New Flieger question...

Thread: New Flieger question...

New Flieger question...

I received my Flieger auto (ETA 2824-2) while abroad and was finally able to get to it this past Monday.

For the initial winding I wound the crown maybe 30 times clockwise and then proceeded to wear the watch.

I didn't touch the crown again until after maybe a couple days because the watch was off maybe +10 seconds. When I pulled the crown out at first I think I did not pull it far enough and the hands did not stop moving. I pushed it back in again, pulled it out slightly more and firmer, and then hands stopped, I set the time, pushed it back in, and everything is working fine.

The watch is currently quite accurate, maybe a couple seconds fast (or less) after 24 hours. I wear it all day and am quite active, I walk a lot.

However, I noticed yesterday that the crown is unable to move clockwise (moves counter clockwise smoothly and easily), and has very firm resistance, I would need to provide considerable force to move it. I have tried to find a good answer to this by searching, but I am seeing conflicting answers.

Is this condition normal? Also, it should be noted that the condition persists even after the watch sits overnight for 8 hours.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, this is my first automatic watch, and I tried in earnest to find a good answer before posting.

Thank you

Re: New Flieger question...

Welcome to the forums! Is it truly unable to wind when pushed in? Or does it just sort of provide resistance and provide some odd feeling/sounding feedback? The 2824 really wasn't to be manually wound often, so the feedback is sort unpleasant feeling...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

It provides enough resistance that I am not comfortable trying to move it. During the initial winding it felt perfectly fine and was smooth.

I have read that it should simply keep turning because of the over wind protection. But it seems like it won't budge.

This is why I'm concerned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is this just a normal condition for a fully wound ETA 2824-2 movement?

It shouldn't feel any different from the first time you wound the watch. If it feels a lot firmer then maybe the clutch mechanism has failed prematurely. I have two Stowa fliegers with the 2824-2 (one is TOP and one is basic grade) and the clockwise tension always feels the same whether they are fully wound or fully unwound. Furthermore the tension has never changed since I've owned the watches. Shoot an email to Stowa when they get back from the holidays in January. They'll sort you out. They always do!
    Last edited by Up-n-coming; December 26th, 2015 at 01:51.

In a hand wind movement like the 2801 there is a mechanism to provide sufficient resistance and warning to let you know the movement is fully wound. The 2824 might be similar but the sign could be less obvious.

I don't think it's a good idea to hand wind the 2824 on a daily basis because it's not designed to be. Just turn the crown a few turns to start it up and let your wrist movement do the rest of the winding for you. Personally, I would even avoid turning the crown but rather I would just shake and wear it so the movement can be wound up naturally.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

No resistance to feel on an Eta 2824-2 since there is a clutch to prevent overwinding. Theoretically spoken you can wind up an automatic movement for hours.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am thinking I am being overly paranoid. I turned it clockwise and it turned fine. It just has some initial resistance. I believe that it is probably totally fine and I simply did not recall correctly how much resistance it had during the initial winding.

My mistake, I apologize for the alarm.

As well, I would like to compliment Stowa on what an excellent job they do.

It is a very polished product and you can tell Stowa take great pride in what they do. It's a company I am very happy to support.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Enjoy your Flieger.
    Happy Holidays.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information