New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 24
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    I don't think the fonts are the same at all - yes, they are both sans serif, but if you look at the shapes of the letters, they are clearly different (e.g., on one the O is close to circular, the other, laterally compressed, and the proportions of the A and T are also very different). The thickness of the lines also differs.
    That logo-only picture posted before is utterly misleading. Compare the actual logos printed on the watches. There is no "thick line" logo on any watch.

Straight from stowa shop:
    Name:  Screenshot from 2018-01-19 17-01-26.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  43.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot from 2018-01-19 17-01-42.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  48.1 KB

The 'towa' parts are the same font, or near-as-makes-no-difference.
    Damasko DS30.

New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    That logo-only picture posted before is utterly misleading. Compare the actual logos printed on the watches. There is no "thick line" logo on any watch.

Straight from stowa shop:
    Name:  Screenshot from 2018-01-19 17-01-26.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  43.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot from 2018-01-19 17-01-42.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  48.1 KB

The 'towa' parts are the same font, or near-as-makes-no-difference.
    Respectfully disagree, the As, Os and Ts are quite different. As is line thickness. Just because both fonts are simple does not mean they are the same.

We can agree to disagree, neither of us will convince the other. After all, this is a dead issue, old vs. new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whineboy; January 19th, 2018 at 17:15.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

We are talking about this again?
    whineboy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ads75 View Post
    We are talking about this again?
    Good observation.
    whineboy likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    Silly to even argue, the change is well-established and the thread suddenly revived 2.5 years after the last

I don't think the fonts are the same at all - yes, they are both sans serif, but if you look at the shapes of the letters, they are clearly different (e.g., on one the O is close to circular, the other, laterally compressed, and the proportions of the A and T are also very different). The thickness of the lines also differs.

If I see can see these differences as an ordinary person, a graphic designer would see far more. We can't say the fonts are the same.

It's been years since the logo change. Let the old Stowa logo rest in peace.
    Not arguing at all. Just stating my personal observation as I see it. As you say yourself "just because they are both simple doesn't make them the same". I say simple is simple, and that's what most of the negative feedback centers around.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; January 19th, 2018 at 19:18.
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    A. LANGE & SOHNE HENTSCHEL HAMBURG DAMASKO
    UTS MUNCHEN Glashuette ORIGINAL LEHMANN
    NOMOS GLASHUETTE MORITZ GROSSMANN BENZINGER
    temPtion
    D. DORNBLUETH & SOHNE JUNGHANS

WATCHES CURRENTLY OUT OF THE SAFE IN ROTATION
    DRESS:
    Glashuette Original Senator Observer, JLC MUT
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    Damasko DS30, Laco Paderborn, Archimede A Dial Flieger, Hamilton Field Khaki, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical,
    Citizen Avion Solar Chronograph
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

24 watches & holding steady.

Mulling over the new logo's place in Bauhaus

I understand that Hartmut Esslinger was involved in convincing Stowa to change its logo in 2013 and that he has some influence in the design community, but I’m unable to find the reason this was extended to the historical Antea models. I can't get over the incongruity of the new logo in these Bauhaus watches, as the angularity and sharp points of the triangular icon detract from the aesthetic. It is too superfluous for Bauhaus. The logo is perhaps fitting for the modern designs, but such a design that is essentially unchanged from that historically made by Stowa should be honoured with the old logo, I think. It is something I see in the Partitio watch, and I find it regrettable that it is not considered for the Antea.

Could any one offer me good reasons why this new logo belongs on an Antea? I’m willing to have my mind changed with a compelling story, and I would love to support Stowa with another purchase. As it stands, I can’t help but think that this was an absent-minded change to a perfectly designed historical model.

I’m looking to have my emotions swayed. It seems unlikely, but you all seem to have a good understanding of things and may be able to help. Thank you, all.

Banned

Re: Mulling over the new logo's place in Bauhaus

I also much prefer the old logo. It's funny, I would wager that at least 80% of Stowa fans prefer the older logo, and not merely for nostalgic/historical reasons, but aesthetics as well. Since we all know Jörg reads these forums, I wonder if he would ever be persuaded to change back to the old logo, or at least offer it as an option for some watches. I would immediately buy an Antea 41 and a Flieger Classic with the old logo.
    Last edited by SJR3; December 10th, 2018 at 07:49.

Theres so many options already I can't see picking between two logos.

They already have logo, no logo, date, no date, and different dial colors. The possible combinations after additional an "old logo" option would be untenable.

Quote Originally Posted by SJR3 View Post
    I would immediately buy an Antea 41 and a Flieger Classic with the old logo.
    Have to say I'm of the same mind. The only Stowa I own has the old logo (granted, it's over 70 years old), and as I learn more about the modern brand I find that I am only looking at watches with the old logo. If I buy an Antea or Flieger, it will have to be a used one with the old logo. So, adding my vote, in case anyone is counting.

I'm usually not super prone to hyperbole or anything but I don't think I'd buy a watch with the new logo on it.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread Information