Polish or matt case? which keeps the status/look better?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brainless

Thread: Polish or matt case? which keeps the status/look better?

Polish or matt case? which keeps the status/look better?

Hi,

I am considering getting a Stowa MA as a dress watch. I have a doubt regarding the case. Should I get it polish or matt case? My goal is to keep this watch as long as possible (this is how I lie to myself when I get a new watch)

Thanks
    Last edited by flori78; September 15th, 2011 at 16:21.
    Current: Longines Hydroconquest L3.642.4; G-shock G7900-4 (black modded),

Re: Polish or matt case? which keeps the status/look better?

Dear Flori,

First rule,get what appeals to you! Now, I think that if you are looking for a dress watch,then the polished case is the way to go. The matt finish is imho more to the casual side and not really for evening attire. I have an M.O. in a polished case and also a flieger in a matt case,while I love both watches I also know that one is strictly casual and the other (M.O.) can be dressed up or down depending on the strap! I have my Marine Original Roman numerals Polished case on a dark brown American alligator strap and the Flieger B-dial is on the traditional pilot strap,I guess if I put it on a different strap I might get away with wearing it with a suit.

As I said, you have to decide what works best for you and I know there will be other opinons that differ from mine,thats OK!

At least you are looking at the right brand!

Ren

i ordered my MO with a matte finish because that's what I prefer. It's highly unlikely anyone is ever going to question that your watch does not have the proper finish for the occasion. Buy what appeals to you and what you would be comfortable wearing. The polished is probably easier to maintain if you do get a scratch on it which is inevitable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my main concern are scratches...I like polish, but how about scratches? do they appear easily in Stowa Marine automatic in polish case?

Don't worry about scratching polised case more easy than brushed.

With a brushed case there are scratch pens to redo some of the brushed finish.
    With a polished case, you can more easily polish the scratch out.

Best is not to scratch at all of course, but when you wear it every day... eventually the moment will come.

Cheers,

CT

I'm a big fan of the matte finish. For me, more subtle and elegant.

+1 have always been a brushed case man myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer1959 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the matte finish. For me, more subtle and elegant.
    Watches: Stowa MO, Matte/onion crown, No. 2065; Helson Skindiver, Orange No date, No. 018; Orient Mako Blue Ray. Wish list: Breitling Superocean Heritage 42; PAM 177; Aqua Terra 2500 caliber; Speedy Broad Arrow; AirKing black dial, gold indices; 1960s Seamaster and many more.

"They brought me up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, which at that time was in Brooklyn," Casey Stengel.

My personal experience, for what it's worth, is that superficial scratches are easier to get off a polished case than off a brushed case. Removing a superficial scratch from a brushed case is not hard, but exactly matching the original brushing is. You may have removed the scratch, but now have the problem that the area where you removed the scratch, stands out from the rest of the case. Deep scratches occur less often, but are problematic on all surfaces. What finishing I like best, polished or brushed, has nothing to do with what I described.

Quote Originally Posted by flori78 View Post
    my main concern are scratches...I like polish, but how about scratches? do they appear easily in Stowa Marine automatic in polish case?

Hi flori,

don't care about scratches: They make the watch yours.
    Without a scratch it's only a watch like many other new watches too.
    But being scratched it's an unique timepiece.

We should wear the watches and expect them to get dents or scars or only small scratches - the same like we do,

Volker
    flori78 likes this.

Thread Information