Problem with water resistance in Flieger? - Page 3
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Problem with water resistance in Flieger?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Problem with water resistance in Flieger?

Quote Originally Posted by cadenza View Post
    As one who is all for consumers rights and fairness above all, in general and whether member, "moderator", or company/sponsor on WUS specifically, I have to say that I am becoming increasingly disappointed in the "Problems with abc-xyz watch!!!" threads here on WUS (and I frequent very few forums here).

N.B.: before someone specific chimes in, I do feel that this thread (and some similar others) is far different from the "Stowa movements" thread, which addressed a completely different (website-wide description errors versus specific-watch technical "problems") set of issues. The two categories are not at all comparable.
    Well said, I agree completely, cadenza. I salute Herr Schauer for his professional and courteous handling of this matter. I also agree with you that anyone posting on WUS about a particular problem with a particular watch of theirs should realize the potential for harm to the brand's reputation (and that might be one reason they do it, to apply extra pressure to the watch manufacturer). Brands live and die by their public perception and Stowa goes to incredible lengths to do right by their customers, and I think this thread shows why Stowa succeeds.

Me, when I had a problem with a new watch I bought, I took it up with the AD. The AD knew I was an active WUS member. I never did the name and shame thing on WUS, I let the AD handle it, and it was handled to my satisfaction. Never had to go to the court of public opinion to get satisfaction.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    Well said, I agree completely, cadenza. I salute Herr Schauer for his professional and courteous handling of this matter. I also agree with you that anyone posting on WUS about a particular problem with a particular watch of theirs should realize the potential for harm to the brand's reputation (and that might be one reason they do it, to apply extra pressure to the watch manufacturer). Brands live and die by their public perception and Stowa goes to incredible lengths to do right by their customers, and I think this thread shows why Stowa succeeds.

Me, when I had a problem with a new watch I bought, I took it up with the AD. The AD knew I was an active WUS member. I never did the name and shame thing on WUS, I let the AD handle it, and it was handled to my satisfaction. Never had to go to the court of public opinion to get satisfaction.
    Thank you and more important: Exactly.

Not to be all "buddy-buddy" here, but the manner in which you handled (and communicated to the rest of us, always via positive contributions, never whining (despite your username ) or snarky), your very real problem with that particular watch, and the AD's subsequent prompt/professional response to you, was exemplary regarding how to civilly address and resolve issues. And, you didn't even have to start a "Problems with" thread to do it...imagine that! Kudos to you and the AD.

Problem with water resistance in Flieger?

I agree with you both @cadenza and @whineboy.

While the internet and forums have given us access to more information, it has also created an undesirable side effect of people using the same internet and forums to complain, name and shame.

I don’t see how Stowa is responsible for this and yet as a business have to put up with it. Maybe people are counting on the fact that businesses do not like bad publicity and will roll over easily - to get their way.

Good on Jorg for posting here to give us a balanced view. Instead of being turned off this brand, Jorg and the crew at Stowa has my respect
    Last edited by Dogbert_is_fat; September 1st, 2019 at 10:42.
    whineboy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stowa was in no need to do this under warranty whatsoever. I know people say they go above and beyond many times - often not really "beyond", but just complying the local laws, but this time they really did. I wonder if OP will ever come back again with something positive or did he come here only to complaint?
    whineboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fracture. View Post
    Stowa was in no need to do this under warranty whatsoever. I know people say they go above and beyond many times - often not really "beyond", but just complying the local laws, but this time they really did. I wonder if OP will ever come back again with something positive or did he come here only to complaint?
    OP has been a member of WUS since Jan 2008 and has posted very little - 50 posts - for the last 11 years. I do hope that he does the right thing and provide closure to the problem he raised. If, as Jorg has said that he will fix it for free, then the OP should at least have the decency to post here and thank contributors and Stowa for it.

I think some people do this on purpose. Create a spectacle, draw the owner out and hope for a favourible outcome

Jorg handled it like a G! salue to him/Stowa!

OP is in the wrong for creating a potential sh*tstorm and not having the balls to stick around for the cleanup.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Auto; September 2nd, 2019 at 11:42.

I think Jorg (Stowa) shouldn't do this. They shouldn't repair this watch for free, because now some people will believe, Stowa will fix anything out of warranty.

It's a bad example for watch owners without a touch for right or wrong.
    whineboy likes this.
    Panerai Luminor 0000 Logo
    Laco Leipzig Erbstuck
    Mido Multifort
    Seiko SDGM003
    EMG DL63
    Poljot Aviator IV
    Orient Ray (blue)
    Orient Bambino IV blue
    Helberg CH8
    Casio Tough Solar
    Sturmanskie vintage
    Garmin Fenix 5+

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel35 View Post
    I think Jorg (Stowa) shouldn't do this. They shouldn't repair this watch for free, because now some people will believe, Stowa will fix anything out of warranty.

It's a bad example for watch owners without a touch for right or wrong.
    I completely empathize and agree with your point, and certainly hope that others do not cynically see this as "Stowa will fix anything out of warranty" precedent, but it may not be so clear. We do not know what, if anything, Stowa and the op previously communicated to each other privately, and what resolution they may have reached.

I do wonder though what kind of communication the op sent to Stowa that would have elicited such a public reply from Stowa, though. In my gut, I suspect very little to none, since as I read the op's post #13 the op apparently had some other unspecified entity "repair the watch for $200"...and then promptly disappeared again, after again slinging more mud at Stowa, to which Stowa clearly (and correctly imo) then felt obliged to respond here, publicly. The op has acted in an odd manner through-out, whereas Stowa/Mr Schauer have acted only professionally.

In that light I see Mr Schauer's "open letter" in post #18 a bit differently, if one reads between his lines, and that is:
    1) Stowa are making this public exception to their standard warranty policy because the op has created more of a headache than anything positive, and they want to conclude the issue once and for all, not let it fester.
    2) Stowa are making this specific resolution public as fair treatment, but also as fair warning. (Per Rahm Emanuel: "Never let a serious crisis go to waste.")
    3) Stowa will thus repair this watch for free (if the op ever bothers to send it to Stowa) but with the implicit warning: "Dear Stowa customers: do not open cases, etc, in the future, or Stowa cannot/will not be so accommodating at all regarding out-of-warranty issues. Please respect our terms and protocols, as we in turn respect our customers."

I do really hope that Stowa has offered to "charge nothing for this work" as long as the op pays for proper shipping both ways, that is: the op should put his money where Stowa have put theirs, in fair and equitable terms. If the op disagrees...too bad.

Perhaps none of this was Mr Schauer's intention, and is purely my romanticizing; if so, my apologies to Stowa for having made these suppositions. Either way: again respect to Schauer/Stowa...and, on the other hand, op: as "fracture", "Dogbert_is_fat", "Mr Auto", and "Gargamel35" all posted above: hey, don't be a stranger, after having dropped these negativity bombs, yeah?
    whineboy likes this.

Stowa/Jorg = class, professionalism, prompt service

OP = duh, duh, and more duh
    Baume & Mercier, Stowa, Ball, Fortis, Alpina, Oris

Funny how this turned into a major positive PR for Stowa

This thread makes me want to buy another Stowa right now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information