New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 6
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    d88

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

The analogy with the VW and MB logos, although interesting and true to an extent regarding their evolution,is a little misleading in that when you buy a car the logo badge in relation to the overall size of the car proportion wise, is minuscule. A watch manufacturer doesn't have the luxury of this, in that every little detail on the dial stands out and therefore the design is subject to more intense scrutiny, more so than a logo badge on a car. I'd also say that the logo, as part of the overall dial design is every bit of important as the other components that make up a watch.

Of course there is a valid argument that the new design may be better suited to the new (modern) watches that Jorg manufactures and I understand that, however on the classic style Stowa's such as on the Bauhaus inspired Antea's, the new logo just looks out of place.
    flyingpicasso and Kronprinz like this.

I respect the decision made by Jorg, BUT I Love my three Stowa watches with the OLD logo.
    Last edited by SelmerSuperAction80II; May 29th, 2013 at 12:32.
    Kronprinz likes this.

I don't really mind the old vs. new part of this, although it is a bit ironic that with so many watch companies trying to create a "history", Stowa seems to be de-emphasising its history. However, I do think that the new logo is technically badly designed in the sense that there is no visual distinction between the "logo" part and the text part. On a watch face, it would be much better to have the logo part above and centered on the "Stowa" text. The way it is at the moment, there's a moment of disorientation as you try to work out what's text and what's symbol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Considering the underlying theme of most of stowa's line I don't think anyone is going to be missing out on nods to the past...

I like the new logo/ font. It looks cleaner and more mature. I always felt the curved 's' looked like it was off centered/ out of balance.

It's always better to leave something a bit too early than a bit too late..

Herr Schauer...

Is there a specific time frame for the change in each models logo? For example are all of the Marine style changing first then the Antea and so forth? Or is it just as the new dials come in they will begin to change over to the new logo? I am waiting on a Dagaz and thinking of selling off my preorder to place an order for an Antea KS. So knowing this may make the decision for me of whether to cancel or not. Like others, I too prefer the old style 'S' as opposed to the new logo.

In addition to this - did anyone notice the Prodiver has Limette hands available now?! I haven't browsed the online shop for awhile and they look great!

Well. I see it was a mistake to bring up the auto logo's. Bad choice on my part. Most folks need a car. Most folks (like my wife) see a car as a way to get from point A to point B. Therefore. They are seen by most as a tool to get a job done. Then they trade them for a new one.

Watches on the other hand are something that will generally last longer than the owner and be handed down to others. I suppose I just view it as rather sad that many historic & successful companies choose to "mess" with something that does not need to be "messed" with. Especially when it is done in the name of being trendy or "changing with the times". There isn't a reason that I can think of to not put on the classic Stowa logo on a new watch. I wonder what the Bible and other classic stories would look like if the Esslinger's of the world got hold of them?
    Last edited by bigdog; May 29th, 2013 at 14:51.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Whilst it would not affect my buying decision, I prefer the "old" logo.

If there were to be a change, like Mike said in one of his first posts, I would have liked the "W" above the Stowa with the original script retained, rather than alongside and the new script.
    Thanks Andrzej for chiming in. When we had to decide on the logo of the first bunch of (limited) Seatime watches long time ago the reason to go for the "old" "W" and Stowa with its curvy "S" was: "If Stowa is proud of its history and Stowa is rightfull being proud and if the Seatime in modern shape is a homage to former Seatime watches then it has to be the old logo. It will need some time to get used to a modern two-part-logo on a watch which rightfully was is called a homage. Bringing together contemporary taste/design with "vintage" and "homage" watches is an ambitious endeavour. Good luck Stowa.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

This seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. In a way that speaks well of Stowa -- people are so passionate that they get worked up about tweaks to a logotype.

I've worked in branding for 26 years (corporate identity is my area of expertise). I think the old logo is appealing for many reason but hardly think Stowa has thrown away or lost any brand equity by making this change.

I do not recall any instance when I've been involved in the redesign of a corporate ID that everyone was happy. We used to joke that if 20% love the new ID, 20% hate the new ID, and 60% hardly notice or care, then that's par for the course.

It's interesting to me that the old logos on my PD, which I'm wearing right now, do not match. Look at the "S" and the "A" and the width of the logo. I don't recall anyone crying over this. It's quaint, like the old logo itself.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1397
Size:  236.8 KB
    Peter Atwood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 92degrees View Post
    This seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. In a way that speaks well of Stowa -- people are so passionate that they get worked up about tweaks to a logotype.

I've worked in branding for 26 years (corporate identity is my area of expertise). I think the old logo is appealing for many reason but hardly think Stowa has thrown away or lost any brand equity by making this change.

I do not recall any instance when I've been involved in the redesign of a corporate ID that everyone was happy. We used to joke that if 20% love the new ID, 20% hate the new ID, and 60% hardly notice or care, then that's par for the course.

It's interesting to me that the old logos on my PD, which I'm wearing right now, do not match. Look at the "S" and the "A" and the width of the logo. I don't recall anyone crying over this. It's quaint, like the old logo itself.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1397
Size:  236.8 KB
    So then explain why one would seek to change a logo if 60% don't notice and 20% don't like it. So your basing a logo change on a 20% minority. What's the point then?

When it comes to common items such as household goods, Soap, Food company logo's. I'm in the I don't care column. I look at it from the point of view that if a company like Stowa goes down the road of logo change due to a fad/ change of direction. Then what will they (Stowa) change to or compromise to the cult of fad and wanting to "change with the times".
    Last edited by bigdog; May 29th, 2013 at 16:09.

I totally agree with Steve. You guys are making mountains out of mole hills. I love the old logo but if you are truly paying attention you will see that is has not exactly been consistent through the years. I like the REALLY old one the best:

Name:  IMG_6115.JPG
Views: 1266
Size:  184.3 KB

Just look at the S above, now that is nice!
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information