New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 13
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Re: How about a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by redwatch View Post
    Can we take a poll and see how many people favors the new logo vs the old logo? Personally I love the old logo.
    Here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/new...ll-869276.html

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: How about a poll?

We already have one...
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Julyan View Post
    Am I blind or why didnt I find a comparison in this thread between the old and new logo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor / Moderator

Hello everybody,

i have added a few pictures and descriptions for the new Logo.
    New STOWA Logo, official new pictures !

best regards

Jörg Schauer

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    I don't normally write comments on watch forums (I never have anything to say which others will find interesting ) but I'm so amazed by this announcement that I'm moved to write.

I've been a huge fan of Stowa for a long time. Not just the watches themselves, but the company philosophy, the personal approach to customers from the people at the top and the commitment to preservation of the history of the brand. The reason I'm so surprised by this turn of events is that it seems completely at odds with all of those things.

It's Jörg's company, so of course he can do whatever he wants, but I'm surprised he's not more concerned by the strength of opinion amongst the company's biggest supporters (i.e. the enthusiasts on this forum). I'm also surprised he has made this decision based on advice from someone (as far as I know) without a proven track record in watch design. You see, this is far more than a simple logo change. People on here have compared it to car manufacturers changing their logos (although I must say my Mercedes-Benz still includes examples of the original 1926 laurel leaf logo at many places around the car) and drinks companies changing theirs. This is entirely different. Nobody (at least nobody I know) buys a car based on the design of the manufacturer's logo, as it's such a minor part of the whole car. Nobody buys a soft drink based entirely on the design on the can. When I buy a watch, and I'd like to think I'm not the odd one out here, I make the choice based on a number of factors, such as quality, workmanship, value for money, even company reputation, but mainly design and appearance. This is where my non-watch enthusiast friends think I'm odd but I can honestly say that every one of my favourite watches gives me a moment's pleasure each time I look at it on my wrist. That's why I love watches. My favourites give me pleasure every time I wear them.

The design of a watch is therefore of vital importance to the purchaser and wearer. The biggest part of that design is surely the face, and the logo is a key part of the watch face. To me, a different logo changes the whole look of a watch so not only are Stowa changing their branding and distancing themselves from all that history and heritage which I thought they were keen to preserve, they are also fundamentally changing the design of all the watches we've come to know and love over the years.

Maybe some people prefer the new logo. I'm sure many do. Personally, I think the font is bland and too small, and with the symbol to the left of the letters it looks unbalanced and just plain wrong. Again this puzzles me. Over the years I have come to believe Jörg is a top-notch watch designer for whom even the tiniest detail is important and crucial to achieving the perfect balance in the design of his products. This sudden change seems at odds with his design philosophy.

I also buy watches from a very small British company who have an active online forum. The man in charge of that company often posts initial ideas for new designs on the forum and people then comment, criticise and suggest tweaks. This approach seems to work well and their watches have a strong following as a result. Many comments result in tiny changes to such things as logo design and positioning, and it often surprises me what a difference that makes to the appeal of a design. I'm sure many of you know the company to which I'm referring.

I have no doubt that in the short term, sales of Stowa watches will rocket as a result of this announcement by Jörg. Many people (me included) will be ordering watches hastily so they can get them with the "old" logo. I do wonder though, whether short term gain will result in long term pain as Stowa fans turn their back on the watches they used to love as the designs lose that special appeal? I sincerely hope not.
    I agree with everything posted here, and know exactly which English company referred to. I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Flieger as for me the logo is an intrinsic part of what I am buying, and it has great history to it.

I suspect there will indeed be a spike in orders and possibly an increased demand in the future for old logo models in the pre owned market, but on the flip side the quality and VFM should ensure strong future sales.

We also tend to have short memories, but perhaps not so in the WIS world...

Personally I also think the new logo is unbalanced, but ask 3 people and you'll get 4 opinions!

I know this from trying to get marketing material agreed with my co Directors! Luckily now I only input on regulatory disclosure requirements.

And now a long wait for my Stowa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ian_O likes this.

Hi all,

Long-time lurker (amazing forum, btw) who's signed up for an account just to post in this thread. Like many here, I've admired Stowa for some time as a company producing beautiful watches at very competitive prices. Personally, I feel that the logo change takes away some of the beauty of this design, and it's such an odd decision that it sadly makes me question the overall design philosophy of the company.

One thing I've been surprised nobody's pointed out so far is how well the old stylised "S" fitted in with the Antea face. I'd always assumed that the font of the Antea numbers and the "S" were directly related -- just look at the curve of the S compared to the tail of the "9" on the dial, for example. It creates an intimate connection between the face font and the logo, and naturally draws the observers' eyes from the dial numbers to the brand name. Together, the logo and the numbers made, in my subjective opinion, the most beautiful watch face I've ever seen. But the connection between the numerical font and the Stowa "S" was an objective fact -- they made sense and went together perfectly. All of this is completely lost with the new logo on the Antea face.

While I realise that Jörg has made his decision, I hope that it might be possible for Stowa to retain one watch model with the old logo as a homage to the history of the company. In my mind, the Antea KS would fit this best; but I do hope that at least one Antea carries the beautiful font connection that I've outlined above.

Owen

ps -- I'm also surprised that someone with the initials JS would want to move away from a stylised "S" that, with the vertical downstroke, was in fact the letters J and S combined!
    Ian_O, Kronprinz and Hansch99 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
    If anyone does know what the "W" icon represents I would like to know. I feel like every letter in Stowa is in there except for the S, but why that would be done, I don't know.
    Someone in a long-ago thread surmised that it was a stylized W representing Walter with a watch dial in the middle. That is the best-sounding explanation I've heard. For what it's worth I happen to like the logo and think having the logo on the dial is good, but I'd rather have it paired with the old font like on the divers.

Ian_O and Francois Boucher like this.

The overwhelming majority on the forum have expressed that they really loved the stylized "S", even apart from the historical significance, and cannot fathom why it would be changed. I'll offer up my personal preference for public vilification.

While I am fairly indifferent to the font of the new name style, I like it because of the combination of the logo, which i really like, with the name in a different font. In other words, I always disliked the stylized "S", which I found to be antiquated, and dreaded wanting a particular watch that came with it.

To those who argue that the stylized "S" is consistent with the Bauhaus style, I wholly concede the argument. While I'm not a fan of the Bauhaus style and would never purchase a watch in that style, I can objectively agree that the stylized "S" matches the Antea line perfectly.

It would be wonderful if Stowa could accommodate everyone's personal preference, but if only one stays, I prefer the old one leave.
    Last edited by frogger17; May 31st, 2013 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    Someone in a long-ago thread surmised that it was a stylized W representing Walter with a watch dial in the middle. That is the best-sounding explanation I've heard. For what it's worth I happen to like the logo and think having the logo on the dial is good, but I'd rather have it paired with the old font like on the divers.

This is how it should look, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by CM HUNTER View Post
    I personally like the fact that the actual Stowa logo is prominently on the dial now and not just the word Stowa. Instead of just being lost on the crown, it's now a big part of the company branding. Isn't the logo a part of Stowas history as well? Now that the emphasis is less on the font and more on the logo, people have a problem with it... I don't get it.

Not trying to make comparisons between the two brands by no means, but since people like to throw around examples like this, here's one to ponder: What would the Rolex logo/branding be without the famous crown.... just the word Rolex in a fairly plain Times New Roman type of font. The crown is the signature part of their logo. Why can't the W Stowa logo have its place for a change?
    I think restoring the logo to the face is ok. Old watches had it. I probably wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't object too much either. Is the loss of the old S and font which is bothersome.

some.idiot likes this.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information