Quality Concern about Regular STOWA Models

Thread: Quality Concern about Regular STOWA Models

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rolling eyes Quality Concern about Regular STOWA Models

You guys can see FO LE is really a hot model nowadays in STOWA product lines and more time and more watch making skills are required for the prodution.

I think experienced master watchemakers are now working on this project who worked on regular STOWA models before as well, which means in a short time they can not share any time for those regular models any more. (look at the long waiting list for FO LE and you will see what I mean).

In this sense, those watchmakers who are less experienced than master watchmakers will focus on regular model production.

Do you think it will affect the quality of regular STOWA model?

Re: Quality Concern about Regular STOWA Models

No.

no, and well, no. stowa only makes quality watches. the reason its taking more time for these models, is the watchmakers have more work. that doesn't equate to lesser quality when stowa is involved.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    no, and well, no. stowa only makes quality watches. the reason its taking more time for these models, is the watchmakers have more work. that doesn't equate to lesser quality when stowa is involved.
    +1. It would be silly to compromise the quality on other models just because of FO LE. Stowa is not only about FO LE. Buy with confidence

I can't believe this thread exists. Is a Toyota Camry bad because a Lexus GS is good? Absolutely not. Watchmaking is not a zero sum game where when you make one thing good it makes another thing bad.

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Darren, This is a rediculous suggestion. The fact that there is a long waiting time should be a clear answer to any doubt about quality. Mr. Schauer is a perfectionist and he will go to any length including long delay to deliver a perfect watch

Cheers,
    Bhanu

I want to add a fact:

Last week when I visited Stowa, Jörg Schauer not only told me about five master watchmakers that are creating the watches - he also gave me a tour through his workshop: Real people were working there

I don't doubt in their ability to produce quality - all my 13 STOWA/Schauer watches stand for the contrary.

Volker

It's Jorg's name on these watches, so you can be assured of the quality.

Personally, I can't think of a watch company that exceeds Stowa for quality control, and customer service.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from Stowa, or recommend to others (which I have)

Chris
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Hi -

Perhaps a bit of clarification is also pertinent.

A master watchman in Germany, where Jörg operates, is a title awarded by a commission after rather extensive testing.

In Germany you have the apprentice system. Your beginning watchmaker has a three-year apprenticeship. In the first year, they learn about how watches work - including the math - and learn about materials. The second year they learn how to work on watches, how to diagnose the problems, and go through an extensive program of learning how each individual part is made and its function. The third year is basically a practice year: only in the third year may they actually work on customer's watches under the eye of the master watchmaker to whom they are apprenticed.

To make a watch, you need to have a watchmaker: they are competently trained and qualified to manufacture a watch from its component parts: dial, hands, movement, case. They are also capable of adjusting the movement to reach a certain time-keeping quality. This is how all watch manufacturers work.

A budding master watchmaker, on the other hand, has worked professionally after his apprenticeship for at least five years. He goes through additional training to master his profession: while the watchmaker has learned the math to calculate cutting gears, the budding master watchmaker learns the math to actually design a new movement and is able to calculate the geometries of hairsprings and balance wheels, as well as escapement design. Further, the master examination is very strict and demanding, and a common task is the manufacturing of a pocket watch from scratch, i.e. not using any existing parts, but rather literally by hand with a modicum of tools. The requirement is not to create a completely new movement, but rather is to create a hand-built movement to prove the mastery of the craft of watchmaking. Not all choose this route; others, for instance, choose to build a tourbillon of their own design, or chose to work on special complications.

In any case, the master watchmaker, when they pass their exams, are capable of conducting any work on a watch. This includes trouble-shooting problematic watch mechanisms to find out why they aren't working correctly, working on repairs and damaged watches, and working on improving productivity and providing competent and professional sales and post-sales services. They are generally in charge of a team of watchmakers, and in turn train budding watchmakers to learn their trade.

Hence using only master watchmakers to assemble "ordinary" watches is actually wasteful for most manufacturer: these are highly productive workers whose time can be spent better on other tasks. Companies at the very high-end use master watchmakers when working on watches that sell for tens of thousands of Euros, as these watches go through repeated tests and modifications to provide the best time-keeping qualities achievable (think Glashütte). For watches costing considerably less, any company using only master watchmakers for that purpose will not continue in business because they will not have the revenue stream needed to pay their master watchmakers properly.

If Jörg employs five master watchmakers, that means he is preparing to expand (which of course makes sense given that he is building new space for his watchmakers) and has hired his management staff, so to speak, before hiring additional watchmakers. Given his dedication to excellence - and I have never heard anything but that regarding Jörg - this makes sense.

Given the generally very high levels of training inherent in the German apprentice system, using "normal" watchmakers results in perfectly assembled and functioning watches, regulated to meet normal production norms, which are generally of very high quality and tight tolerances.

As a disclaimer: I own a number of Stowas, but they are all vintage Stowas from well before Jörg's acquisition of the name. I have three of the classic Bauhaus design that I dearly love and are amongst my favorite watches.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

If there are any less than perfect Stowa watches, and there are with ANY brand, you can be assured Jorg will correct it.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information