New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 10
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

It's going to be real interesting to see how many that say they will not buy a Stowa with new logo eat their words in the future. It's right here in black and white to look back on.

Personally, there's no way in the world I would ever let a font type of all things keep me from purchasing a Stowa.

Lets recap what people appreciate about Stowa that brings them here in the first place:

1) An unwavering attention to detail and amount of QC second to none.
    2) A price to quality ratio that can not be matched.
    3) Customer service that has ALWAYS gone above and beyond. Just to name a few.

Now I'm going to forget about all of this like it doesn't matter because of a font change... I can't even say that with a straight face. Not in this lifetime. Try going somewhere else in the German watch world and get as much for your money. Good luck since Stowa is no longer on your radar... supposedly.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; May 30th, 2013 at 06:14.
    frogger17 and The Naf like this.

+1

Full disclosure: I did say I liked the new logo.

I personally chose a Stowa as my next watch based on the CM HUNTER's list, and to be clear, it was a no-logo flieger.

I don't discount the very real feelings everyone has, but are the core values of Stowa really changing? The analogy of Coke's formula change has been brought up. And granted, the Stowa logo is more important than Coke's packaging, but the formula change is much closer to something along the lines of Stowa saying that they will discontinue all MO, flieger, and Antea production, which they are not doing.

Quote Originally Posted by CM HUNTER View Post
    Lets recap what people appreciate about Stowa that brings them here in the first place:

Now I'm going to forget about all of this like it doesn't matter because of a font change...Try going somewhere else in the German watch world and get as much for your money.
    Nailed it!
    One watch kinda guy
    "My watch does a lot more than just tell the time...
    it tells a life story..."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's going to be real interesting to see how many that say they will not buy a Stowa with new logo eat their words in the future. It's right here in black and white to look back on.

Personally, there's no way in the world I would ever let a font type of all things keep me from purchasing a Stowa.

Lets recap what people appreciate about Stowa that brings them here in the first place: 1) An unwavering attention to detail and amount of QC second to none.

Now I'm going to forget about all of this like it doesn't matter because of a font change... I can't even say that with a straight face. Not in this lifetime. Try going somewhere else in the German watch world and get as much for your money. Good luck since Stowa is no longer on your radar... supposedly.
    It is true that Stowa is a great watch for the money, and the logo change would definitely not stop me from buying a Stowa, but it might stop me from buying a specific one. I agree with many posters that the new logo is great for some if the newer designs, but I do not like it on some older ones (1938 in my case). For me, the aesthetics have to be perfect to keep a watch, I find myself flipping $500 watches over little details, and I see that magnifying for a $2000 watch. There are numerous quality watches in that price range that I love, and a small change that I don't like definitely bumps it down a few spots on the wish list. Having said that, Stowa makes fantastic watches and I would not dismiss the brand over something like this, I would just wait until something else catches my eye! (Or watch the sales forum for an old logo version)

Let's divide people into "just consumers that need a good watch for a good price". And "watch enthusiasts".
    Those who need a watch with good quality / price ratio will buy watches Stowa as before.
    Those who are interested in the history of watches, who need a watch with a soul can turn away from Stowa.
    Look at the website Stowa. Speaking of Antea they point out that these watches were created in 1938. And the design is almost identical to the Antea KS with Antea 1938. And that's exactly what I would choose the Stowa Antea, and not Nomos.
    but now with the new logo is the similarity is not so clearly.
    Now what will stop me from buying Nomos? Price? in fact it is not such a big deal!

Or Imagine the MO with a new logo??

A few weeks ago I ordered a Flieger no-logo, but after the recent events I am now puzzled. Should I stick with my original choice and get it without the old logo, or wait a bit longer and get it without the new logo?

Sorry, just kidding trying to kill the waiting time

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Tough question.
    Welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum and welcome to Watchuseek as well.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum and welcome to Watchuseek as well.
    Thank you and all the people who contribute to make this forum so interesting and entertaining

G.

I don't normally write comments on watch forums (I never have anything to say which others will find interesting ) but I'm so amazed by this announcement that I'm moved to write.

I've been a huge fan of Stowa for a long time. Not just the watches themselves, but the company philosophy, the personal approach to customers from the people at the top and the commitment to preservation of the history of the brand. The reason I'm so surprised by this turn of events is that it seems completely at odds with all of those things.

It's Jörg's company, so of course he can do whatever he wants, but I'm surprised he's not more concerned by the strength of opinion amongst the company's biggest supporters (i.e. the enthusiasts on this forum). I'm also surprised he has made this decision based on advice from someone (as far as I know) without a proven track record in watch design. You see, this is far more than a simple logo change. People on here have compared it to car manufacturers changing their logos (although I must say my Mercedes-Benz still includes examples of the original 1926 laurel leaf logo at many places around the car) and drinks companies changing theirs. This is entirely different. Nobody (at least nobody I know) buys a car based on the design of the manufacturer's logo, as it's such a minor part of the whole car. Nobody buys a soft drink based entirely on the design on the can. When I buy a watch, and I'd like to think I'm not the odd one out here, I make the choice based on a number of factors, such as quality, workmanship, value for money, even company reputation, but mainly design and appearance. This is where my non-watch enthusiast friends think I'm odd but I can honestly say that every one of my favourite watches gives me a moment's pleasure each time I look at it on my wrist. That's why I love watches. My favourites give me pleasure every time I wear them.

The design of a watch is therefore of vital importance to the purchaser and wearer. The biggest part of that design is surely the face, and the logo is a key part of the watch face. To me, a different logo changes the whole look of a watch so not only are Stowa changing their branding and distancing themselves from all that history and heritage which I thought they were keen to preserve, they are also fundamentally changing the design of all the watches we've come to know and love over the years.

Maybe some people prefer the new logo. I'm sure many do. Personally, I think the font is bland and too small, and with the symbol to the left of the letters it looks unbalanced and just plain wrong. Again this puzzles me. Over the years I have come to believe Jörg is a top-notch watch designer for whom even the tiniest detail is important and crucial to achieving the perfect balance in the design of his products. This sudden change seems at odds with his design philosophy.

I also buy watches from a very small British company who have an active online forum. The man in charge of that company often posts initial ideas for new designs on the forum and people then comment, criticise and suggest tweaks. This approach seems to work well and their watches have a strong following as a result. Many comments result in tiny changes to such things as logo design and positioning, and it often surprises me what a difference that makes to the appeal of a design. I'm sure many of you know the company to which I'm referring.

I have no doubt that in the short term, sales of Stowa watches will rocket as a result of this announcement by Jörg. Many people (me included) will be ordering watches hastily so they can get them with the "old" logo. I do wonder though, whether short term gain will result in long term pain as Stowa fans turn their back on the watches they used to love as the designs lose that special appeal? I sincerely hope not.

I see a lot of comments about how it affects the history of Stowa to change a font on a logo. Seriously.

A font in no way changes what Stowa has done in the past at all (which is to build high quality watches). Just like when Jorge took over the company, that major change in ownership (a much bigger episode than a font change) didn't take away from the history of Stowa either. It actually gave it a future.

From one seeking not only a high quality German Made watch, but a high quality German Made watch from a company with a great history, I'd buy a new Stowa with the new logo in a heartbeat. The history of a company doesn't change just because a font type does.
    The Naf likes this.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information