not a complaint, just an observation

Thread: not a complaint, just an observation

redstart

not a complaint, just an observation

The Stowa website shop usefully explains the option of blued screws, including the following:
    "By the way, we use natural steel - you see the result will have no silver screwslit. If you see silver screwslit your blued screw is a screw which was before nicleplated. After this plating the screw was polished - but it is not possible to polish "inside" the screwslit. This is the reason that some blued screws have a silver screwslit. If you have ordered your watch with an chronometermovement you don´t have to order blue screws extra. The chronometermovements include blued screws."
    I have examined the chronometer movement on my beloved Antea and find that the blued screws indeed have silver screwslits. This does not bother me at all! I suppose the screws were part of the movement as supplied by ETA and not the Stowa-finished screws. But I thought I should log it here, where everyone is a Stowa admirer and will accept it in the spirit in which it was contributed.

redstart
    [awaiting my Stowa Yellow Chronometer, sitting in the Karlsruhe FedEx depot]

Re: not a complaint, just an observation

I think sometimes things get garbled in translation. I'm not sure what the explanation is, but I would be curious, too. Partly just to understand how screws are blued, and whether blued screws are superior in terms of harness or simply more ornamental.

In a similar vein, I received the Stowa newsletter over the weekend, and, not speaking German, ran it through a free web based translation program, with pretty interesting results. One weird translation was a statement that a 'decision principle' had been reached to limit Schauer production to 500 pieces in future years.

I'm not sure whether that means a 'principled decision', in the sense of a decision motivated by a matter of business ethics (though it's hard to image a decision to limit production having such a component) or, more likely, a 'decision in principle', in the sense of a preliminary or strategic choice of direction, which in implementation might be subject to revision or revisiting.

Incidentally, redstart, my Stowa Seatime Limited Blue with a chronometer movement has, according to the FEDEX tracking number, already left Karlsruhe. That tracking business is really fun!

redstart

Want to race Stowas for pink slips? Naw, not fair. Mine only has to make it to Cleveland, while yours is headed an extra 2,000 miles to New Mexico. Plus the time zone difference. What say I give you 2 hours' head start?

Gentlemen, start your Seatimes!

Quote Originally Posted by dwightcramer
    Incidentally, redstart, my Stowa Seatime Limited Blue with a chronometer movement has, according to the FEDEX tracking number, already left Karlsruhe. That tracking business is really fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If there is one thing about Stowa I would change it would be a better translation on their website but I'm a lazy American that never learned German (a little crude spanish) so I won't complain.
    I received my Antea 3 days after ordering, Germany to Cincinnati btw....Very impressive.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Redstart,

I was always intrigued by that same question. I read a post, in the old forum, from Mr. Jörg related with that subject... but the doubt about the nature of the blue screws persists. Are they coated or heated????. If they are heated why the screwslit???

The message I refer was posted on Abril/2005:

Bleddrewsoe:

Does anybody know what method Stowa uses to Blue the screws? I have heard of it being done with both chemicals and heat and was curious as to which one is used by Stowa...

jörg schauer:

Hello,

i have ordered blanc and not coated screws directly from ETA- this is the basic to heat them and make them nice blue.
    (and to blue them completely)
    And we heat the screw set for each movement seperate.

A lot of work -but i think it is worth !

best regards

jörg schauer

Kind Regards,

Baptista

Thread Information