New to Stowa and curious of quality/longevity
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New to Stowa and curious of quality/longevity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New to Stowa and curious of quality/longevity

Hi everyone.

I made the mistake of buying a limited edition Oris Pilot last year. I love its looks and wanted something different, that nobody else had. It was inexpensive (compared to its Swiss brothers) and I was worried if I wasted my money.

I had it for 1 week and it fell off the kitchen counter (about 1 1/2 meters) on to the floor and BROKE!! The second hand came off and the luminous digits all came off and were tumbling around inside the watch.

Thank GOD I was able to return it. I swore I'd never buy another BUDGET minded watch again.

Then, one day, I came across Stowa. Wow, I love this watch. The looks are so simple and structured.

But, I am afraid that I'll waste my money again on something that will break the first time it's dropped on the floor.

What assurance can you offer me to convince me that your watches will withstand normal every day abuse and last a long long time??

Thanks,

Tom Longo
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA

Re: New to Stowa and curious of quality/longevity

Dollar for dollar, I would be quite confident with a Timex Ironman or Casio G-shock on my wrist. Unless smashed purposely, these watches can pretty much survive any harsh conditions like swimming, diving, dropping from 4ft or more from above. But for mechanical watches, I personally don't think any brand would guarantee DROP proof, but normally mechanical watches can withstand daily use for many years when taken good care of.

Stowa watches are precise time pieces and quality is very good. I would assume it runs strong for many years and won't fall into parts.

I have an Omega Seamaster Professional that has not left my wrist in nearly 11 years. It's been through 3 seasons of motorcross racing and hundreds of wild jet ski ventures and snow skiing vacations in Vermont and a host of other rigorous hobbies. It's been wacked, smacked, cracked, clunked, bunked and banged and still functions like new. I had it serviced at its 5 year mark and is just unbelievable in its durability.

1 drop off of my kitchen counter onto a vinyl floor and the second hand pops off and all of the luminous dots fall off inside the glass of the Oris????

Forget it! Piece of junk waste of 1,000 USD.

I don't expect an automatic watch to be bomb proof.....but then the second hand and the luminous dots had nothing to do with the mechanical function of the watch anyway...right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thumper07 View Post
    I have an Omega Seamaster Professional that has not left my wrist in nearly 11 years. It's been through 3 seasons of motorcross racing and hundreds of wild jet ski ventures and snow skiing vacations in Vermont and a host of other rigorous hobbies. It's been wacked, smacked, cracked, clunked, bunked and banged and still functions like new. I had it serviced at its 5 year mark and is just unbelievable in its durability.

1 drop off of my kitchen counter onto a vinyl floor and the second hand pops off and all of the luminous dots fall off inside the glass of the Oris????

Forget it! Piece of junk waste of 1,000 USD.

I don't expect an automatic watch to be bomb proof.....but then the second hand and the luminous dots had nothing to do with the mechanical function of the watch anyway...right?
    Actually the damage of dropping the Oris to the vinyl floor could be more severe than wearing the Seamaster in those rigorous sports games. I made this assumption based on Physics: Impulse (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oris is a nice watch though, I have seen both hands and lume dots falling off the dial when the watch has been dropped, on some big names like IWC. But none of them are piece of junk IMO.

Not to sound like a moderator here, but this thread has gone way off topic. The man asked a question: "What assurance can you offer me to convince me that [Stowas] will withstand normal every day abuse and last a long long time??" I own a Stowa, but I'd like to hear the answer to that question.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I do think that all watches can break. It really depends on how they hit the floor. However these Stowa watches survived 40 years of wear and tear

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks, Mike.

How much more accurate is the optional Chrono motor?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Please try the search function just typing COSC. Lots of threads covering this issue.

Sources you may look at: wikipedia, www.eta.ch.

Standard and Elaboré:
    Mainspring - Nivaflex NO
    Shock protection - Etachocs
    Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Nickel gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Nivarox 2
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

Top and Chronometre:
    Mainspring - NivaflexNM
    Shock protection - Incabloc
    Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Glucydur gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Anachron
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

Standard:
    2 positions (CH, 6H)
    daily rate: +/-12 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 30 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

Elaboré:
    3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H)
    daily rate: +/-7 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 20 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

Top:
    5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
    daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Chronometre:
    As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade.
    For COSC see: www.cosc.ch
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; April 12th, 2011 at 22:42.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by thumper07 View Post
    I had it for 1 week and it fell off the kitchen counter (about 1 1/2 meters) on to the floor and BROKE!! The second hand came off and the luminous digits all came off and were tumbling around inside the watch.

But, I am afraid that I'll waste my money again on something that will break the first time it's dropped on the floor.

What assurance can you offer me to convince me that your watches will withstand normal every day abuse and last a long long time??
    I doubt that anyone will give you an assurance that you can drop your mechanical watch on the floor and that nothing will break. Dropping a watch is not "normal every day abuse"

If you really do expect to be dropping your watches often, you'd probably be happier with a gshock or some other, inexpensive quartz watch. Preferably digital without any analog hands. Many should be able to survive a fall to the floor without severe damage, and even if it does get damaged or destroyed it's not that big of a financial hardship.

Stowas, like many other watches discussed here, are fine, well made and reasonably durable watches. There's some shock protection in the movement, but not enough to guarantee that it'll always survive a drop. There's also the issue that the balance spring may get tangled up due to a hard fall and that'll result in the watch running very, very fast. Some watches may not scratch as easily due to their sapphire crystals or how the case is treated and some movements may even have some additional shock protection (such as an IWC Ingenieur) but none are ones that I would purposely drop on the floor and not expect some damage.

Thankfully I've yet to drop a watch on a hard floor. I do wear my mechanical watches when riding motorcycles, swimming, doing yard work and for just about everything else that I do, and I have yet to have any serious problems. I've scratched the watches of course, but no watch has ever stopped running or had pieces break off...

Well, according to everyone here, it seems as if a short drop on a semi soft floor is hazardous to a mechanical watch. I guess I got spoiled by the toughness of my Omega and thought that all watches should hold up as well.

I guess I was wrong. I guess if I suspect it may ever be possible that I drop my watch on the floor that I should buy a 20 dollar Timex instead of something nice.

Thanks for the tips.

Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information