Marine Original - a hacking question

Thread: Marine Original - a hacking question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marine Original - a hacking question

Dear All,

I have a question about the Marine Original. I love this watch - and it will very likely be my next purchase. There is only one thing that does not sit comfortably with me about the watch...

I understand from the various posts here that the Unitas movement does not have a hacking feature. I personally love a hack as it allows me to set my watch accurately and keep a daily record on +/- seconds. Is there a reason for its omission, historical or otherwise?

And is it possible to adapt the movement to add a hack? Or would this be missing the point of the watch entirely?

Thanks for filling me in and/or pointing me in the right direction.
    Peter

stuffler,mike

Rolling eyes Re: Marine Original - a hacking question

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    Dear All,

I have a question about the Marine Original. I love this watch - and it will very likely be my next purchase. There is only one thing that does not sit comfortably with me about the watch...

I understand from the various posts here that the Unitas movement does not have a hacking feature. I personally love a hack as it allows me to set my watch accurately and keep a daily record on +/- seconds. Is there a reason for its omission, historical or otherwise?

And is it possible to adapt the movement to add a hack? Or would this be missing the point of the watch entirely?

Thanks for filling me in and/or pointing me in the right direction.
    Peter
    The Unitas - from its origin - was concepted as a pocket watch movement.
    At those times nobody needed a hack feature. However it is possible to modify those Unitas movement. As you may know the LE of Flieger Original features a zero reset which is a real expensive modification.

Jörg's limited edition of the Flieger 2801 will feature a hacking function. Pics here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=200635

Re: Marine Original - a hacking question

After receiving my FO Serial, I pondered the same question: I would love to have a hacking function on my MO. So, I guess this is a question for Jorg: can you do a modification to an existing MO to add hacking? If so, what would be the cost of this? Turnaround time? Cheers!
    Casio: PAW1300-1V
    Nomos: Tangomat (Zeta), Tetra Large (Alpha)
    Rolex: Air King (ca. 1982), Cellini (c.a. 1980)
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde
    Stowa: Marine Original (Serial), Fleiger Original (Serial)
    Tutima: F2 PR

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And a further question for Jorg...

Is it possible to modify the movement at the production/assembly stage? And would you be prepared to do it?

Many thanks

The only way to resemble this movement hacking is to apply back pressure to the minute hand to stop the second hand and this is when the movement is almost completely unwound.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    Dear All,

It's true that you can't easily set a non-hacking watch as accurately as a hacking one, but you can still keep a daily record of +/- seconds. Simply note how many seconds you are ahead of or behind the standard you are using. Then see how much this changes in 24 hours.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmaddux View Post
    It's true that you can't easily set a non-hacking watch as accurately as a hacking one, but you can still keep a daily record of +/- seconds. Simply note how many seconds you are ahead of or behind the standard you are using. Then see how much this changes in 24 hours.

Mike
    True 'nuff, its a great way to measure the deviation of your watch, but at some point your watch is too far off, and then the only way to set it is to let it wind down and start again. Hack=Happy
    Casio: PAW1300-1V
    Nomos: Tangomat (Zeta), Tetra Large (Alpha)
    Rolex: Air King (ca. 1982), Cellini (c.a. 1980)
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde
    Stowa: Marine Original (Serial), Fleiger Original (Serial)
    Tutima: F2 PR

Quote Originally Posted by redbike View Post
    True 'nuff, its a great way to measure the deviation of your watch, but at some point your watch is too far off, and then the only way to set it is to let it wind down and start again. Hack=Happy
    I've pretty much decided I won't buy another non-hacking watch, but that's partly a ploy to slow down my watch buying.

NEG

IMHO I see no point in getting obsessive about hacking or not with a watch with a subseconds dial, the MO is beautifully made and a real classic design...enjoy it for what it is and stop obsessing over seconds of accuracy. The FO has a hacking feature 'cause that's what the B-Uhr watches had to have, the large central sweep second hand had a function and timing was critical for this style of Navigator watch....for the MO....no.

Quote Originally Posted by redbike View Post
    Not sure I understand here. Can't you just reset the minute hand? Yes, you're always going to be a bit off, but never more than 59 seconds in either direction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information