My new MO, should I send it back?

Thread: My new MO, should I send it back?

My new MO, should I send it back?

Hi there,

My MO I ordered in January finally arrived yesterday after several delays. I must admit it is a very beautiful watch in person and I am happy I picked it. I am new to watches and have a few questions about the watch that all you experts here can help me decide if I should send it back or not.
    First thing is the accuracy, I seems to be running a little over +20 seconds in 24 hrs. I realize it is new and will take a few months to break in but I did not expect it to be off by that much after reading how accurate this movement is. Should I send it back to be regulated or should I wait 6 months for it to settle down first?

Second thing is I noticed a scratch just above the balance wheel that must be from a tool when the watch was built. It is hard to see but it is there. Is this normal for hand built watches or should I be sending it back to be fixed?

I also order two small straps and they are too short for my 170cm wrist so Regine said I can mail them back for longer ones.

If I do send the watch back does that mean I have to pay another $216 for duty and taxes when it arrives back in Canada? If so I will live with the scratch and just get it regulated here in a few months.

Thanks
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My new MO, should I send it back?

Hi Greg,

many congrats to your beautiful MO.
    Wait a few weeks and if the accuracy isn't going to become better, send it back to STOWA - or have it regulated at your hometown.
    The "scratch" is a scratch - but a really tiny one.
    I wouldn't bother. If you do, you have to send it back.

...and with such a "killer wrist" of 170 cm you won't get any strap that fits.

Have fun with your MO,

Volker

When my watchmaker here in Quebec saw my MO, he told me that the swan-neck regulator would make it easy to adjust the watch to almost perfect accuracy. I would seek out someone who could do the job who is closer to you than Germany....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, I will keep the watch and get it regulated here in a month or two after it breaks in .

you can always send a pic of the scratch to Jorg (aka Stowa customer service) and ask his opinion. i've done something similar. i would imagine he would tell you it's within tolerances. but i can't be certain. if it's not, i am sure he would gladly pay for shipping back to germany for a replacement. you may still have to pay all the duties and such. but that's a really tiny mark and i think if you look that closely at any movement you will likely find something similar. but it never hurts to ask Stowa their opinion. and it might make you feel better if they think it's fine.

as for the timing, i am pretty sure based upon what i've seen here that Jorg would ask that you send it back to them to have it better regulated. he again may pay for shipping. i think i remember others complaining once or twice that their watch was off by about the same 20 seconds per day or slightly more, and Jorg said to send it back to them and they'd take care of it. i don't want to keep speaking for Stowa, but i am pretty certain i've seen him respond this way to very similar situations on this very forum. again, i'd bring it up with Stowa and just see what they say. 20 seconds isn't horrible, but Stowa takes great pains to regulate their movements very carefully and i think they'd like to know if yours is that far off. good luck. keep us posted.
    GW300A-2V
    GS-1000BJ-1A9JF
    DW6900-1V
    G9000-3V
    DW-6900WCJ-9ER (FIFA)
    DW-5600WC-1DR (FIFA)
    G9100-2
    GW5525A-1
    DW6600C-1V

Duty has already been paid when it entered Canada the first time. Re-importation of the same item should not be subject to duty. There is a paper trail that has to be used, but the important thing is to provide the original importation documents when it leaves Canada again for Germany. I suppose GST is payable (theoretically) on the "repair", but the repair is (may be!) under warranty so there shouldn't be anything. Go to gov.ca and the info is there.
    Casio: PAW1300-1V
    Nomos: Tangomat (Zeta), Tetra Large (Alpha)
    Rolex: Air King (ca. 1982), Cellini (c.a. 1980)
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde
    Stowa: Marine Original (Serial), Fleiger Original (Serial)
    Tutima: F2 PR

Thanks again,
    Regine said to give it a few weeks and if it is still +20 to send it back. She said it should not run faster than +15 a day.

Good luck with it. The movement, although beautifully executed, is not an uncommon one. If you are content with the small defect on the movement and are only concerned about regulation, then it would be far easier to have a local watchmaker do that work for you, and I agree with Canuck Jim on this. Enjoy your new treasure!!!
    Casio: PAW1300-1V
    Nomos: Tangomat (Zeta), Tetra Large (Alpha)
    Rolex: Air King (ca. 1982), Cellini (c.a. 1980)
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde
    Stowa: Marine Original (Serial), Fleiger Original (Serial)
    Tutima: F2 PR

Quote Originally Posted by redbike View Post
    Good luck with it. The movement, although beautifully executed, is not an uncommon one. If you are content with the small defect on the movement and are only concerned about regulation, then it would be far easier to have a local watchmaker do that work for you, and I agree with Canuck Jim on this. Enjoy your new treasure!!!
    I'm here in Abbotsford and would be very interested in seeing the watch. Please let me know if we can get together.

John

Hi John,

You are welcome to come have a look at it. PM me if you are are heading out this way.

Greg

Thread Information