New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 25
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    I'm usually not super prone to hyperbole or anything but I don't think I'd buy a watch with the new logo on it.
    This feels like New Coke to me. Some marketing guy comes in and sells a company some simple branding heuristic that does the opposite of what it promises or fixes something that isn't broken. The beauty of the watches and the quality of the work were enough to increase the old logo's respect and symbolism. Altering this process so soon seems so strange. Why a new direction, when the company was clearly heading in a positive direction and was being praised by the public? Why frustrate that?

Any logo can work provided it is backed by a legitimate and principled company, which Stowa is. The company builds the brand, not the other way around, so I can see the new logo gradually being assimilated into the public's tastes. I'm really more concerned about the new logo's intrusion on the bauhaus watches, which have a particular aesthetic and design principle. The Antea is diminished by the anachronistic addition of an icon with no pedigree, place, or function. An option for the old logo would be appreciated on these designs, at least.
    joeabroad, JacobC, SJR3 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXO View Post
    This feels like New Coke to me. Some marketing guy comes in and sells a company some simple branding heuristic that does the opposite of what it promises or fixes something that isn't broken. The beauty of the watches and the quality of the work were enough to increase the old logo's respect and symbolism. Altering this process so soon seems so strange. Why a new direction, when the company was clearly heading in a positive direction and was being praised by the public? Why frustrate that?

Any logo can work provided it is backed by a legitimate and principled company, which Stowa is. The company builds the brand, not the other way around, so I can see the new logo gradually being assimilated into the public's tastes. I'm really more concerned about the new logo's intrusion on the bauhaus watches, which have a particular aesthetic and design principle. The Antea is diminished by the anachronistic addition of an icon with no pedigree, place, or function. An option for the old logo would be appreciated on these designs, at least.
    Well said

For what it is worth, I would also still prefer the old logo on classic models such as the antea watches.

I tried a friend's antea ks yesterday and the new logo lacks elegance. It doesn't help that it is gray either.

For the more modern models it looks perfectly ok.
    SJR3, ALEXO, LCLaddict and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Mulling over the new logo's place in Bauhaus

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXO View Post
    I understand that Hartmut Esslinger was involved in convincing Stowa to change its logo in 2013 and that he has some influence in the design community, but I’m unable to find the reason this was extended to the historical Antea models. I can't get over the incongruity of the new logo in these Bauhaus watches, as the angularity and sharp points of the triangular icon detract from the aesthetic. It is too superfluous for Bauhaus. The logo is perhaps fitting for the modern designs, but such a design that is essentially unchanged from that historically made by Stowa should be honoured with the old logo, I think. It is something I see in the Partitio watch, and I find it regrettable that it is not considered for the Antea.

Could any one offer me good reasons why this new logo belongs on an Antea? I’m willing to have my mind changed with a compelling story, and I would love to support Stowa with another purchase. As it stands, I can’t help but think that this was an absent-minded change to a perfectly designed historical model.

I’m looking to have my emotions swayed. It seems unlikely, but you all seem to have a good understanding of things and may be able to help. Thank you, all.
    Well, as far as compelling stories go, the logo sure does not seem to have appeared out of thin air. If you take a look at the year 1956 on stowa's history page stowa.de/en/history+stowa , you can clearly see the logo's icon behind the artpiece.

On the topic of the typography: I get why the curvy S is so iconic in itself and dear to a lot of fans. I like the "old look" it has, too, but at the same time find the (S) having a weirdly distracting presence.

This imposes a problem however, since you have two icons for your brand that don't mix well (the icon being quite angular and the (S)towa too curvy in comparison and non-uniform in height).
    My perception is that they opted to surely keep the "icon" and provided it with better matching typography that's all exactly aligned with the height of the body of said icon.

I for one especially like how it sits on the crown. At least it's better than some lonely (S) since the whole word doesn't fit (and bare polished crowns tend to look cheap rather quickly). I guess there probably is more to the slight change in font to better match the icon as well.

And as far as bauhaus, simplicity and practicality go, I believe you should have one combination that simply works instead of having to maintain two contradicting icons for your brand.

Bear in mind most of the above is my perception, but my own story is compelling enough for me to buy an Antea 365 :)

Re: Mulling over the new logo's place in Bauhaus

Quote Originally Posted by Tiemen_S View Post
    Well, as far as compelling stories go, the logo sure does not seem to have appeared out of thin air. If you take a look at the year 1956 on stowa's history page stowa.de/en/history+stowa , you can clearly see the logo's icon behind the artpiece.
    I’ve seen that, too. I wonder if anyone has torn themselves away from this riveting thread long enough to look into the history of that funny “W,” pre-Esslinger. It does turn up on a lot of vintage Stowas. Here’s one with a simplified version of the W, although it is such a poor redial that I doubt that it looked much like this originally:

Name:  28DF4632-624F-437A-8FE9-D4EB881F3432.jpeg
Views: 270
Size:  1.26 MB
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; January 3rd, 2019 at 19:06. Reason: Ebay url deleted

Whoa, that's one peculiar piece right there! It deserves a different strap, though (:

Like a majority of those who have chimed in over 25 pages, I struggle to understand the decision to change this logo across the entire STOWA product line, in particular the Antea models. It simply does not conform to the style and character of the watch, and personally is visually jarring enough to prevent me from buying the watch. And believe me, I’ve really tried to fall in love with it - it hs spent time in my cart on the STOWA website, but I just can’t get past it. I actually prefer the dial with the historically-appropriate logo to the Nomos Tangente, specifically having all indices numbered instead of just the 12, 2, 4, 8, 10, and even if it was priced at the same $2k as the Tangente, I’d favor it. As a final, last ditch effort, I emailed customer service asking for a favor but they confirmed no silver dials are available for the Antea, even with my offer to pay a significant premium if they could dust one off. With the newer, more rigid logo seemingly stamped as an afterthought onto a timeless and classic dial, I just can’t get past the dissonance of the dial design. As a result, I’m going to go with the Nomos. I would still love some day to be able to add an Antea Klassik KS to my collection, so hopefully Jörg hears the chorus of collectors who want to be able to own the more classic-styled watches without having this new logo and typeface superimposed on an otherwise balanced, cohesive dial.

I hear you. I searched for a long time to find a pre-owned Antea with the old logo, and probably overpaid when I did, but I'm very glad that I did. I love looking at it, and I don't think I would love looking at the new logo. The best way I can put it is that I find it both aesthetically disturbing, and historically disturbing. And for a company which has made its mark with close adherence to history, it just makes no sense to me.

Name:  IMG_23301.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  34.6 KB
    JacobC likes this.

That's a good-looking piece, joeabroad. Glad your efforts paid off and you were able to come across a decent quality Klassik KS. The whole ensemble just looks right, in contrast to the newer models that unfortunately draw your eye to the STOWA logo and send your brain whizzing trying to figure out what exactly it is about it that's out of place. Truly an instance where the saying holds true: They just don't make 'em like they used to!

I too have scoured the deep, dark corners of the internet trying to find someone looking to part with one. As you said was your experience, I plan to be looking for a while as all it takes is a quick look at this beauty to realize there aren't going to be a lot of folks putting these watches on the auction block. The search continues...

Your comment on the historically disturbing aspect of it is also spot on and something previous posts have rightly emphasized. There is a long list of manufacturers out there that don't even remotely come close to having the historical significance of STOWA, and that I'm sure are envious of the position of those that have a well-documented, truthful, and meaningful place in the history of watchmaking. Some will even try to extend their skillset from manufacturing watches to manufacturing history in an effort to appear more long-tenured and pedigreed. With a long, respectable history, STOWA doesn't have to change a thing. The renaissance of vintage-inspired releases we've seen over the past several years just goes to show that collectors place tremendous value on a historically-accurate re-edition - Breitling Navitimer Ref. 806 released last week is just one prime example of this, going as far as getting the exact number of beads on the bezel to match the original 1959 edition.

It's a move that makes less and less sense the more I contemplate it. I was honestly just glad to find this thread and realize I'm not alone in thinking this is nuts. Until STOWA reconsiders, I'll cross my fingers I can have the same success you did on the pre-owned market.

I definitely prefer the old logo ... It seems like Stowa is trying to go the Nike route and have some sort of abstract design that serves as a stand-in for their name. While I understand the appeal, their old logo has decades of visibility and a simple, Bauhaus aesthetic that is so quintessentially German. Not a fan of the change ... which is why I plan to get my Flieger without a logo on the dial.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread Information