Matte black Ikarus seconds hand on Flieger Classic 40 - Yay or Ney?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quartersawn

Thread: Matte black Ikarus seconds hand on Flieger Classic 40 - Yay or Ney?

Off Topic post Matte black Ikarus seconds hand on Flieger Classic 40 - Yay or Ney?

I'm yet to hear whether this is actually possible, but even if it's possible, I can't decide whether it's a good idea or not

For reference here's a unique all matte hands on Classic 40 watch: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvEBPVGnT_P/ - since it's not a sterile dial, I assume an old version
    Best video that gets close to the Classic 40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nViNJr99CN4

Ikarus on Classic 40:
    Name:  ik40.png
Views: 112
Size:  990.1 KB

Default Classic 40:
    Name:  d40.png
Views: 112
Size:  990.9 KB

I greyed the straps because I usually wear dark or gray straps

Is it a good idea or not? Personally, my only issue with the default seconds hands is the highly attention grabbing exposed silver pin in the middle (not actually a pin, actually a part of the hand), the Ikarus seconds hands does mask it better - but after a lot of going back and forth, the all heat blued hands are probably more simple/elegant (also, in this possible rendering, the hand is grayish, it could appear more darker in real life, making them look "moustache"ish on the watch, as my brother commented :)
    Last edited by KHHAANNN; December 12th, 2019 at 20:12.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Matte black Ikarus seconds hand on Flieger Classic 40 - Yay or Ney?

The watch on IG is indeed an old model, dating back to 2010/2011.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Ah, nice watch collection by the way, I just calculated 2+2 and realised it was your Instagram account :D

Name:  s42.png
Views: 107
Size:  1.16 MB

^ This one is a more realistic look, less exposure on the seconds hands, it appears darker, I assume it would look like this

While I'm still curious, I'm probably not going to do it, in most lighting scenarios blued hands are no different than matte anyway, it just complicates the watch in mid to high lighting scenarios, the silver pin-like mid appearance is probably there as a design feature that I don't appreciate yet

The watch would look like this without the silver in the middle:
    Name:  s42n.png
Views: 117
Size:  1.16 MB

^ Seeing this weird thing above made me appreciate the original design choices, makes you appreciate the silver pin there

I guess in this more refined and soft case, the clean dial, the all blue hands are the best design choice

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I got my regular Classic 40, but discovered that new Fliegers have simpler dials, I do envy the simpler dial to be honest - nice simplification on Stowa's part, from their instagram, all the new variations seem to have a ringless dial

I pitched the idea to them while discussing possible options, the idea was to have various options readily available to anyone (most are actually possible, but you'd have to ask etc.), everyone have different tastes, no reason we can't mix and mash however we like, since they custom produce their watches too, no reason for them to not make all options available too - but they were presumably not interested, as I got no direct response

They apparently can produce polished / semi-polished, brushed and sand-blasted (verus grey le) cases too, combine that with different dials, left/right crown, different hands, you'd have a company that can produce everyone's dream pilot (or other watches)

Mine would be a sand blasted case, hand winding, dark grey simple dial, blued steel hands, left crown :)

--

One concrete example from Instagram is the availability of the green seconds hand for example: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0GwnN-HCjJ/ - apparently only available on request, from my point of view, these kind of things just cause post purchase regrets, but if all the possible options were directly communicated and made available to everyone, it would just result in increased sales :)

Without creating a new thread, since this thread is filled with my ramblings related to discovering possible options with watches;

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/wh...l#post50365497 <- Just saw this dial

Was this a special version? I've never seen Stowa's ringless but black dial, I thought they made these ringless dials on new special/le watches

Edit: Reading back a few threads, it seems to be the 90th Anniversary LE Flieger 36 - interesting to see a cleaner and monocolor dial
    Last edited by KHHAANNN; 2 Weeks Ago at 23:08.

The long blue counterweight on the sweep second hand enhances the entire appearance of the the rather stark A dial flieger. The one thing I don't care for on the baumuster B (and I've had two of them) is the black sweep hand.

Also, there is historical precedence for the blue sweep. Not sure about Stowa but the IWC had a blue sweep hand.

(not my watch or photo)
    Name:  IWC-B-Uhr1.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  90.4 KB
    KHHAANNN likes this.

Thread Information