New Aquisition: Stowa A Dial - My Modern Flieger
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New Aquisition: Stowa A Dial - My Modern Flieger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

I wanted to craft a thread about the newest edition to my small collection. Over the years, I have owned several Stowa A models including the 1'st edition Unitas, the LE; the 41mm FO1 and FOSE editions; and ETA 2801, 2824 versions. I have also had Uhr watches from Laco, IWC, Archimede, Wempe, Zenith and others. But, I have always owned a Stowa model Uhr. There is just something special about the Stowa 40mm/20mm/<10mm case and its proportions. My wrist shape is flat with approximate measurements of 7.6-7.75" for reference.

While I can certainly understand those that love the sterile dial and onion crown (firmly in this camp for 10+ years), I specifically wanted a hand-winder featuring the new logo and signed crown. I think it epitomizes THE modern Flieger for Stowa with historic queues (including the arabics and mechanical handwound movement) blending beautifully with the manufacture's modern queues (case/lug shape, blued min/hr hand, diamond-shaped counter weight to sweep seconds hand, signed crown & logo).

The color of the grey Stowa logo matches the brushed Fricker case and contrasts nicely against the blued hands. This contrast makes the dial more dynamic.

If the logo were white, the color of the C3 lume would appear "aged/yellowish" against the flat white color of the logo print. This may be partly why grey was used, but is only my thought. I would have considered the white logo version logo if it was available, though. Of course, the white logo would be more prominent in low light. But, I understand the decision from Stowa to be more subtle, and to allow the design of the watch to shine on its own merit.

This said, I really love the grey logo. It catches light at times showing a bit of sparkle (similar to the rhodium finish of the Prodiver and Ikarus). Also reflecting the light are the flame-blued hands; these appear black most times, but very blue in the right light.

It gets posted regularly but worth acknowledging again; The customization that is available to customers from Stowa is quite excellent. This particular Flieger proudly dons some historic roots, but also allows the more recent styling, Stowa name and German quality to be deservedly showcased. I hoped even to interest Team Stowa with the ideation of this modern Stowa Flieger model whence ordering. I believe it to be the first made to this point with this configuration.

The SW215-1 movement, sans date complication -- and with extra crown stop position removed at my behest (now standard for orders, at least at the moment) -- is running at a slightly swift +10.5 seconds per day. The Sellita movement is not as nicely finished as the ETA2801 to my eyes (a bit more engraved text on the 2801 and a deeper engraved gilt Stowa logo on bridge), but still looks great. The 215-1 offers a bit more resistance than with the 2801 and is a great deal more pleasing to wind than a 2824 auto. I have not yet owned a Sellita-based mechanical piece, so tightness still could be attributed to it being new and breaking in. Still does not wind like a low-beat Unitas, but does wind very nicely. I have actually had the watch running since I received in December.

Another small difference in this watch VS other Stowa handwinding models is that the writing on the caseback reverse is in English VS in German as in the previous 2801-based, Handaufzug version(s). I prefer slightly the German text on the caseback, for what it's worth.

I realize that Uhr purists do not particularly care for the look of a RAF/NATO strap, but this watch looks and works great on them. Having owned watches with diamond and onion variants, I appreciate the lower profile of the standard crown. There's very little dig into the skin.

Anyway, I hope some of my observations assist in those possibly interested in Stowa. Uhr/Observer watch styles are popular amongst new and old watch collectors, and I think you get a great bit for your money with a Stowa Flieger. Always have.

And now onto some pics. Enjoy!

Last edited by soaking.fused; January 27th, 2016 at 19:24.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: New Aquisition: Stowa A Dial - My Modern Flieger

Copied from PUBLIC FORUM.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Great write-up!

I just sent an email to the Stowa team on Friday getting a quote for a no logo/no date SW 215 Flieger and was about to pull the trigger when I see these photos and think, "Hmm, that signed crown sure does look nice..."

Darn you soaking.fused! Second time you've put the kibosh on me in the last couple of weeks ;)
    Doulos Christos likes this.
    Instagram: @watchonmywrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Watchman View Post
    Great write-up!

I just sent an email to the Stowa team on Friday getting a quote for a no logo/no date SW 215 Flieger and was about to pull the trigger when I see these photos and think, "Hmm, that signed crown sure does look nice..."

Darn you soaking.fused! Second time you've put the kibosh on me in the last couple of weeks ;)
    Thanks, man.

Also, I dig how the Stowa logo on the crown matches and can be seen on the dial next to the text. It is a timepiece with great cohesion.
    Last edited by soaking.fused; January 26th, 2016 at 06:39.

Outstanding write-up. That standard crown looks exceptionally sharp. Fantastic choice.

Nice write up and pics! I've really been enjoying my Stowa Flieger (no date, no logo, auto) since I got it in Dec.

Great write up and awesome pics, good taste too with your choice of straps.... I ENVY YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by soaking.fused View Post
    Thanks, man.

Also, I dig how the Stowa logo on the crown matches and can be seen on the dial next to the text. It is a timepiece with great cohesion.
    Completely agree. Your pictures will injure my wallet! … Just when I thought it was safe to leave my collection alone for a while.
    mreyman73 likes this.

Yes, wonderful observations. The new logo is starting to grow on me the more I see it on these watches, especially the fliegers. That is a great acquisition and I think that, even though I'm somewhat opposed to doing it myself, it looks great on the Natos, especially the leather Natos.

But that Crown! Looks wonderful. I saw you post this watch on the who's wearing a Stowa thread and thought that you had requested Stowa to replace the onion crown with this one, not understanding that it is now standard with the handwinding version, if I am understanding this correctly.

Enjoy your new Stowa - it's amazing!
    "And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." -- John Donne

Excellent! Well done with the write up! I really appreciate member's write ups. Thanks for taking the time.
    Watch looks quite sharp on the natos. Never seen one on an orange strap, I'm such a sucker for orange….

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information