Prodiver winding/crown problem
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Prodiver winding/crown problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prodiver winding/crown problem

Took my Prodiver to local watchmaker for repairs on crown/manual winding problem, not engaging, auto is fine however. Waiting for the verdict on the bill, hopefully not much.
    Is this problem common? I have a COSC version, didn't feel like sending it all the way to Germany, so going to have to wait for results. Will let you all know later.
    Anatoly

I don't think this is a common problem...

with any 2824-2, at least not that I'm aware of. I'm not a watchmaker but I do understand watch movements. It seams that either the stem isn't the exact right length or the gear that engages the stem's teeth isn't moving properly when you turn the crown. If you have a watch with a 2824 and a display back you can see the gear engage when manually winding. In any case it's probably not a terribly expensive repair.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Prodiver winding/crown problem

Not a common problem as far as I know. At least it has non been reported here on Watchuseek. You're the first one iirc.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think I have (or had, that watch is in the shop and might come back better) the exact same problem on a Certina DS Pilot with the 2824-2 movement. When the watch was new I could manually wind it a little as the screw-in crown screwed in, but after a year or so that stopped happening.

Re: I don't think this is a common problem...

one would think that with a COSC movement such problmes should not be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    with any 2824-2, at least not that I'm aware of. I'm not a watchmaker but I do understand watch movements. It seams that either the stem isn't the exact right length or the gear that engages the stem's teeth isn't moving properly when you turn the crown. If you have a watch with a 2824 and a display back you can see the gear engage when manually winding. In any case it's probably not a terribly expensive repair.

actually I hear otherwise, but not for Stowa, for other watches with this movement, and I had simila problem with a Tissot Seastar 1000, but instead of repairng, I sold it as it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Not a common problem as far as I know. At least it has non been reported here on Watchuseek. You're the first one iirc.

I will find out this sometime this week,exactly what the problme is and cost of repair.
    Watch isstill under warranty but I am simply not willing to part with it for the time it takes to be shipped to Germany, repaired, and then back to Canada.
    I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the comments
    Anatoly

Anatoly,

Did you find out what the problem was with your watch? Please let us know what the out come is.

Thanks,

Ren

something about a pinion I will find out exactly when it is fixed later this week and will post it then. the watchmaker said around $90 and that includes the parts he had to order
    Quote Originally Posted by Renisin View Post
    Anatoly,

Did you find out what the problem was with your watch? Please let us know what the out come is.

Thanks,

Ren

So after much waiting finally got the word from my local watchmaker about this problem. Fortunately there is nothing wrong with any parts of the movement, on the other hand, I will need a new crown!
    My watchmaker actually went ahead and orderd the gears he originally though were causing the slippage, and after replacing the parts, the problem was still there, and then he realized that he overlooked the obvious, the crown was slipping.
    So here is my question, does anyone know how much a replacement crown for Stowa Pridiver cost? Now my wast is still under warranty, but I am debataing wether to send it out, and be without my favourite watch for another several months, or just pay to have the crown shipped here and fix locally?
    Anatoly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information