Please help me with this inherited Stowa

Thread: Please help me with this inherited Stowa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me with this inherited Stowa

Hi, i hope you all can help

I inherited this watch last month and have been trying to find out how old it is, how much its worth etc.....???
    Please see the 2 pictures below
    Have you seen this model before....
    On the Face of the watch below the Stowa Name is the word "antimagnetisch", and above the seconds dial is "17 rubis".

Any information would be greatly appreciated as i would like to find out as much as possible about it..
    the watch is in full working order

Thankyou for you time and help.
    Darren Harber

stuffler,mike

Re: Please help me with this inherited Stowa

Hi Darren,

First of all: welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum and welcome to Watschuseek as well.

Your inherited watch dates back to the 40ties (typical for this era: the fast bars). Movement is a very common swiss made 17 jewels (jewels = rubis)handwinding movement customized for Stowa with the "Stowa" engraving. Currently there´s no similar watch in the Stowa online museum.

How much is it worth ?

WUS usually does not do evaluations and I´d like to quote from our Vintage & Pocket Watches Forum:

Rule #1: 3 things influence the value of a vintage watch: condition, condition and condition. It’s very difficult to assess condition from a photo, hence any online value estimate is a crapshoot.

Rule #2: If you have a solid gold case, add $500 US to the price assessment. If it's encrusted in diamonds and is platinum, it doesn't much matter about the watch part anyway – the scrap value will be higher unless it’s say a Rolex, Patek or Vacheron.

Rule #3: The watch is worth what a buyer will pay for it. There are price lists published, but they assume the watch has been serviced and is in running condition. Any buyer will have to deduct at least $100 US from the price list value if the watch has not been recently serviced. A watch seller will not give you more than 50% of the posted price in any case. Often eBay is the best way to get an idea of what your watch is worth.

Rule #4: Your antique watch is worth far less than you think. They are not rare, even if they are old. For instance Elgin made over 50 MILLION movements. They were built to last and be repaired so a lot of them are still around in various conditions of course. The average price for an 80 year old pocket watch is around $150 US. Of course how do you put a price on something your grandfather gave you when you were 7?

Rule #5. When it comes to wristwatches, men’s are worth more than ladies’ models. Women are not as interested in old mechanical things, and the ladies’ watches are often really tiny - that’s out of fashion today. Besides, the men’s watches of the 30s and 40s are quite small and can serve as unisex pieces. So ladies, go ahead and wear Dad’s old Bulova if you want.

Rule #6: Watches stink as an investment. I bought an 1883 keywind Hampden in 1978 for about $100 US. It's value today? Maybe $175 US. I'm not going to retire on those types of returns. It's a great watch though.

Rule #7: When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

Back to your watch: The crystal is damaged. The dial needs to be freshed up carefully, the movement needs to be cleaned and oiled. All these factors detract from worth. To get an idea of its current value check ebay auctions but be warned: Don´t expect to much.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Hi Darren,

Back to your watch: The crystal is damaged. The dial needs to be freshed up carefully, the movement needs to be cleaned and oiled. All these factors detract from worth. To get an idea of its current value check ebay auctions but be warned: Don´t expect to much.
    Thanks for your reply, it was kind of you to take the time.
    If you had the watch would you spend the money getting it serviced and cleaned??
    From your rules and price guide, im guessing the watch is worth about 100 dollars??? is that about right....?
    Im in denmark and the service would easily cost that...
    So in your opinion would it be better sell and buy a watch that i could use and be happy for, or service the watch get a nice black leather strap and use the one i have.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Harbrook View Post
    If you had the watch would you spend the money getting it serviced and cleaned??
    From your rules and price guide, im guessing the watch is worth about 100 dollars??? is that about right....?
    So in your opinion would it be better sell and buy a watch that i could use and be happy for, or service the watch get a nice black leather strap and use the one i have.
    Inherited watches (from your father, grandfather or any other relatives) always bring many feelings. For this reason, many people decided to spend modey for a restoration, because feelings make this watches unique. No matter if it is a masterpiece or mass production watches.

In Czech Republic, there is one Czech watch manufactory called PRIM. During era of comunism, they produced many watches in low-end segment. For many people those watches were first watches they have had in their lives. Those people (watch enthusiasts) now have Stenhart, Stowa, Omega, Breitling, but they still remember their first watches and have no problem to spend hundreds of USD for a restoration of those watches.

With vintage Stowa, this can be the same example
    Last edited by safi_cz; September 10th, 2008 at 23:05. Reason: enthusiast
    Stowa Antea KS (my wife), Nomos Orion Rosé Gold glasboden, Timefactors Speedbird III

stuffler,mike

Well, I'd see a slight difference between an inherited watch and a vintage watch you may buy on ebay. Inherited watches do have a sentimental aspect. If this would be the case I'd take the watch to a watchmaker to get it "freshed up".

thanks for your replies...... so i can make a final decision.. Please can you give me a very rough estimate of what it might make on ebay.....
    im really confused...
    thanks

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Let me take a guess......

Watch cleaning and refurbishment - $100
    New strap - $30
    Ebay fees - $10
    Inherited Family watch - PRICELESS

Cheers,
    Bhanu

stuffler,mike

thanks for your replies...... so i can make a final decision.. Please can you give me a very rough estimate of what it might make on ebay.....
    im really confused...
    thanks
    In the current condition I wouldn´t even bid.

Well thanks for all your opinions....
    I opted for the full restoration of the watch...
    Its at the watch makers now, and will be cleaned, polished and olied.. new glass, and new strap.. It's gonna look good!

Congrats for that decision!!

Volker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information