New TO1 is here
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New TO1 is here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New TO1 is here

Got my new Stowa TO1 earlier this week. I've been hesitant to post photos because there was (and still is) a possibility that I may send it back to be fixed due to some very minor issues with the bezel and hands that I posted in another thread here. This will depend largely upon an answer to a question I asked the Stowa team this morning...I'll post the results in the other thread.

Anyway, I've got a few pictures below that I took to highlight the watch. The first thing that is noticeable is the size of the watch...this is a big watch! I have a 7.5" wrist so it doesn't look too big on me but it's the shape and height of the bezel that makes it look so big. If you look at the comparison shots with my Flieger Klassik Sport (43mm) the diameter is obviously bigger on the TO1 (45mm). However, they are about the same height on my wrist but the TO1 wears so much bigger. This is clearly due to the bezel which is beveled on the the FKS but juts out a bit on the TO1. Honestly, for a while my heart sank because I just thought it looked too big but I'm getting used to it now and like it.

The other thing that I was not prepared for was the finish on the case. I'm used to having polished or brushed stainless steel watches and this my first experience with a sand-blasted titanium case. This is something that I'm still getting used to because it just looks so much less refined than a brushed or polish finish. I'm not referring to the quality or uniformity of the finish (which is excellent), but that very matte look when compared to a brushed or polished finish. Honestly, it almost makes the watch look like molded plastic at a quick glance. Again, this is not meant as a critique on Stowa's finishing but rather the general appearance of a sand-blasted titanium case. It doesn't stand out in the way other case finishes do but clearly the intent of the TO1 was not to stand out in that way. It's just something to be aware of if you plan on ordering this watch (or Seatime/Prodivers because I believe they have the same finish).

That being said, there's much to like about the watch. It is very light for such a big watch due to the titanium case. The quality and uniformity of the finish is, as I mentioned, smooth and flawlessly done. This is also by far the most legible watch one could want. The dial is stark in its simplicity and dark matte finish. Even the Stowa logo and TESTAF logo are only barely visible under certain lighting angles. The anti-reflection coating is unbelievable. I thought my FKS had a strong AR but this is even slightly better. You can essentially have the sun at its brightness reflecting directly into your eyes off the crystal and not have to squint (I don't recommend doing this for than a split second though unless you want to blind yourself) or have any trouble telling the time. The Superluminova coating is thick and bright in the dark. The bezel rotates easily and smoothly. It doesn't sound like other rotating bezels I've had on watches (it sounds less metallic) but that's just an observation, not a critique. The movement looks great through the display back too.

Overall I like this watch a lot. I'm not in love with it the way I have been with other watches (including the FKS) but I feel it growing on me all the time. IMHO, this is the epitome of a "tool" watch. Everything about it (other than its size) is subdued and downplayed. It is made for legibility and functionality and succeeds at those things very, very well. It lacks the pizzazz, for lack of a better word, than most every other watch I've seen or owned but clearly this was the design intent and it suits this watch. I just wasn't immediately sure it was for me but like I said it's growing on me and I like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New TO1 is here

To1 is always a special watch to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    robi1138 likes this.

Very nice.

Thanks for the comparison pix as it does have some size to it, which you can't tell from the stock pictures.
    robi1138 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Very nice.

Thanks for the comparison pix as it does have some size to it, which you can't tell from the stock pictures.

Thank you...and you're welcome. Definitely a big watch that wears big but not ridiculously so...unless you've got very skinny wrists.
    Last edited by robi1138; September 16th, 2016 at 03:26. Reason: left out a word

Looks great. If I had bigger wrists is definitely be in the market for one.

Enjoy.
    robi1138 likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Awesome looking watch, thanks for sharing your thoughts. If there was a ~42mm model with date (preferable at the 6 o'clock), I'd be all over it. Arabic numeral version might be cool too.
    robi1138 likes this.

interesting watch.. looks of good quality
    robi1138 likes this.
    Rolex | Oris | Shinola | IWC

A very nice and big watch. Congratulations.
    robi1138 likes this.

Thanks for your thoughts! I love the looks and function of the watch, though I think it's too big for me personally. I have only owned one other bead-blasted watch (a Sinn 656), and while I didn't have the concerns you have raised, I can certainly understand them. Speaking as the owner of a blasted titanium bike (a Moots VaMoots), one pitfall of blasting is that, unlike brushed or polished finishes, there really isn't a way to fix dings or scratches short of re-blasting them. This would not deter me from buying a T01 (if it fit me), but it's something to keep in mind.
    robi1138 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaTaToothy View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts! I love the looks and function of the watch, though I think it's too big for me personally. I have only owned one other bead-blasted watch (a Sinn 656), and while I didn't have the concerns you have raised, I can certainly understand them. Speaking as the owner of a blasted titanium bike (a Moots VaMoots), one pitfall of blasting is that, unlike brushed or polished finishes, there really isn't a way to fix dings or scratches short of re-blasting them. This would not deter me from buying a T01 (if it fit me), but it's something to keep in mind.
    Good point...I wasn't aware of that. I was under the assumption, however, that bead-blasted cases are inherently less prone to scratches...not sure if this is true or not. I'm pretty careful with most of my watches but accidents happen and with a watch this size, it's probably more likely too.

That being said, I'm getting more accustomed to the finish on the case. I've seen several Sinns lately in photos with that finish...I guess they're more prevalent than I realized.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information