Marine Original (MO not MA) silver vs. white dial
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Marine Original (MO not MA) silver vs. white dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post Marine Original (MO not MA) silver vs. white dial

Hello all,

let me start by clarifying that the thread name is not a mistake: I am not talking about the Marine Automatic, nor the Marine DUROWE (with gold), but the Marine Original.
    I just found out that the MO is available with a 925 sterling silver dial as an option (for additional 200€) to the known white & black dials and can be had with roman or arabic numbers. This was surprising to me & I could not find any discussions about it (except for on the very expensive DUROWE or the Marine Automatic).

So now the choice gets a lot tougher: it's not just black vs. white, roman vs. arabic, brushed vs. polished and onion vs. normal crown...

My preference so far(!) has been fairly clear: I like the roman numbers with the polished case and normal crown, as I think this makes a more dressier version. I personally find the arabic numbers are a bit too bold and I already own a flieger B with brushed case, so the choice seems logical. As I have a black flieger, the MO needed to be white.

But: I own an Antea KS silver (which I would need to sell to buy an MO) and know the beauty of a silver dial. Also other great Marine brands (like Dornblueth, but also Tourby) are all in on silver versions. Hence I am debating to opt for the silver dial. My gut tells me, that the silver dial would look better with arabic numbers and the white better with roman, but I cannot quite describe why.

So I turn to you:
    - Did you know the silver dial was available?
    - Would you prefer a silver MO over a white MO to the point of paying ~20% more? (also consider that the silver dial is apparently still available with the old logo)
    - Do you think brushed vs polished and arabic vs. roman should have an impact when choosing white vs. silver? If so, which combinations do you see fitting?

I look forward to hearing your opinions and thoughts.

Regards

Skilfing
    Last edited by Skilfing; June 1st, 2015 at 23:15.

Re: Marine Original (MO not MA) silver vs. white dial

I had no idea that they offered sterling silver dial... that is awesome.

I'd definitely be willing to pay the extra to get the silver dial. hearing this, MO is on my radar again.

Combo I'd get is silver dial, arabic, with brushed finish. Not big into full polished cases. had a Rolex datejust with roman dials and didn't enjoy it... little too dressy for my taste.

I wouldn't normally pay extra for the silver dial - but I would if that is the only way to get the old logo.

The new logo just doesn't work on that watch (or really, any of them) for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OP, is the sterling silver dial MO option visible on the website anywhere, or did you find out directly from Stowa? Thanks!

Inactive

The MO/silver has been available at least since December 2014 or so when I'd inquired about this option (it's not published on the website though). Price tag was 1380,- then.

Name:  MO arabian, silver.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  29.6 KBName:  MO roman, silver.png
Views: 1532
Size:  265.7 KB
    Last edited by sir karl; June 2nd, 2015 at 07:41.

I found out directly through Stowa, current price tag is €1480 and it is not available on the website. I actually found out about it by looking at the price increase PDF Stowa enclosed in one of the last newsletters - which lists a silver MO. Then I inquired directly.
    Thanks Sir Carl for posting the pictures. Would love to know how the silver Roman dial looks in real life. There is a lot of pictures of silver MAs, so that is easy to imagine... but the silver roman on this picture just doesn't click with me. Then again, it's probably just the shot/angle.

I would jump at the silver dial, even at that price. And getting the old logo is icing on the cake. I have the silver dial MA and that dial is my favorite part of the watch; it's amazing. My only hesitation would be that I'm not sure how the silver dial would look with the polished case. Don't know if I've ever seen that combo before.

A forum member contacted me in response to this thread (much appreciated!) and gave me the opportunity to look at a silver MO in person this morning. It was a polished version with arabic numbers and looked simply stunning. The silver dial adds a really nice touch to the watch and would definitely be my preference with arabic numbers. Still not entirely sure how it would work out with roman numbers. Seeing the MO in real live encouraged me to sell my Antea KS (old logo) for funding towards an MO. Simply more versatile while still dressy enough to be worn in the office. And no need to give up the silver dial after all
    Last edited by Skilfing; June 4th, 2015 at 00:01.

Now I'm curious if they offer the MA with a black dial. ;)

Oh no. Now I have to flip my 1938 to get this silver MO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information