Prodiver question for other owners

Thread: Prodiver question for other owners

Question Prodiver question for other owners

Hi gang. Has anyone else had any trouble with the screws when changing straps?

The screws seem harder to fit than my Seatime, and cause more scratching and slipping when attempting to tighten.

Just wondering if its me or others have had the same experience.

Cheers

Bear

Re: Prodiver question for other owners

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Hi gang. Has anyone else had any trouble with the screws when changing straps?

The screws seem harder to fit than my Seatime, and cause more scratching and slipping when attempting to tighten.

Just wondering if its me or others have had the same experience.

Cheers

Bear
    hello Bear,

the only thing i can say to you, use only good screwdrivers!
    the cheap ones are to supple for the Seatime screws,
    regards

Andreas

Sponsor / Moderator

Dear Bear,

i am sorry that you have problems.

Our problem is always the balance between: to make it tight and strong that nobody loose his watch and the other side: to make it not to strong that people can change strap by therself.

I think the only solution is to go to a watchmaker who have some exeperience and best tools to do it in a safe way.

And anyway - if something happen with the pins - i send new ones.
    And if you scratch the case - everything is possible to refresh.

But of course it makes trouble for all of us - sending - custom - efreshing case - send back.

But you always have to know that we care about your watch as good as we can.

best regards

Jörg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

This is just a thought addressed to Jorge really,what about including a couple of screwdrivers as part of the kit (i think the additional cost would not be much)or offer them as a paid for extra?

The new Sinn bracelets have allen bolts and they include the allen keys.,but in the meantime if you are going to strap/bracelet change buy a couple of decent screwdrivers and maybe a case holder they are cheap enough on E Bay and better than scrathing a decent watch.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by UVox
    hello Bear,

the only thing i can say to you, use only good screwdrivers!
    the cheap ones are to supple for the Seatime screws,
    I agree 1000%!!! You have to get the absolute top of the line watch screwdrivers or risk really messing up your watch. And always...TAKE YOUR TIME!

Case in point...this is a regular Greek tragedy

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=14820

I really feel for the guy....

Quote Originally Posted by bleddrewsoe
    I agree 1000%!!! You have to get the absolute top of the line watch screwdrivers or risk really messing up your watch. And always...TAKE YOUR TIME!

I was just going to mention this same case!
    I saw it at TZ....I really feel for him.
    I'd be sick if I mangled such a beautiful watch.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Sponsor / Moderator

Hello everybody,

i just wrote a comment to the owner of the watch who want to sell int he reason that he scratched the lugs and can´t change the strap.
    I hope i can hold him in the "Prodiver´s family"

I think about to deliver the watch in future with screwdrivers.

But lkike i wrote before - it will be always a risc to fit the screws not strong (maybe the people who wear their watch with the delivered strap will loose the watch if the screws come out )

The best will be to contact always a watchmaker with the best tools.

Or to order the watch with a coment : "Please don´t fit the screws to strong - on my own risc - i want to change strap sometimes and i need to have it fixed not to strong" or something like that.

But on the other side we have no realy problems in gerneral with this matter - and we have sold a few hundred Seatime watches.

Of course we have to try to find a perfect solution.
    Maybe the screwdrivers will be - maybe extra pins for free in addition - maybe a tool to hold the watch (a good one is very expensive and only watchmakers have it, but with this good tool it is easy to change.
    I am working on it !

Best regards

Jörg

Perhaps a set or two of very strong spring bars as well as screwed bars taht way if one wants to change straps frequently they have an easy way to do it.

Lengthy response - just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by STOWA/Schauer
    Hello everybody,

i just wrote a comment to the owner of the watch who want to sell int he reason that he scratched the lugs and can´t change the strap.
    I hope i can hold him in the "Prodiver´s family".... <snip>...

Best regards

Jörg
    Quote Originally Posted by bleddrewsoe

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    I was just going to mention this same case!
    I saw it at TZ....I really feel for him.
    I'd be sick if I mangled such a beautiful watch.
    Hello,

This is an interesting thread for me personally :)

Sympathies are nice! Nobody feels more for him than me... because I'm the guy. And I appreciate the cautions about taking one's time and using the proper tools. Good advice for anyone attempting to do this (or any similar) job.

Let me provide some background and additional info. I grew-up in a tool & die / manufacturing environment, and I've worked on some machine shop equipment (surface grinders, engine lathes, etc.). I'm not a machinist, or a professional, but I do have my skills, and I know my limitations. That said... I'm the first one to know that without the proper tools, the "job" can't be done. And I did make a mistake... I didn't have a jig to hold the watch. I just laid it down flat (on a soft cloth) on my desk. Didn't really think I "needed" it. My screwdrivers were good enough to do the job and I worked with a 10X loupe affixed to my eyeglasses so I could really see what I was doing. A screwdriver in each hand. One to prevent one side from rotating and the other to loosen the opposing side. I did try to work carefully, but I couldn't remove the screw(bar) from one side of the watchcase. It was just too tight for me (and I have strong fingers). Yes, I became frustrated and I did get sloppy - you've seen the result - my fault.

Let me back-up a bit. I'd tried this once before a few weeks earlier and had difficulty. Though it was very tight, I was able to remove the screwbar from one side. I did slight damage to the screw slots, but no damage to the lugs. It was minor, I had a bad feeling about continuing and decided to NOT change the bracelet. I just put it back together. Later I emailed Stowa and they were kind enough to send me new screwbars. That's why I had replacements on hand and was able to offer them with the watch for sale.

Well it's been a few weeks and I decided to try again. The one screwbar which I'd removed earlier, came out easily enough. The other end was ridiculously tight. I found it impossible to remove the bracelet from that side. Yes, there was no jig to hold the watch steady, and that was my main problem. It took such force to try to turn the screw that the watch head actually lifted-up and rotated and that's when the driver blades came out of the slots and also scratched the lugs. I tried numerous times... and failed every time. The watch head (from the torque on that tiny screw) kept lifting and rotating. Yes, in my frustration, I made it worse so I gave-up and feeling dejected, decided to offer the watch for sale.

There's a happy ending... I had an interested buyer and we made a deal. He was reticent about fixing it up himself, so I volunteered to take it to my local pro. This jeweler did a teriffic job. He touched-up the lugs and installed the new screwbars. The Prodiver looks brand new!!! I was actually sorry to sell it. It was so nice and clean again, 99.9% perfect!!! But I did let it go because a deal's a deal and my word is my bond (though I did feel like refunding the Paypal payment and keeping it). So my Prodiver's gone - my loss, but I do have a few more comments...

It's not my intention to be the cause of any controversy, but...

I've read (above) the post by Mr. Jorge Schauer. I fully understand the factory's concern that their watches not come off the wrist. They built the Seatime Prodiver to be a tough watch and they have no foreknowledge of the conditions under which these watches will be worn. As was said above, they walk a fine line between making the screws tight (to prevent any accidents) and / or having the screws loose enough for the customer to easily change straps. Above all the screw(s) shouldn't ever vibrate loose and back-out. Better safe than sorry and the advice to have a professional do the strap change is well given.

I understand but I have to comment; In my very humble opinion (IMVHO), This shouldn't be such a tough job (to change straps or bracelets), that a professional is needed. A lay person with the requsite skills tools and knowledge, should be able to successfully do this job. Regarding the screwbars; There is such a thing as firmly tight. There is tight enough. The screws on MY Seatime Prodiver... and maybe not yours... were ridiculously tight. Unnecessarily tight. Gorilla tight!!! And I don't believe they need to be SO tight. I think firmly tight is tight enough. Still I understand the factory's "policy" of erring on the side of caution - though I don't agree. The jeweler who "repaired" my watch had a tough time removing the bracelet. He told me so... He felt it was far tighter than it needed to be (removing and re-installing) he suggested the watch be left on the bracelet all the time.

To be fair... my watch was number three (#0003), a very early model... and maybe the screws were tighted on it moreso than current production. I did work carefully, with a steady hand, and the proper tools (except for a jig - which I shouldn't have needed). Now I know, that with the screws as tight as they were... a jig to hold the watch steady was an absolute necessity. Well...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it:)

As for Stowa, I've never experienced a watch company that shows as much interest in, concern for, and timely response to their customers! They are a top-class act! And despite this singulerly bitter experience, It was my pleasure for a brief time to own a Seatime Prodiver. Maybe someday I'll own one again.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Oh!!! I just read Jorge's comment after I wrote this - so I just want to say "Thank You Jorge" for taking the time, and though my Prodiver's gone, I'll probably be back to you again :) You have my great respect for your tremendous efforts.

Regards to all,
    Robert

Thread Information