New Marine 36 - spot on the dial, realistic repair expectations?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Marine 36 - spot on the dial, realistic repair expectations?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Marine 36 - spot on the dial, realistic repair expectations?

Hello!

I just noticed that there is a black mark on the face of my new Marine 36. Having inspected the mark with a loupe, I was able to clearly see that the mark (or lint?) is on the surface of the dial itself and not the crystal. Earlier this evening I reached out to Stowa and highlighted the issue with a photo. They indicated that it would cost 85 EUR to ship the watch back via FedEx and if it is a warranty repair, they would cover the 59 EUR shipping back to AU. Otherwise, I would be on the hook for a full 144 EUR round trip. I was a bit surprised, as it seems strange to me that I would be responsible for shipping the watch back to them, when it is something that never should have been there in the first place.

Does this look like something I should expect Stowa to take care of (including shipping) or am I being unreasonable? (I only have photos from my mobile.)

Name:  f0d16001-5875-4f0c-adde-1f776864dcc9.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  270.5 KBName:  4B40E989-3CBD-403B-8C3A-A9822D5F55D4.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  39.3 KB

As much as I enjoy Stowa watches, this is my fourth purchase from them and my third issue. I'm hoping you all can offer some perspective!

Cheers,
    evanr

Re: New Marine 36 - spot on the dial, realistic repair expectations?

i honestly think you're being unreasonable. for a watch at this price point, there are bound to be errors here and there and the one afflicting your watch is so miniscule that it's hardly worth mentioning.

if it really bugs you, however, go ahead and send it back.
    IWC Portuguese Chronograph
    Glashütte Original Senator Automatic
    Montblanc Heritage Moonphase

Stowa Marine Klassik
    Stowa Partitio

I expect a CLEAN dial on any watch, it's the MAIN FEATURE of the watch,irregardless of cost, I would expect at least to get a exchange, I would be willing to pay half to ship it back.... Oh wait on second thought had the seller told me "I'll knock off 100.00 bucks if there is dirt on the dial because that's within tolerances" I might say ok. Not.
    PS Stowa is on my short list for a pilot watch, I think they are beautiful! But they better send me a clean one.
    Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Slm643; February 7th, 2019 at 17:17.
    ExMachina and Rosenbloom like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not unreasonable--I'm sure Stowa will take care of you.

Is there a local watchmaker / someone that can service the watch near you? Instead of having to post it all that way and wait a while for them to get round to sorting the lint? Would you have to ask stowa if you could do that so that the warranty isn't invalidated?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Sponsor / Moderator

Dear evanr,

I guess this was a misunderstanding, of course we take over the costs for the pickup of the watch and the shipping back to you.

In our email there is following note:

*IMPORTANT:
    After receipt of your watch we will be able to tell you if shipping back to us is free of charge or if you have to pay the transport cost. If the watch is still under warranty there will normally be no charge.

Please contact us (in response to our email) so that we can arrange the pickup of the watch as soon as possible.

Best regards, your STOWA Team from the Black Forest/Germany
    dmnc, MHe225, ExMachina and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Schauer View Post
    Dear evanr,

I guess this was a misunderstanding, of course we take over the costs for the pickup of the watch and the shipping back to you.

In our email there is following note:

*IMPORTANT:
    After receipt of your watch we will be able to tell you if shipping back to us is free of charge or if you have to pay the transport cost. If the watch is still under warranty there will normally be no charge.

Please contact us (in response to our email) so that we can arrange the pickup of the watch as soon as possible.

Best regards, your STOWA Team from the Black Forest/Germany
    Thank you so much for the clarification, Jorg! Very pleased to hear that the round trip to Stowa and back to me will be covered (if it is a warranty repair). I will follow-up by email shortly.

Cheers,
    evanr

Hey evanr,

The same thing happened to me with my first Stowa purchased back in 2017. I documented it here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/br...l-4580049.html

Things like this really make you question the competency and eyesight of the person doing the final inspection of the watch. Or perhaps they are disgruntled and pass the watch despite the flaw? Or maybe a final QC check isn't even being done? Who knows. Makes you scratch your head, because the first time I scrutinized the dial of my watch, after having it strapped to my wrist for less than an hour, I noticed the issue easily with my naked eye. How does a trained watchmaker, examining a watch specifically for flaws both with his naked eye and also a loupe, not notice it?

To their credit, Stowa rectified the issue free of charge. However, when I received the watch back, it didn't hack properly. Stowa denied this was even a problem.

Jorg should ensure to not include the...

*IMPORTANT:

...addendum to emails when a brand new watch has a fault witch is obviously covered under warranty, thus preventing future consternation.

If you can see it with the naked eye, it’s unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ExMachina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by djcoronel View Post
    i honestly think you're being unreasonable. for a watch at this price point, there are bound to be errors here and there and the one afflicting your watch is so miniscule that it's hardly worth mentioning.

if it really bugs you, however, go ahead and send it back.
    Its a noticeable black mark on a white dial on a premium watch. It should be rectified.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information