Marine original vs. Marine Auto? (Newbie)

Thread: Marine original vs. Marine Auto? (Newbie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marine original vs. Marine Auto? (Newbie)

Hey guys,

First time poster on the Stowa forum and I have a bit of a Newbie question....

Ive been checking out the Stowa website, and I have to admit there are quite a few watches that really interest me..a lot! I really like the Marine Original, and I like the Auto version as well, just not as much.

So help me out here...what makes the MO better, worth the extra $$$ over the Auto?

Thanks

Mike
    Cheers,

Mike

Previously Enjoyed

DOXA 750T Sharkhunter
    DOXA 750T Professional GMT
    Seiko Prospex Ti "Samurai" SBDA003
    MKII Stingray

Re: Marine original vs. Marine Auto? (Newbie)

I personally like MO better due to decorated Unitas and small second hand. Why don't get the MO LE with "red 12"? I saw the other day Joerg posted in the sub-forum that 2 pieces of MO LE are still available because someone cancelled it.

stuffler,mike

Pre-eminently it is the movement. The Unitas 6498 which is mounted into the MO is beating the ETA 2824-2 by far. First: It´s handwounded. Second: It´s fairly finished.

You´ll not find the swan neck an the screw balance in the Marine Auto but for a newbie this probably doesn´t mean much.

Swan neck adjustment

Screw balance

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

YES, it is worth it.

Frankly it is not that easy because that are two similar but different watches. One is handwind, the other is automatic. What sounds pretty easy and perhaps a bit stupid, makes a big differences in case you are focused on one type of that basic technical principle.

If you want an automatic watch than the MO is not a good choice, and vice versa if you prefer handwound the auto is the wrong one.

In my opinion both watches are worth the money and qualify for buying.
    Perhaps the small difference in the case size can be another criterion for your selection. Also the MO is available polished and matte whereas the Auto is only available in a polished case.

To be honest I really like the mechanical aspect of the hand wind MO. ANd for whatever reason, Im just really drawn to the MO. I really need a dress watch I can wear with a suit, or even with jeans; and both of these are just so classic looking(almost like they'll never go out of style!). Im a but dissapointed it doesnt have a date like the auto version, but the fact that it has a 22mm strap and is slightly chunkier more than makes up for that

The swan neck adjustments really doesnt mean all that much to me, except that I think Ive seen that on some of the Panerai's. But like I said, Im fairly new to watches and a complete NEWB to Stowa.

Thank you all sooooo much for all the great info, I really do appreciate it!
    Cheers,

Mike

Previously Enjoyed

DOXA 750T Sharkhunter
    MKII Stingray

I agree with most of the posters of this thread. I enjoy handwinding watches more then autos unless of course your speaking of dive watches. I think you should decide on whether or not you require a date function on your watch. If so, no brainer for the auto. Both offer a easy to read dial with a classic layout. Jorg makes very good quality watches at reasonable prices. You'll be happy with either one.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    I agree with most of the posters of this thread. I enjoy handwinding watches more then autos unless of course your speaking of dive watches. I think you should decide on whether or not you require a date function on your watch. If so, no brainer for the auto. Both offer a easy to read dial with a classic layout. Jorg makes very good quality watches at reasonable prices. You'll be happy with either one.
    Its a shame the almighty Dollar is doing so poorly, if not, it would be an easy decision...
    Cheers,

Mike

Previously Enjoyed

DOXA 750T Sharkhunter
    MKII Stingray

Since this is somewhat being discussed here, I was wondering if there was a preference amongst most watch enthusiasts as to what is preferable between automatic and hand wound.

I know the general feeling is that mechanical > quartz, but have no idea of what people think of hand wound vs auto.

If someone could enlighten me on this debate, that would be great.

I recently sent my payment for an MO which I chose ober the MA because of the handwound movement and look of the Unitas 6498-2.

Also, Mike mentioned that the Unitas 6498-2 is by far superior to the 2824-2 movement. I was wondering how so? Accuracy? Durability? Or is it just the quality of the movement?

Thanks in advance!

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by saderules View Post
    Also, Mike mentioned that the Unitas 6498-2 is by far superior to the 2824-2 movement. I was wondering how so? Accuracy? Durability? Or is it just the quality of the movement?

I didn´t. I wrote: "The Unitas 6498 which is mounted into the MO is beating the ETA 2824-2 by far". I haven´t said the Unitas is per se better than the 2824-2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information