New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 8
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Hello everybody. This is my first time in a forum EVER.
    But as a designer especialized in corporate (brand) identity and product packaging, (for 20 years now...) I couldn't resist.

Jörg:

Excuse me if I´m rude, english is not my first languaje. I wrote this entry many times trying not to be sarcastic, but this is the dumbest move I've seen since the "new Coke".

Lets see: you had a logo (wordmark) with two "parts", the name with a recognizable S, used since 1938, I guess, but still modern, and a symbol, great for a watch crown, but nothing special (yes, it´s historical, but too clumsy to be easily remembered like the S). So what are you doing? well, you are keeping with the strange symbol and ditching your signature S in favor of a nice but too generic tipography (gerenal public will probably perceive it as an Arial, helvetica or geneva or, if you are german, a Din).

In spite of the opinion of a very well respected industrial designer, people, no matter how clever they are, can be wrong. (this count for this text also, of course).

Will you notice the bad impact of your "new" logo? probably not, because stowa is growing. But I´ll never buy a watch like antea with this two pieces logo, Nomos is allways there, so why bother with your watch?

How many people think like me?, well, as this seem to has been a personal desition, you don't know, but, I´m sure, many.

It was necessary? Absolutely not. But again you are leading a growing company, going to races, designing new and modern watches, even a gmt!!! Of course you need a new logo!!! A brand new image according to this...well I´ve seen this pattern, this frame of thinking too many times over this 20 years, so you are not alone...but wrong...

So please, keep you old logo, if you still can, and focus in your production, the time for a change was many years ago, when you bought the company, not now.

Besides you are confusing industrial designer with other type of designers, like brand designers, graphic designers, marketing and others . Next time, if you build a new home call and electrical engineer instead of an architect...you will be "almost there".

Of course, this is only my opinion, many people will be against it, or not, and I don´t try to argue with anybody, nor to be rude, but my english is rusty. So pardon me, and sorry if I offended somebody.

Now I´ll order a black antea daydate while they still are "old branded".
    Cheers.

Some how, I find the old Stowa font used to be more retro to the eye. The new font just seems too modern for a classic watch like the Antea. I am kind of disappointed with this decision. :(
    Kronprinz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    I didn't claim that you said it was pointless. I asked you what is the point of changing a logo if 60% don't see the change, 20% don't like it. My bigger question is WHY the change. It's my understanding (or more about how I see it as a consumer) that most companies change a logo to coincide with a change in the company. Or to distance themselves from problems of the past. I.E. New ownership that fixes a products real or perceived problem area, Emergence from bankruptcy, Reviving a name from a no longer existing company.

Facebook? Who cares. It a free internet site. Same with Google. Also. Who cares about cheap consumable products. In the arena of cheap consumer products a logo change is more about getting noticed amongst the sea of other logos on the store shelf. I wouldn't think that would apply to Stowa. As chickenlittle points out. Coke tried to foist a new formula on the public. How did that work out?
    I can't answer the "Why." Only Jörg can speak to that point. I see in his official statement language such as "future" and "design of the STOWA watches are clear and unique" and "STOWA's design-language which always should be clear and easy."

These strike me as very common reasons to update an older identity. I'm involved with work done for these reasons every day.

With regard to FB and Google, these examples were chosen because more people see and respond to those identities every minute than people see the Stowa logo in a year.

New Coke is a fascinating case study of a company making a change to a product based on poorly conducted focus groups -- they did not test the new formula in a manner that reflected the way people actually use the product. They offered test subjects a shot glass sized sample of New Coke and people generally enjoyed the flavor. People don't drink a shot of soda; people drink a full can.

I don't have much more to add. The reactions are interesting to me. I may take this opportunity to buy another watch from Jörg just because I'm always looking for an excuse. My best professional opinion is that in a short amount of time this will pass like so many things do and will only be revisited on occasions by new posters asking "what's the story with the logo?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

on the bigest Russian speaking watch forum is a discussion of the new logo. All forum members and Stowa fans disappointed and not those who would like the new logo.

Quote Originally Posted by genabob View Post
    on the bigest Russian speaking watch forum is a discussion of the new logo. All forum members and Stowa fans disappointed and not those who would like the new logo.
    Well, as another poster said, maybe 80% of the buyers do not care, but it seems to me almost all those who do care enough to post on a Stowa forum, here and in Russia, dislike the new logo…

That debate is even drawing in people who never posted in a forum before!

It's fascinating.
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; May 29th, 2013 at 18:28.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    It's time now to order an old logo, go hurry up. That's what I am going to do. Not decided on the model yet.
    but, it may be a marketing ploy, rather than a new logo?)) ;)
    "Unsere Wünsche sind Vorgefühle der Fähigkeiten, die in uns liegen, Vorboten desjenigen, was wir zu leisten imstande sein werden." (C) Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by NikAlex View Post
    but, it may be a marketing ploy, rather than a new logo?)) ;)
    I had this thought as well and, if true, would be genius indeeed! I don't think that's the case, though, and for that I am disappointed, yet very happy to be wearing today my "historical logo" Marine. Unlike some others the new logo would keep me from buying a Stowa in the future. The elegant, yet faintly retro "old" font adds to the look and feel of the dial whereas the new blocky font leaves me cold. Dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    I had this thought as well and, if true, would be genius indeeed! I don't think that's the case, though, and for that I am disappointed, yet very happy to be wearing today my "historical logo" Marine. Unlike some others the new logo would keep me from buying a Stowa in the future. The elegant, yet faintly retro "old" font adds to the look and feel of the dial whereas the new blocky font leaves me cold. Dislike.
    I agree. It will only be used for me. If Herr Schauer want's a new modern line that drifts away from the classic pieces of Stowa. Perhaps it should fall under the banner of his existing self named brand. Or even a new third brand.

Per 92degrees post. "New Coke is a fascinating case study of a company making a change to a product based on poorly conducted focus groups -- they did not test the new formula in a manner that reflected the way people actually use the product. They offered test subjects a shot glass sized sample of New Coke and people generally enjoyed the flavor. People don't drink a shot of soda; people drink a full can."

Which dovetails nicely with the fact that Herr Schauers post seemingly indicates that the new logo was the result of a single (albeit well respected) person specializing in industrial design. Not PR or marketing.
    Last edited by bigdog; May 29th, 2013 at 20:07.

Wow! And I thought the no seconds flieger was a bad idea. How about a quartz line? That will really get the forum fired up.

I can understand the new logo and the reasons but I firmly think that to update the old watches makes no sense - in my view the new logo is suited to the new style watches (and possibly the flieger ) because of the more industrial look.

I think in time people will get used to the new logo.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information