New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 2
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

What about the fliegers with option for "no logo"? I assume this won't change.

To be honest, I don't really get why someone would want to "upgrade" their watch to the new logo. Rather, I could understand if someone could request at a service to have the dial "retrofitted" with the old logo if available.

Though my flieger is without logo, I imagine in 20+ years, this logo change could add value to the old watches as it adds a bit more history to the brand. An enthusiast would be able to say "that is a Stowa from before the logo change in 2013" etc?

I don't get though why new dials, if they need to be different in shape to accomodate different movements, couldn't be printed with the old logo. Maybe an option like with the fliegers, instead of "no logo" or "with logo", how about "with new logo" and "with old logo"?
    Last edited by zpyder; May 28th, 2013 at 22:13. Reason: Added last paragraph regarding new dials being needed.

Re: Never change a winning Logo?

Actually, it is a bit surprising to want to change that script…

Just think of the Breitling "B"… everyone knows what that "B" is, as soon as one sees it, even alone, by itself. Ebel's E, same… The Ω… I don't have to tell anyone what that stands for… The Zodiac logo, the Seiko font, the Montblanc logo and font… Tutima's T isn't Tissot's. I'm quite certain you "see" them in your mind's eye as you read this… Apple's special, compressed Garamond font. All are so immediately significant!

The long, curvy S spells Stowa for anyone who knows anything about watches… loud and clear. For 86 years?

That kind of brand recognition is worth a fortune… Why throw that away?
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; May 29th, 2013 at 00:47.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Could it be that there is/was a risk of the S being confused with the Sinn S? I know they're different side by side, but I guess there could have been the chance at some point Sinn may have said "They're using our italic S design" or vice versa?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the new logo. Just my opinion, as is the rest of this.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and people have different tolerances for and emotional reactions to change. Take the fliegers, for example. While it may be closer to the original than IWC's, Laco's fans might point to the curved lugs and say Stowa has compromised on authenticity, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Stowaristi who agrees.

Who knows what business reason caused Jorg to change the logo, but it's his business and I'd rather Stowa continue to be successful and offer the great values they do. And part of that success could be the modernization of a somewhat outdated logo. Lots of companies do it, and not just to re-brand themselves after failure. There was a time when Mercedes really only marketed to the wealthy and this was part of their "brand." But then they decided to become accessible to more people and they are better off for it.

It's great that Jorg is again reaching out to his most devoted clientele through this forum, knowing that there will be some very vocal dissenters.

That could not happen: Sinn was established in 1961, Stowa in 1927… and I believe the long curvy S was present at least in the thirties, and maybe from the inception…
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; May 28th, 2013 at 22:24.
    Kronprinz likes this.

Brand recognition definition by Investopedia.

Definition of 'Brand Recognition'

The extent to which the general public (or an organization's target market) is able to identify a brand by its attributes.
    Brand recognition is most successful when people can state a brand without being explicitly exposed to the company's name, but rather through visual signifiers like logos, slogans and colors.

Investopedia explains 'Brand Recognition'

To measure brand recognition and the effectiveness of promotional campaigns, many companies will perform experiments on study groups. Both aided and unaided recall tests may be used. With similar products, brand recognition will result in higher sales, even if both brands are of equal quality.

Yes… Stowa had two immediately recognizable logos (…well, a logo and a script "S"), apart from their full name. Now, they have one.
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; May 28th, 2013 at 23:37.

I prefer the old logo as Stowa's history is what drew me to this particular brand. Maybe I should order the Antea KS now and hope I will get the old logo instead.

Can anyone show me exactly what is meant by the old and new logo?

I googled the Antea (stowa site with the new logo and then OLD google pics) and I really see no difference.
    Last edited by MichaelKG; May 28th, 2013 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenlittle View Post
    I prefer the old logo as Stowa's history is what drew me to this particular brand. Maybe I should order the Antea KS now and hope I will get the old logo instead.
    You don't need to hope if the pictures on the site for the watch are still showing the old logo. So far only the white dial 390 was the only antea that was changed.
    Stowa Antea KS silver
    Stowa Flieger without logo
    Seiko SNP007 Kinetic Perpetual (Gone)

I've been on the fence for a year about buying an MO. This pushed me over the edge - I want my MO to have the same logo the original deck watches had 70 years ago. So I just ordered one.

I think the new logo is nice but I am a prisoner of tradition and much prefer the original logo.
    Kronprinz likes this.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information