The MO, what reading about it on WUS doesn?t tell you ...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The MO, what reading about it on WUS doesn?t tell you ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The MO, what reading about it on WUS doesn’t tell you ...

Or, my first watch and what I got versus what I expected to get

It’s not like the Stowa Marine Original is a new watch around these parts, but reading about the watch and owning it are two different things, so I thought I’d write a review of the MO from the perspective of someone who had never seen the piece in the flesh and bought one after studying it obsessively on WUS for a year. Now, don't get me wrong. The watch was everything I had hoped it would be. I love it. But it was a bit different than I imagined it would be from photos.
    I placed my order Dec. 6th, asking for an MO, white dial, matte finish with my own little request, an onion crown. The watch arrived the final week in March. I waited until I had the house to myself, cleared off a table and opened the FedEx package. Right off the bat I was shocked by how small the metal Stowa box was. Somehow, after all the fuss and bother I had put into selecting this object, I expected it to be much, much bigger.
    Then I opened the box and there was my watch. I was immediately struck by the dial. I was not aware that at some point Stowa had changed to a glossier dial. And frankly in all the photos I had seen, including on the Stowa site, the MO dial appeared to have a kind of matte finish with a circular texturing in the small second-hand dial. But the face of my watch was glossy and crisp like a newly Zamboni’d sheet of ice, with an almost ceramic appearance. Photos do not convey the jewel-like beauty of this dial.
    SEE FIRST ILLUSTRATION.
    The Arabic numerals and second markers were sharp and dark black. I knew they were printed, but the quality of the printing was such that the numbers actually stood up off the sheen of the glossy dial like applied numerals. The small second dial was a bit lower than the main dial, but did not have the concentric circle texture that I expected. Instead it was of the same glossy texture as the rest of the dial. As with the dial, the fact is that photography cannot convey the crisp beauty of these numbers.
    Then, there was the “Made in Germany” mark at the bottom of the dial. I was shocked by just how tiny it was, infinitesimal; almost impossible to read. For something that has caused so much discussion on WUS, this was a feature that hardly made an impression one way or the other. It looks big in photos, but in person you more or less forget it is there.
    The case was more or less what I suspected it would be from photos, thick and masculine without being chunky or overwhelming. I was surprised to see, however, that the number of the watch in production was etched into the back and that I was fortunate enough to get a nice round number 2065. I was extremely pleased with the onion crown I had asked for. It made the watch for me.
    SEE SECOND ILLUSTRATION
    Interestingly, the movement held no surprises for me. I was prepared for it to be spectacular and it was. Nicer than the photos suggest to be sure, but in a way that I expected. I had the standard Stowa black leather strap with white stitching. I loved it and thought it was exactly the right look for the watch. It did, however, irritate me a bit. The second loop of the strap (I know there is a word for this, but I can’t remember it, forgive me) was stitched together in such a way that it was hard and sharp against my skin and I had to turn it around. You can now see where the loop is put together if you stare at the strap when it’s on my wrist, but at least it isn’t scratching me.
    I’ve now had the watch for about two months and I have enjoyed every minute of it. The watch is a beauty and I wouldn’t trade it for any watch in the world. It wears well with a suit and with shorts and a polo shirt. It runs on time like Mussolini’s trains and is in every way a superior object. I hope to own it for the rest of my life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Top Cat likes this.
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

Re: The MO, what reading about it on WUS doesn’t tell you ...

I received my MO Roman with matte finish a few days ago. I have been so busy with a kitchen remodel project that I have not really had much time to admire it. I too was surprised by a couple of things. The glossier dial was one thing and I like it a lot. The small lettering for "made in Germany". I had seen enough pictures of the movement that it was what I expected. This is a stunning watch in every respect. I'm not overly thrilled with the stock strap as I don't like the 22 to 18 taper as much as I would have liked one with less taper but it's still a nice strap. My intention is to find a nice alligator. The stock strap though is very comfortable for me and I may end up liking it more if I can be a bit patient. I just think this elegant watch deserves a better strap of some sort but I haven't had time to figure out what I really want on it. I looked at this watch for almost a year before deciding to buy it. I need to let new watchitess subside for a bit but I have this urge to order one with Arabic numerals.

Congrats on your new watches!

I got my MO back in 2007.....................and was so overwhelmed by it's look and quality.

That watch made me launch a collection of many, many STOWA and SCHAUER watches.

They all are so different from early thirties of last century till today's watches - but all are of true and convincing quality.
    Just one example out of the last fifty years:

Volker

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for these - I like the MO so much thet I have three of them. The "classic" and both the limited editions. All of them are keepers.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I want an MA, silver dial. But really have to stop buying watches for a few months at least or my wife will end my existence on this planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Thanks for these - I like the MO so much thet I have three of them. The "classic" and both the limited editions. All of them are keepers.
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

scrumptious!

Does anyone else have more pictures of a recent MO with this glossy dial they could share? I think I prefer the previous "textured" dial but have not seen many pictures of the glossy one...

Ton of pics on this site,just look for them.

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by Renisin View Post
    Ton of pics on this site,just look for them.

Ren
    It's difficult to see whether a watch has the newer glossy dial or the older textured dial, so I was hoping to get some specific posts from recent models.

New Glossy from above:

My older one - not sure about it being 'textured' though

Antea Black (Date - Milanaise Bracelet)
    Antea Creme COSC (No Date - Blued Hands)
    Antea KS
    Black Forest Flieger LE
    Flieger B-Uhr
    Flieger 2801 LE

Marine 2801 HW
    Marine Original
    Chrono 1938 Black
    Seatime Blue (ProDiver Bezel)
    Seatime WUS LE
    70's Quartz,
    Vintage PUW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast