New: Stowa Antea 390 DynaDots
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New: Stowa Antea 390 DynaDots

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

New: Stowa Antea 390 DynaDots

In may 2019, the dynadots dial concept developed in 2014-2017 will be transferred into a new watch.

Name:  F9FE0A7B-1C92-4086-95EF-8EB9061C3932.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  232.7 KB

The Antea 390 dynadots now combines the unique design of the dynadots with a well-known STOWA case which already exist for a long time. The sustainable conception of the Antea 390 dynadots - the watch can be easily maintained by the use of a mechanical movement and the simple case shape and special surfaces - makes it usable for generations.

Name:  ADF30D26-7C86-45CF-9E10-73A026D54C59.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  251.2 KB

This sustainability concept has already been awarded this year for another model, the Verus 40 won the reddot design award 2019 for its new sustainability. With the Antea 390 Dynadot and the Antea 1919, STOWA consistently continues on this path.

For specs, prices please click here: https://www.stowa.de/en/Antea+Klassi...hite+black.htm
    Slm643 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: New: Stowa Antea 390 DynaDots

The dots look a bit lost on a big dial. It may look better on an Antea 365 than a 390.

Meh, sorry.

Schauer and Esslinger are great, and the "Rana" was a wonderful, fun collaboration, (and the Flieger DIN, really great) but just inserting the Dynadots dial in an Antea case feels too forced, or too simple. Why that case? Just "because"? After the Antea "Back to Bauhaus" it seems a new Schauer/Esslinger approach to the case as well would have been a truly interesting project.

This design seems out of sorts for Stowa; not nearly as congruent as their past philosophy and more like something Ochs und Junior, etc. might do to make their pieces look "more sophisticated". In the end the result is not as much interesting complexity as it is just odd contradiction.

Perhaps it might look better in a 365 case rather than a 390 case, but I am not so sure this minimalism the designers are looking for is simply a matter of scaling this design up or down. And, if it were a matter of simple scaling, then that is also its own kind of problem. This 390 DD just feels off regardless, and somehow further inappropriate to the iconic Antea case ...first numerals, then sticks, and now dots...that path now feels as much like convenient indecision as it feels like concentrated design.
    OnTheRoad99 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the black dial one. Would love to see this with lumed hands, indices and color sweep.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

This looks like something that came out of a Swatch production line. Sorry but this design is nowhere in the same league as Nomos.

Stowa has a great catalog of watches just waiting to be reissued and take my money. See attached pics for examples. I don't understand why the company doesn't tap into its own history like other watch manufacturers have done so with success.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Dimardi and Bhanu Chopra like this.

Sorry,
    wrong thread,

Volker
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chickenlittle View Post
    Stowa has a great catalog of watches just waiting to be reissued and take my money. See attached pics for examples. I don't understand why the company doesn't tap into its own history like other watch manufacturers have done so with success.
    Mr. Schauer's ambitions seem to go beyond Stowa's history. Of course he has to stick with the iconic models, but real freedom is to make something new, even if you only sell small quantities of it.

I got the email on this one and honestly, not a fan. It just seems to “new age” to me and what are Dynadots anyways?
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Dynadots are these dots of progressively increasing size (the smallest at 1 and the biggest at 12).

If I remember well, it was first used on a LE Seatime (on the bezel) and then on a version of the Rana.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenlittle View Post
    This looks like something that came out of a Swatch production line. Sorry but this design is nowhere in the same league as Nomos.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Couldn't agree more, chickenlittle. Those reverse panda chronographs are absolutely to die for.

What I'd really like to see would be for Jorg to use his Schauer brand to push the envelope on a lot of the more edgy and trendy design concepts, while having the Stowa brand assume more of an evolutionary rather than revolutionary posture. I fully appreciate that when it's your company and you aren't beholden to a parentCo like Richemont or Swatch that you have the license to push the creative envelope as you see fit, though I just wish we could see a greater emphasis on the brand's history from Stowa. It seems that Jorg is pretty keenly focused on placing greater weight on a newly-defined future for the brand, which of course is his perogative. I certainly would do things differently, but I just own Stowa watches while he owns the Stowa company.

One innovation I'd like to see that would still be compatible with bringing back some vintage references would be to focus on producing an in-house calibre - anyone else? Recognizing the technological undertaking that this represents and the commensurate higher cost that would have to be passed onto consumers, I believe there are plenty of Stowa loyalists (myself included) that would gladly part with an extra $1000+ in order to have an in-house calibre powering a beautiful Stowa timepiece. Pairing such an innovation with a timeless, historical design like the reverse panda chrono included above would be a harmonious marriage of the old and new, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information