of 2801
    Auto: 2895 instead of 2824

Re: Marine (40 mm): Sub-dial or sweeping second

Nope, love my Marine date just as it is.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

That's a tough one. Though I don't currntly own any incarnation of Marine, I will offer an opinion. :) On the one hand (no pun intended), the sub second hand is more historically accurate, and thus it makes more sense for the modern watch to have a sub second hand. Also, having a slightly smaller 'MO' watch option would be nice for those of us with smaller wrists. On the other hand, the MO isn't that much larger, so having two watches so similar in design wouldn't make much sense. I also prefer watching a central sweeping second hand, so I'm not certain which I would/will buy if/when I purchase a Marine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Question Re: Marine (40 mm): Sub-dial or sweeping second

Another poll?

Quote Originally Posted by inlanding View Post
    Another poll?
    :oops: ....
    I like pools because it's a good way to know if other people share my opinion.
    Sometimes, I hope it could allows Jorg to test some 'concept' and why not offer new products ... Yes, I know Jorg doesn't need my pool to imagine new projects but let me dream .

I would like to have Marine Automatic with date and small second...I love this combination.
    Stowa Antea KS (my wife), Nomos Orion Rosé Gold glasboden, Timefactors Speedbird III

Out of context, I generally prefer a subdial second hand as it makes a watch "calmer" (i.e. you're not distracted by a big, busy second hand ticking away). However, I think in this particular case, 40mm Marine needs to be sufficiently different from a larger Marine Original. In fact, I wish they'd make this difference even more pronounced by making it smaller (~38mm).

Quote Originally Posted by Henry4 View Post
    subdial second hand as it makes a watch "calmer" (i.e. you're not distracted by a big, busy second hand ticking away)
    Exactly
    Stowa Antea KS (my wife), Nomos Orion Rosé Gold glasboden, Timefactors Speedbird III

I voted sub-second, but not for the Pessuex movement, it is almost too small for a 40mm case. Several years ago Stowa made a limited run of 40mm Marine watches that had sub-seconds, they used a Unitas movement. A re-issue of that would be perfect!

EDIT: Looking at it now, I think it's subdial is a bit too high also. It needs to be down lower. Not sure if there is a movement that would put it in the correct spot. This would be the problem with the Pessuex movement also, it'd be up high closer to the center of the dial than what I think is visually optimal.

You can see it in Mike Stufflers picture here -

Matt
    Last edited by Matt2006; January 14th, 2009 at 02:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2006 View Post
    I voted sub-second, but not for the Pessuex movement, it is almost too small for a 40mm case. Several years ago Stowa made a limited run of 40mm Marine watches that had sub-seconds, they used a Unitas movement. A re-issue of that would be perfect!

EDIT: Looking at it now, I think it's subdial is a bit too high also. It needs to be down lower. Not sure if there is a movement that would put it in the correct spot. This would be the problem with the Pessuex movement also, it'd be up high closer to the center of the dial than what I think is visually optimal.

Matt
    I've heard about this smaller unitas but I think it's not very realistic to hope a new production.

Concerning the place of the sub-dial, I disagree. To my mind, it is too 'low' on the MO. A higher position would allow a more balanced dial (Cf the dornbluth with the big sub-dial Ref: 99.1).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information