in praise of the Marine Auto...

Thread: in praise of the Marine Auto...

in praise of the Marine Auto...

Well, first a disclaimer -- I am a WIS, and have had more than my share of watches. Many have come and gone. And this is my latest.

After lusting for a Marine series watch, I finally pulled the trigger on a Marine Auto. I purchased this from another forum member, and it was dated 9/2007, so it is pretty factory fresh. Also, being that this guy has dozens of watches, this one is in near mint condition, practically like new.

Love the cool aluminum watch box. Love the clean, simple, elegant dial. And love the DATE function -- for some reason, I just can't do without a date. Which limits me from owning a few cool watches. I even got rid of my 5513, because I just can't do without a date function.

I have always been a fan of many things German. The metalworking in Germany is quite possibly the best in the world. And when I was on tour there in Germany, I fell in love with the place. And also with quite a few girls....many of them named Sabine. I met so many women named Sabine I started to lose track of them all.

Over the years, I have always liked the German watches. Sinn is a favorite, Glashutte, and Muhle Glashutte. All have been fine watches. But I really liked the Marine series from Stowa.

Luckily this particular MA has the blued screws option. Of course, I wish it had the COSC movement, as I am particularly fond of the finishing on that movement. However, this watch is running at +5 seconds per day, which is within COSC specs. I am impressed with how smooth the second hand is. The case is finished quite well, and I love how long the hands are. It is a hypnotic watch to look at, and I find myself just staring at it from time to time during the day. I replaced the OEM black calf Stowa strap with a German-made 22mm thicker leather strap, which seems to add a little "sportiness" to the watch without overwhelming it. I am really much more of a sport/dive watch sort of guy, and don't have to dress formal very often. But I really like how this watch can sort of cross over from being a dress watch to being a bit sporty. EVERY man should own at least one good dress watch, and I think this one shall be mine.

Inside the case was this cool little drawstring Stowa bag. I don't know what it is for, but it's cool to have.

My girlfriend saw this and said "That guy is HOT!". She is a watch fanatic as well, and has more watches than I do. Maybe one day she will get a
    Stowa as well. And how can I be jealous? At least she has good taste

The obligatory "hairy wrist shot". I like how this watch wears larger than it seems, due to the lack of a thick bezel and the size of the dial.

Final thoughts:

For the money, I think this is one of the best watches out there. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the Marine Automatic. For me, it is a great watch that can be worn with jeans or with a suit. Classic styling, absolutely beautiful hands and dial, workhorse movement, and something you are not going to see on everyone's wrist.

Now my watch wants a brother -- The Flieger auto date model would be perfect! I think I will order this one direct from Stowa, and get the COSC movement.

Thanks to Jorg for building them, and for Mike Stuffler for all his input and reviews here on the forum.

Re: in praise of the Marine Auto...

Excellent review. I have the MO and just love it. The MA is also very very well done, and I also love the hands . Date is not a deal killer for me as I rotate through the collection so something will have date at some point during the day.

Thanks again, that's one of the best reviews I've seen. Nice pics and a beauty of a watch. Wear in good health man!

German watches rock.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Seatime/Prodiver, Marine Auto, and Airman -- that would be quite the hat trick!

My credit cards are shrinking away in fear already

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great pics. I also love my recently acquired MA, and it also wants a brother. I really like the strap choice, I am not a big fan of the OEM flat strap, however I thought the strap was 20mm rather than 22. Where is your favorite place to get straps from I plan to get a few soon?

Quote Originally Posted by ari95 View Post
    Great pics. I also love my recently acquired MA, and it also wants a brother. I really like the strap choice, I am not a big fan of the OEM flat strap, however I thought the strap was 20mm rather than 22. Where is your favorite place to get straps from I plan to get a few soon?

Yes, the MA has a 20mm lug width -- however, I took a 22mm strap, and slightly notched the ends a little to make it fit. With a watch that wears as big as the MA, using a slightly bigger strap size works well.

There are SO MANY places to get straps, it almost impossible to list them all. I like Jurgens straps, I like DiModell straps, and HK Tan makes a mighty nice strap. Honestly, one can get LOST just in buying cool custom straps

Thread Information