Polished FO?

Thread: Polished FO?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polished FO?

No, I'm not talking about the whole case, a la MO, but the top surface of the bezel only. I'm thinking of doing this to my FO once it arrives in 6+ months in order to allow it to be dressed up a bit for certain occasions.

I know it is a tool watch and this would be bucking the tradition aspect of the watch, but IWC fliegers pull it off real well (including the BP). Has anyone done this or thought about it?

Seth

Re: Polished FO?

Hi Seth
    Your watch and your money sir.
    General opinion will be negative but why not?
    I love a polished finish personally but they scratch when breathed on and I hate scratches.
    Not like you can't restore the original finish if it doesn't work out.
    Best of luck.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Picture Re: Polished FO?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan1749 View Post
    No, I'm not talking about the whole case, a la MO, but the top surface of the bezel only. I'm thinking of doing this to my FO once it arrives in 6+ months in order to allow it to be dressed up a bit for certain occasions.

I know it is a tool watch and this would be bucking the tradition aspect of the watch, but IWC fliegers pull it off real well (including the BP). Has anyone done this or thought about it?

Seth
    Hi Seth,
    It's easy to do and undo, but from more than two feet away no one but you will notice any difference. To sum it up, heck no...

Wearing this FOLE around, it often gets immediately noticed - a great many people are curious about it and notice how beautiful it is, as it is.

I have done this on other watches, but the casework was already second-rate - I would never think of altering this timepiece.

Not sure undoing the fabulous casework Jörg Schauer put into it is all that much worth the effort.

Glen

Last edited by inlanding; January 4th, 2009 at 04:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm always amazed when ppl. say their watches get commented on by others.
    I've worn all types of watches in all kinds of places and no one says a thing.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

The correct finish from a historical perspective is brushed.

However, this may very well look sharp. Please post pics either way.

I, too, was always amazed, but in the last three months the Prodiver, FOLE, Airman, and the MOLE, Omega Electric Blue, and the Mühle Glashüttes have received unsolicited comments..."What watch is that??, What's on your wrist today??, That is the first thing I noticed when you walked in. Why do you have so many watches??, What is your problem??".

Somehow this horological madness has attached itself to my friends via some vicarious way - they are all noticing the watches on other people's wrists and describing to me what they saw or what the person told them. Quite curious and interesting, really...

Glen

Off Topic post Re: Polished FO?

Dirk Dornblueth uses a similar case and has the top of the bezel and the tops of the lugs polished for his 4.0.........(his picture & his watch)......

It looks nice but does get scratched up easily. If you're wearing the watch regularly I'd guess you'd want the brushed finish in a few months. Just a thought. I strongly support individual requests to make a person's watch unique. That's one of the best aspects of Stowa.

Good luck with the decision.........
    Ed

stuffler,mike

I wouldn't do it but hey: To each his own.

really nice one wow

It's very strange, I had this very thought - about mixing brushed and polished finishes - last night. It must have been something in the air.

Mine was concerning the MO (which is next on my list) and was triggered by my chronic indecision about which finish to go with.

My instinct has always been to go for brushed - I have a Flieger Auto and the finish is fantastic - however in photos I am always seduced by the polished finish of the MO. I think this is to do with the contrast of the high shine case next to the matt dial.

Now the polished finish, despite its historical significance, will not suit my lifestyle and I will worry constantly about scratching it. I also fancy wearing it on a Toshi strap which gives it a more rugged look and probably suits the brushed finish - imho.

Therefore, I thought that a combination of both finishes, with the bezel polished and the remainder brushed might solve all my needs - almost opposite of the Dornbluth.

So what do you think? Polished, Brushed, or a combination?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information