Possibility of a 10ATM Antea?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Possibility of a 10ATM Antea?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possibility of a 10ATM Antea?

Just wondering, is there even a slight chance of there being an Antea model (auto or handwound, not even discriminating on that) with a slightly higher-than-standard water resistance? That's genuinely been a factor for me against picking one up (including very recently, when looking around for 'daily wearer' options) - the 5ATM rating on current Anteas seems a touch too unreliable for everyday wear - and yet, considering my lifestyle etc.. - an Antea (esp. b2b) would be visually perfect. But, argh, that (lack of) water resistance!
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"

Re: Possibility of a 10ATM Antea?

Unlikely,

but im a bit unsure about why 5ATM being unreliable for daily wear, im sure 5 ATM is good enough for daily use.

As for splashes or drizzle, should be all good. Im sure its never a good idea to wear watches for shower.

Well, im not sure your "lifestyle". May you do need higher water resistance. But unlikely Stowa will have an update of that.
    Last edited by hidden830726; February 16th, 2016 at 04:46.

Well, it's the usual thing with not being really sure, what the WR rating truly means. For some watches, 5ATM means that they will even survive a surface swim, and for some watches (or brands...), 5atm means "not even good for heavy rain". Because the Antea is rather dressy, I half-suspect that, for example, accidentally falling into a pool / river / puddle / snowpile (this one's more likely) might be the end of the watch.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While it is not a Stowa, the Nomos Tangente "Sport" models have a similar look to the Antea, with 10 ATM water resistance.

I think falling into a snowpile with a 5 ATM watch is probably fine. I certainly wouldn't worry about wearing a Speedmaster (5 ATM) in that context. I would probably wait for it to dry before operating the pushers or the crown, but that would just be out of caution.
    X2-Elijah likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I do not think that something like this is in the pipeline.

What we today call vintage watches survived 30 to 40 years (and even more) with 3atm and the well kept still work flawlessly. I do not see any reason a Antea will not withstand daily wear,for decades as well.
    X2-Elijah and omeglycine like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Aye, fair enough... Though what we have nowadays as vintage watches, those are only the lucky survivors. We rarely, if ever, see the ones that got wrecked sometime in that 30-40 year period. Of course, 3atm *might* be enough. But, well, it's not good for peace-of-mind.

Anyways. I was just hoping that maybe Stowa has something planned as a counterpart / competition to Nomos Ahoi.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Aye, fair enough... Though what we have nowadays as vintage watches, those are only the lucky survivors. We rarely, if ever, see the ones that got wrecked sometime in that 30-40 year period. Of course, 3atm *might* be enough. But, well, it's not good for peace-of-mind.

Anyways. I was just hoping that maybe Stowa has something planned as a counterpart / competition to Nomos Ahoi.
    The Tangente is 3 atm as well. Are you saying you would pay roughly 3000 euro for an Antea with a higher wr the Ahoi features ?
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; February 16th, 2016 at 18:50.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    The Tangente is 3 atm as well. Are you saying you would pay roughly 3000 euro for an Antea with a higher wr the Ahoi features ?
    No. I really don't understand Nomos' pricing strategy - as thousands of watches on f71 etc. have shown, a 10/20atm WR is absolutely not a 2000-euro-feature. Nomos themselves show this by offering (some) Club models at ~1000 euros, with 10 atm. Pricing on the Ahoi seems more along the lines of "just because we can".

I'm mentioning the Ahoi because it's a watch with an antea-like style, with decent wr. It indicates that there might be a demand for these kinds of things. A demand that Stowa perhaps could be looking into. Without the insane price strategy.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"

The antea line may upgrade to offer better wr one day, but for now, its 5atm. Stowa is a very lean company, I dont think this is their top priority now.

I am more prefer for them to focus on unleashing the Durowe movement as briefly mentioned last year.

With durowe and higher price, maybe then we will see WR upgrade to match the value.

Anyway, good for you to point this out, agree with you that the tech is available and its something Stowa should consider when especially the competitor is offering it.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hidden830726; February 17th, 2016 at 01:09.

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    I'm mentioning the Ahoi because it's a watch with an antea-like style, with decent wr. It indicates that there might be a demand for these kinds of things. A demand that Stowa perhaps could be looking into. Without the insane price strategy.
    As I mentioned above, isn't the better comparison the Nomos Tangente "Sport" series? Which has been offered for many years, and the essential concept of which is a Nomos Tangente featuring 10 ATM WR? Granted it has some small cosmetic differences (lume pips, dial color), but it still looks more similar to a standard Tangente, or to the Stowa Antea, than the Ahoi does. As for price, there is a used Tangente Sport available in the sales forum of this very website for under EUR 1,200 as I type.

I don't mean to repeat myself, but people never seem to mention or acknowledge the Tangente Sport, and this seems like the precise profile it is meant to fill. Personally I have a standard Tangente, but I have seen the Tangente Sport models in shops in Japan and they look really nice in person.
    X2-Elijah likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information