Polishing Stowa Marine with Dremel tool - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Polishing Stowa Marine with Dremel tool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Polishing Stowa Marine with Dremel tool

Polywatch reliably removes scratches from acrylic watch-crystals. It is not for polishing cases. And yes, I said no = don‘t do it.
    JacobC likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I would never consider any power tool to buff out scratches. As others have noted, it could easily distort the case's lies and definitions. Have you considered a Cape Cod polishing cloth? It is not aggressive and it can gradually fade out the airline scratches on a polished case without the risk of messing up the case.

A Dremel tool spins at high RPM - it will get away from you quickly if you are not careful. Even if you have the tool chucked in a vise the chances of you damaging the case are very high. Just a bit too much pressure against it and the tool can bite into the metal. Your case will skate across it, likely marred and very possibly ruined, at least cosmetically.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would take it to a local watchmaker. I dinged my Omega Aqua Terra and they did it for me for free, but I have a relationship there.

Worse case is waste of a trip but might not be too bad.

I used polish on a Seiko to change the bezel from brushes to polish. It isn’t too bad. I taped everywhere I didn’t want and just used my dremel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to put a Dremel in a vice with cotton buffing wheels from eBay and green buffing compound. I got pretty good with it but I would practice on a crappy watch first. You have to use low speed and get used to how much compound to use too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlance View Post
    I used to put a Dremel in a vice with cotton buffing wheels from eBay and green buffing compound. I got pretty good with it but I would practice on a crappy watch first. You have to use low speed and get used to how much compound to use too.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    If I have some time free, I will try with cheap watch first.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gohmdoree View Post
    I would take it to a local watchmaker. I dinged my Omega Aqua Terra and they did it for me for free, but I have a relationship there.

Worse case is waste of a trip but might not be too bad.

I used polish on a Seiko to change the bezel from brushes to polish. It isn’t too bad. I taped everywhere I didn’t want and just used my dremel.

Yes, you are right.
    However, I could find a watchmaker near me with good reputation yet.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Polywatch reliably removes scratches from acrylic watch-crystals. It is not for polishing cases. And yes, I said no = don‘t do it.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    I would never consider any power tool to buff out scratches. As others have noted, it could easily distort the case's lies and definitions. Have you considered a Cape Cod polishing cloth? It is not aggressive and it can gradually fade out the airline scratches on a polished case without the risk of messing up the case.
    more than 90% of responses are negative to try.
    Ok, I got it
    Thank you

Mothers 05100 Mag & Aluminum Polish, 5 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068GEJM..._jfsUDbVFPPFQW

Haobase 75pcs Felt Polishing Pad & Wheel,Point & Mandrel Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M060TJN..._NfsUDbWS2SKWC

I used these with my dremel. I believe easiest will be to just see what a local watchmaker will do.

I didn’t go too crazy but polished this Seiko after seeing people having done it. The polish will fly so make sure to have glasses.

I think if you are willing, then try to practice on a cheaper watch and see what happens then go for a mild polish. I had a bad ding on my Omega Aqua Terra and it bothered me so much. I tried to ignore it. I asked my sales guy at Tourneau and he had his watchmaker do it for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information