New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 12
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

I personally like the fact that the actual Stowa logo is prominently on the dial now and not just the word Stowa. Instead of just being lost on the crown, it's now a big part of the company branding. Isn't the logo a part of Stowas history as well? Now that the emphasis is less on the font and more on the logo, people have a problem with it... I don't get it.

Not trying to make comparisons between the two brands by no means, but since people like to throw around examples like this, here's one to ponder: What would the Rolex logo/branding be without the famous crown.... just the word Rolex in a fairly plain Times New Roman type of font. The crown is the signature part of their logo. Why can't the W Stowa logo have its place for a change?

Rolex has huge brand name recognition, though. Unless Stowa is planning on shooting for mass production, I think its biggest strength is its history, quality, design aesthetics, and loyal following. Messing with one of those factors may or may not work in its favor depending on how it's received, and it seems like its reception is not as tremendous as one would hope.

Stowa has been making a lot of changes recently with new models, changes to old models (6oclock subdial on a flieger) and this new logo. I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is just that we don't like change.
    Last edited by some.idiot; May 30th, 2013 at 18:01.

Quote Originally Posted by some.idiot View Post
    Rolex has huge brand name recognition, though. Unless Stowa is planning on shooting for mass production, I think its biggest strength is its history, quality, design aesthetics, and loyal following. Messing with one of those factors may or may not work in its favor depending on how it's received, and it seems like its reception is not as tremendous as one would hope.

Stowa has been making a lot of changes recently with new models, changes to old models (6oclock subdial on a flieger) and this new logo. I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is just that we don't like change.
    Rolex got all of that name recognition with that simple font and prominent crown... they didn't start off prominent. That's precisely my point. Who cares if Stowa never gets as big as Rolex (they never will and im glad about that fact).The point is a simple font together with a distinctive logo sure didn't deter people from snatching up Rolexes like crazy.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with your very last sentence "I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is that we just don't like change."
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    A. LANGE & SOHNE HENTSCHEL HAMBURG DAMASKO
    UTS MUNCHEN Glashuette ORIGINAL LEHMANN
    NOMOS GLASHUETTE MORITZ GROSSMANN BENZINGER
    temPtion
    D. DORNBLUETH & SOHNE JUNGHANS

WATCHES CURRENTLY OUT OF THE SAFE IN ROTATION
    DRESS:
    Glashuette Original Senator Observer, JLC MUT
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    Damasko DS30, Laco Paderborn, Archimede A Dial Flieger, Hamilton Field Khaki, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical,
    Citizen Avion Solar Chronograph
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

24 watches & holding steady.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sli

Quote Originally Posted by CM HUNTER View Post
    You hit the nail squarely on the head with your very last sentence "I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is that we just don't like change."
    Sorry, I don't think that "change" is the only reason. Yes, there are more watch types now in Stowa's portfolio. But, you can choose between them.

At the end of the day, it is quite good, that Stowa is going on with its own process - bringing out more models which dip into the past, and models that are really new like the Flieger Testaf.

The problem for me, and I think for many others is, that the new logo design does not fit to the dials of the old models. I think that it fits only to the new Flieger Testaf.

And the logo design belongs to the entire design of a watch. It is definitely not suitable to a discussion about logo modifications of companies which are not acting as a watchmaker - like VW, Mercedes, etc... Nobody cares about it, if they changes their logos!
    Last edited by Sli; May 30th, 2013 at 22:46.
    Ian_O and Fischer like this.

How about a poll?

Can we take a poll and see how many people favors the new logo vs the old logo? Personally I love the old logo.

Quote Originally Posted by CM HUNTER View Post
    The point is a simple font together with a distinctive logo sure didn't deter people from snatching up Rolexes like crazy.
    I think the key word there is distinctive. The most distinctive part of the Stowa logo is the name with the elegant S. if anything, that logo could have been made bigger. The "W" icon on the other hand can't be compared to the Rolex crown. I mean, it's a crown! I don't like it, but there's no confusion about what it is or the message it conveys. The Stowa icon is interesting because its been around a while, but the connection to the brand or what it even is isn't clear. I don't think many people could draw it from memory without looking at it. I assume it might have something to with Walter Storz, but if I had no idea who he was it wouldn't make much sense that the icon would be an abstracted letter from the middle of the company's name. It's also a little too busy to scale down small enough for the dial, but looks good on the crown.

If anyone does know what the "W" icon represents I would like to know. I feel like every letter in Stowa is in there except for the S, but why that would be done, I don't know.

Edit- some clever googling led me to stuffler,mike's verdict:

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    to sum it up: Nobody really knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    A chap on a german watch forum tried to visualize his interpretation....

....but he got into trouble with the "S" of Stowa. However, a nice try I guess.
    Last edited by Polaroid; May 31st, 2013 at 03:45.

Am I blind or why didnt I find a comparison in this thread between the old and new logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
    I think the key word there is distinctive. The most distinctive part of the Stowa logo is the name with the elegant S. if anything, that logo could have been made bigger. The "W" icon on the other hand can't be compared to the Rolex crown. I mean, it's a crown! I don't like it, but there's no confusion about what it is or the message it conveys. The Stowa icon is interesting because its been around a while, but the connection to the brand or what it even is isn't clear. I don't think many people could draw it from memory without looking at it. I assume it might have something to with Walter Storz, but if I had no idea who he was it wouldn't make much sense that the icon would be an abstracted letter from the middle of the company's name. It's also a little too busy to scale down small enough for the dial, but looks good on the crown.

If anyone does know what the "W" icon represents I would like to know. I feel like every letter in Stowa is in there except for the S, but why that would be done, I don't know.

Edit- some clever googling led me to stuffler,mike's verdict:
    I mean distinctive in the sense that it took some creative process to come up with and that's unique to the brand. A crown is a generic item not unique to Rolex as a branding item. Same with wings used by Breitling etc... No one may know what the hell it is, but it's unique to the Stowa brand only, and like it or not, it's Stowa's logo. The stylized S was probably a two second after-thought kinda thing to do, and is not the Stowa logo. I hope Jorge isn't too offended by all those that would rather see a slightly fancy S on the dial instead of the actual company logo. I'm sure he's not because he's Jorge, but he has every right to be.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; May 31st, 2013 at 06:03.
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    temPtion

DRESS:
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    Damasko DS30, Laco Paderborn, Archimede A Dial Flieger, Hamilton Field Khaki, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical,
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

I agree we need to move towards the future and also keeping a balance to the past.

For example, one move forward with progress and improvements .... so in this case, design and function in a watch is important and if the improvement is better, why not!

But I kept looking at the new logo, and personally I do not feel the new logo is an improvement, Sorry Jorg!

Of course this is very subjective because there will always be others who can appreciate the new logo, cheers anyway ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Julyan View Post
    Am I blind or why didnt I find a comparison in this thread between the old and new logo.
    The logo hasn't changed. It's still the same. It's just prominent on the dial now and the Stowa font has slightly changed. The whole thing together now looks like the logo at the top of this page minus the Watches Made In Germany Since 1927 part.
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    temPtion

DRESS:
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information