Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My German Dilemma

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My German Dilemma

To WUS bros out there,
    I am asking for some opinions on the models
    1. Chronograph 1938 black polished and
    2. Schauer Edition 09
    I had been eyeing the edition 09 for quite a while until the chronograph 1938 black came out...
    Now I am caught between the 2 models wondering which 1 should I go for...
    If you are in my shoes which one would you go for...And all comments are welcomed...
    ahdave's collection : German 4 (a) Stowa Marine Original~October 2009
    (b) Stowa Antea Klein Sekunde with SS strap~December 2011 (c) Flieger Baumuster B Handaufzug 2801~December 2011
    (d) Stowa Chronograph 1938 polished with SS strap~October 2012
    SWISS 1 : ORIS TT3 day-date (Hospitalized now)

Current Year Shortlist : (a) Schauer Chronograph Edition09 *thinking* (b) Nomos Glashütte Zürich *Consideration* (c) LACO Pilot 42 Manual winding type B
    (d) Steinhart NavB Chrono *low*

Re: My German Dilemma

I greatly prefer the applied arabics on the 1938 dial. The hands, too. I assume the price is preferable, as well

One vote for the 1938.
    Cursor likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

A Schauer is more exclusive ( about 500 pieces per annum) and the design is unique. I do think that "more love" for the detail (if this makes sence) is given to a Schauer. However I would go for the Stowa 1938 chrono.....and I did, - have the no date and have a black one on order which will be here in NOV.

In a nutshell: The 1938.
    hotnerd likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear Tomaski, This is a great problem to have and from my point of view, if you don't include price as an issue, what you are really doing is deciding between a classic look (1938 Chrono) and a more modern one (Schauer). The Schauer is clearly the more unusual piece and as Mike says is likely made with a bit more attention to detail. Without taking aesthetics into account it is the finer work of horology. The 1938 Chrono is a gorgeously rendered example of a classic type of watch by the team assembled by a master watchmaker, Herr Schauer. All things being equal, I'd buy the the 1938 Chrono, because of the applied numerals, the classic lines and a better price. But I have to admit that I simply don't see myself wearing a Schauer watch because of the way they look. I can't get over those screws around the bezel. Too busy for me. Not sure if this helps, but those are my thoughts.
    NH102.22 likes this.
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post
    I greatly prefer the applied arabics on the 1938 dial. The hands, too. I assume the price is preferable, as well

One vote for the 1938.
    In terms of pricing 1938 looks more attractive than chrono edition 9.
    (b) Stowa Antea Klein Sekunde with SS strap~December 2011 (c) Flieger Baumuster B Handaufzug 2801~December 2011

Current Year Shortlist : (a) Schauer Chronograph Edition09 *thinking* (b) Nomos Glashütte Zürich *Consideration* (c) LACO Pilot 42 Manual winding type B

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    A Schauer is more exclusive ( about 500 pieces per annum) and the design is unique. I do think that "more love" for the detail (if this makes sence) is given to a Schauer. However I would go for the Stowa 1938 chrono.....and I did, - have the no date and have a black one on order which will be here in NOV.

In a nutshell: The 1938.
    Mike, can Stowa customize the 1938 black w/o a date? Is there a "6" hour marker in place of the date? Love to see how it turns out against the 1938 with date...
    Personally I don't feel a watch exclusive for being made 500 pieces p.a. I feel that a watch must make you feel comfortable being more important.That's why I had a hard time thinking over these 2. Really attracted to both but I don't see myself buying both.
    Mike, What's the difference between the chronograph 1938 black with Valijoux 7753 & chronograph edition 9 with Valijoux 7751 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Manolete View Post
    Dear Tomaski, This is a great problem to have and from my point of view, if you don't include price as an issue, what you are really doing is deciding between a classic look (1938 Chrono) and a more modern one (Schauer). The Schauer is clearly the more unusual piece and as Mike says is likely made with a bit more attention to detail. Without taking aesthetics into account it is the finer work of horology. The 1938 Chrono is a gorgeously rendered example of a classic type of watch by the team assembled by a master watchmaker, Herr Schauer. All things being equal, I'd buy the the 1938 Chrono, because of the applied numerals, the classic lines and a better price. But I have to admit that I simply don't see myself wearing a Schauer watch because of the way they look. I can't get over those screws around the bezel. Too busy for me. Not sure if this helps, but those are my thoughts.
    Bro manolete, I agree with your views that 1938 chrono have a more elegant/classic appeal. I feel exactly the same way whenever I see the 1938 pic online. But on the other hand edition 9 shows a different style. Would say it's more of both sporty and classic. And I find the dial of edition 9 easy to interpret and nice sub-dials with a "moon". About those screws around the bezel I find those are unique and looks good on my part. Have no issue with them. Nice to hear your opinions on both watches. Now have to feel and think which 1 to go for... ...

That is a conundrum indeed, and as said above, even bigger if the price is not an issue to you. I haven't got any of them, so the following may help with your decision, from an objective point of view. It has to be said though, to me a watch always 'calls me' in first place, and I am lucky in that so far I have always known exactly what I wanted. This are some pointers to help you balance the pros and cons although I won't take into account any price differences.

First the Schauer, it is a sporty looking watch, a high quality watch and an unique one also. I would choose this one if it was going to be my daily watch, only because of its more simple looks and the fact that it probably goes with just about anything. It is a very elegant watch, with more simplicity to it despite the screws around the dial.

Second the 1938 chrono, a more classical looking watch, also a high quality watch that to me seems to be destined to be a 'Sunday watch', a watch that you admire for its beautiful colors and wear only in the best occasions, probably starting a few conversations. An absolute stunner. Incredibly elegant as well, but in a more subtle way.

This is only my opinion, but I hope it helps. Keep us updated
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

Quote Originally Posted by Txemizo View Post
    That is a conundrum indeed, and as said above, even bigger if the price is not an issue to you. I haven't got any of them, so the following may help with your decision, from an objective point of view. It has to be said though, to me a watch always 'calls me' in first place, and I am lucky in that so far I have always known exactly what I wanted. This are some pointers to help you balance the pros and cons although I won't take into account any price differences.

First the Schauer, it is a sporty looking watch, a high quality watch and an unique one also. I would choose this one if it was going to be my daily watch, only because of its more simple looks and the fact that it probably goes with just about anything. It is a very elegant watch, with more simplicity to it despite the screws around the dial.

Second the 1938 chrono, a more classical looking watch, also a high quality watch that to me seems to be destined to be a 'Sunday watch', a watch that you admire for its beautiful colors and wear only in the best occasions, probably starting a few conversations. An absolute stunner. Incredibly elegant as well, but in a more subtle way.

This is only my opinion, but I hope it helps. Keep us updated
    Bro Txemizo, I liked what you had commented. I shared the same sentiments as you in that a watch must call out to "me" first. I was first attracted by the MO with red 12 the one I had to get but missed the boat. And then after I went for the classic MO and never regret my buy on the MO. The MO till this day I still enjoy looking and wearing it on days. This is what I like about going for watches that can satisfy me. Right now I had made 1 confirmed order but still thinking about the 1938 chrono black or edition 9. Which one I intend to go for is still pretty much in the air but a decision will come sooner or later. Which one will it be I am keeping mum till I receive the watch and post for all the bros to see...

Dear WUS bros
    I am pleased to inform Stowa had delivered 2 nice watches on 08.12.2011 that I had ordered some time ago.
    This is good news to me and I like to think these are presents for the year 2011 coming to end soon.
    Also, I like to express my appreciations to the STOWA team for their effort in acquiring my Stowa No.2 and No.3
    And have a nice day... ... ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information