New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 26
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by joeabroad View Post
    I hear you. I searched for a long time to find a pre-owned Antea with the old logo, and probably overpaid when I did, but I'm very glad that I did. I love looking at it, and I don't think I would love looking at the new logo. The best way I can put it is that I find it both aesthetically disturbing, and historically disturbing. And for a company which has made its mark with close adherence to history, it just makes no sense to me.
    Perfectly said. I won't "not"buy a Stowa with the new logo, but I much prefer the old one - and at this point we're well past a decent "you'll get used to it" interval.

Since Stowa offers the most customization in ordering of any watch brand I can think of, I'm surprised it doesn't offer the old logo as an option. I would happily pay $100 or more for the old one (if this has been suggested before in the thread, apologies that I missed it).

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I do not think that this is going to happen. Already in 2013 Jörg wrote this:

Hello everybody,

many thanks for the feelings about the new Logo.
    We knew that it will be a discussion, but the way back is not possible and we don´t want it.

I think the best sample is the Mercedes and VW Logo history.

Like everybody can see, there are sometimes bigger steps necessary, sometimes smaller ones.

But this and many other samples show us that the step forward is always a step forward.

Of course it will need time to accept this.

And i fully respect thoose people who likes the older one better.

Although my best friend likes the older one better, but this doesn´t stop me to launch the new one

We should have a look to the future and to the past.

But never just keep something because it is old and good.

I am always thinking, respect the old but create new ones if you have the feeling that it will be better.

But it is like many other thinks if we talk about design and taste.

There are many different existing and this is good !

There are black and small watches outside, there are white and big watches outside, no matter, if they designed in a good balance i can respect both and i don´t say that one of thoose is rubbish

The same with Logos of companies.

You like it or you don´t.

But this is only a small point of the decision to buy or not.

There are much bigger reasons to buy a watch.

Quality, price relation to quality, uniqueness, design, service and so on

So, we know that it was the right step, we also know that some people don´t agree at the moment.

We respect all of thoose.

Best regards

Jörg Schauer
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have to respectfully disagree with Jörg on this one. While the Mercedes-Benz and VW logos have evolved, each evolution has emphasized the most recognizable and iconic elements of their logos while trending toward greater simplicity. You don’t see the name Mercedes-Benz in the updated font anywhere on its new models, except for on the enamel badge on the hood - ironically enough this is their 1926 logo they’ve chosen. Same for VW - they’ve cleaned up the logo over time to emphasize the design elements present in the stylized VW they use today. If the redesign was analogous to Mercedes and VW, they’d have emphasized the iconic scripted S that STOWA enthusiasts would rightly recognize as a core element of the brand identity. Instead, they were convinced to discard it entirely. I’d actually make the case that their complete overhaul flies in the face of how Mercedes and VW have tastefully allowed their logos to evolve over time.

If we want to stay in the realm of German brands, one cannot ignore the BMW logo, widely regarded as one of the best logos in automobile graphic design. It has remained consistent over a 100+ year history and is credited as a major contributor to their commercial success. Even more closely related to STOWA is the logo of Braun, with the large A in the middle not too dissimilar from the historic scripted S. They’ve stayed true to their heritage and the logo is virtually untouched from its original form.

One other interesting point on all of this is that at least as far as I can tell, all of STOWA’s design awards have been given to watches that feature either no logo or the traditional logo. Time will tell if they are able to continue winning as many awards now that the stodgy new font is emblazoned on their current designs.

Fortunately, we live in a world where free market principles guide our lives, and no one can force us to buy or wear a watch we don’t freely choose to. Companies that ignore their most informed and vocal customers will find themselves lagging their peers as those customers align themselves with brands that listen to the market and marry consumer preferences with their own stylistic creativity in a harmonious way. If STOWA wants to remain relevant and able to attract and retain talented staff that will propel the company and its designs into the future, ignoring their customers is a great way to ensure they don’t accomplish that goal.
    JacobC, SJR3 and spronston like this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Fortunately, we live in a world where free market principles guide our lives, and no one can force us to buy or wear a watch we don’t freely choose to. Companies that ignore their most informed and vocal customers will find themselves lagging their peers as those customers align themselves with brands that listen to the market and marry consumer preferences with their own stylistic creativity in a harmonious way. If STOWA wants to remain relevant and able to attract and retain talented staff that will propel the company and its designs into the future, ignoring their customers is a great way to ensure they don’t accomplish that goal.
    Fortunately, the logo change started 6 years ago and Stowa watches still sell like hotcakes and won some awards here and abroad since then (2019 Goldene Unruhe, Red Dot Design). So Stowa did manage to remain relevant, the demand for Stowa watches is unbroken. Jörg had to reduce the production of Schauer watches to answer the demand on Stowa watches (which I think is a real pity). Not seeing Stowa ignoring their customers. As you said, we live in a free world and no one can force you to buy or wear a watch you don’t want to wear.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

While I do prefer the old logo, and sold my new logo Antea KS with hopes that Stowa will one day release a “heritage” Antea LE with the old logo, I think it would be naive of me to suggest that the “new” logo is a mistake. As Mike points out, Stowa continues to do fine 6 years later.

It's a hypothetic consideration only - but who knows how Stowa's business would have grown with the original logo?!
    Mike Stuffler doesn't mention the increase of models, plant facilities, number of employees and specifically the new co-partners influence - referring to economical and monetary aspects. These are all reasons for growth too.
    I know some friends who delayed or even put the purchase on the back burner..............because of the changed logo only. Two of them preferred buying a used watch with the original logo than ordering a new timepiece in Engelsbrand.

On the other hand I do understand Joerg Schauer. His self-confidence demands not only being the successor of the 'old' Stowa company and to transform vintage models in current designs, but to demonstrate the change in the logo too.

My point of view is: Stowa would have been even more successful if they had kept the original logo.
    I won't stop supporting the brand and people in Engelsbrand, but I don't think I can start loving the new logo anytime.

We live in a free world and no one can force me to share an opinion I don’t want to share,

Volker

I like it!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Thread Information