New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-) - Page 9
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: New STOWA Logo. Official announcement. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by J_Hack View Post
    In addition to this - did anyone notice the Prodiver has Limette hands available now?! I haven't browsed the online shop for awhile and they look great!
    Thanks for the hint - indeed it looks nice. I ever loved the limette colour. The Logo of the Divers is to me better than the new and the old logo

Dear Joerg,

I don't like the new Logo because I don't like the font. The old font has letters that have a constant width. That's the part of the looks I like so much. And of course the curved "S". The new logo font doesn't have that. Maybe it can work very good on the new, more modern watches, but for the more "heritage" watches I think it's a no-go.

In fact the first time I remember seeing the Stowa brand was from the silver KM pocket watch that Helmut Sinn sold in a limited series during the beginning of the nineties.

I immediately fell in love with that dial. All fonts were just perfect. Imagine how happy I was with the Marine watch with the silver dial.

Now with the new logo that charm would be gone for me. I really can't imagine a Marine watch with the new logo. It's completely losing it's heritage feeling. You know for me a dial has to be perfect

So for me the only option in the future would be a Stowa watch that has no logo.

Anyway, It's your decision and I still very much respect that. I do believe that the newer watches won't suffer from the new logo. But if I had a logo option on a Stowa watch, I would always go for the original.
    Sli likes this.

To cast my vote, I would have opted for a more evolutionary change in the logo that does not so wholly ignore the past. Then spent time STANDARDIZING the logo(s) usages across all applications.

Also as to New Coke, there is a theory that New Coke was simply a way to get the Classic Coke formula switched from cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup during the time it was off the shelves. Coke got a brief new bump from New Coke, then when interest tanked, reintroduced "Classic Coke" as the old formula with the high fructose corn syrup change...with the gap, no one could tell the difference...
    "It's all in the reflexes..."
    -Jack Burton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kai1839 View Post
    Wow! And I thought the no seconds flieger was a bad idea. How about a quartz line? That will really get the forum fired up.
    It's an interesting subject. I.E. How far can one change a company that has a well respected history. And not lose sight of that history. Or disenfranchise the current customers. For me the answer is simple. It does not require a new logo for a brand to make new products. Not sure how or why companies came to think they have to have new logo that reflects the current products. Quite the opposite. The original logo is a sign of quality since 1927. I see the rapid fire changing of logos these days by a multitude of companies as a direct result of slick PR/Marketing firms convincing companies that the key to the future is to change your identity. I'm sure that it has nothing to do with putting a large bag full of Euro's into said PR firms bank accounts. I truly think that even if Stowa heads in a new direction with new watches. That in itself does not nor should it relegate the original logo to the scrap heap. I'm also from the generation born in the 1950's. I have witnessed the ever growing & changing demographic that not only doesn't care about the history of anything. They seem to actively seek to remove all traces of history in the effort to "be hip, modern & trendy". So when I see the original Stowa logo being modified due to an opinion by a trendy designer. It just makes me cringe. Will it hurt Stowa by changing the logo? No not really. I don't see myself buying one though. But I'm sure I'm in the minority.
    Ian_O likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
    You also must look to FIAT- they changed back to their classical logo after many years until now...
    That reminds me of the "FS" logo from the Italian national railroad company. They have been changing that so many times.
    And the Belgian railroad logo - which is practically the same as the Bentley logo - has only changed once 10 years after the first (Somewhere around 1850??). Since then it has never changed.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_be View Post
    That reminds me of the "FS" logo from the Italian national railroad company. They have been changing that so many times.
    And the Belgian railroad logo - which is practically the same as the Bentley logo - has only changed once 10 years after the first (Somewhere around 1850??). Since then it has never changed.
    Hey! I had never seen that Belgian Railways logo. You're right!

François – Quebec City, QC

I know I'm in the very small minority (on this forum anyway) but I like the new logo. And I especially think it suits the antea models...I know almost everyone here will disagree with me but here are my thoughts:

The Antea design is clean, industrial and has a lot of sharp edges. The new logo seems to be the same. The stylized S though nice is more organic and fluid and dare I say not very consistent with the Bauhaus design elements of the rest of the dial.

I know there is a lot of talk of heritage and tradition & granted this is a valid point. However, I don't think Jorg has shown any major disrespect to the brand or its haritage...you and I may give a big deal about a stilized S but to the rest of the general population all it is is a slight updating of the font and incorporating the crown logo in the dial as well...hardly a major departure from their traditional logo. In fact it may even be argued that the stylized S only represents a font and that the W is a true logo and hence why the change is not really of a logo but of the font...either way I strongly believe a company should only have one logo and obviously a chosen script for the brand name...that being said this seems more like an updating of the font...

anyway that's just my two pennies and everyone is entitled to their two pennies aren't they? :-P

edit: and after all that I'll probably still order something with the old logo because:

1. I can't wait for an update that may take 4-6 months dragging the whole waiting process to 7-9 months :-D
    2. Design aside the models with the old Logo would seem to be more interesting to have in ones collection and possibly more sought after in the future :-D
    Last edited by The Naf; May 30th, 2013 at 03:30.
    One watch kinda guy
    "My watch does a lot more than just tell the time...
    it tells a life story..."

What bad timing (no pun)! I just decided to buy a Stowa after many many research and ambivalence between Stowa and 2 other brands. I started saving and I expect to be able to afford one in September 2013, but this news is really discouraging :( If the old logo isn't available anymore when I'm ready to order, I'll have to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilthyPhil View Post
    What bad timing (no pun)! I just decided to buy a Stowa after many many research and ambivalence between Stowa and 2 other brands. I started saving and I expect to be able to afford one in September 2013, but this news is really discouraging :( If the old logo isn't available anymore when I'm ready to order, I'll have to pass.
    I'm the same way. I am saving for a 1938, but if I do not have the funds in time to get one with the old logo, I will spend it on something else. I know it is a small thing, but at that price, it is the details that really matter to me. It is one of those funny things where if the new logo had always been around, I wouldn't care. However, that is not the case, so I will always know that I liked the old version better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    So when I see the original Stowa logo being modified due to an opinion by a trendy designer. It just makes me cringe. Will it hurt Stowa by changing the logo? No not really. I don't see myself buying one though. But I'm sure I'm in the minority.
    I alos cannot see myself buying a Stowa watch with a new logo. When I look at a dial of a new Antea 390, the logo and script on the dial do not look right to me. Essentially, if the dial of a new Antea 390 date/date will have the same logo and script, I will opt for buying Nomos Tangomat. Meanwhile I've decided to place an order for Marine Original matt white arabic numeralas to have the watch with the script I like.
    Ian_O likes this.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information