Quality of non COSC movement

Thread: Quality of non COSC movement

Quality of non COSC movement

Hi Guys!

I remember reading a post a while ago by Mr. Stuffler regarding the quality of the ETA 2824-2 used in the Stowa's Airman and Marine watch-models. I've been thinking about ordering one or the other and I'd like to know as much as possible about the movement's quality. For instance, is the balance wheel made of Glucydur or not? Is the spring Nivarox 1 or not? I ask you these questions because I'd like to know if spending the extra money on the Chronometer version is worth doing. Movement finish is of lesser concern to me since I've come to realize that I very seldom check the movements of my watches with a see-through case-back.

Thank you in advance for your responses. They will most certainly help me make my mind up about which movement version to order with my next Stowa.

Best regards

Pierre
    Last edited by Pierre_S; August 10th, 2008 at 17:23.

Re: Quality of non COSC movement

Top Grade and Chronometer grade are mechanically identical, the base is the entry level movement, and elabore is one step up from base. I seem to remember that STowa uses an elabore grade, my own personal rule of thumb is if I plan on keeping the watch I go for the top or chrono grade movement.

Hello Pierre
    This is much discussed and opinions vary greatly.
    I've owned a Seatime and 2 Anteas, standard issue.
    All kept excellent accuracy with no regard to position.
    I'd personally not pay the premium for the cosc option for accuracy (which IS important to me) unless I valued the slight re-sale advantage.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your replies. As far as Caesar's answer is concerned you've got me wondering. I thought the elabore grade version had more decoration than the non COSC Stowa movements have. I seem to recall owning a watch with an ETA-peseux 7001 movement of elabore grade and it had pearl graining and sunburst pattern on its wheels. Maybe I'm wrong. Is an elabore grade movement characterized by the choice of materials in the different components (i.e. glucydur and/or nivarox) or is decoration of the movement plate and/or wheels what elabore is about?

Best regards

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre_S View Post
    Thank you for your replies. As far as Caesar's answer is concerned you've got me wondering. I thought the elabore grade version had more decoration than the non COSC Stowa movements have. I seem to recall owning a watch with an ETA-peseux 7001 movement of elabore grade and it had pearl graining and sunburst pattern on its wheels. Maybe I'm wrong. Is an elabore grade movement characterized by the choice of materials in the different components (i.e. glucydur and/or nivarox) or is decoration of the movement plate and/or wheels what elabore is about?

Best regards

Pierre
    I believe as far as the ETA 2824 calibre the only difference between the base and elabore is the amount of decorating. I remember seeing a post on this some time ago. Like I said in my previous post if it's a watch I plan on keeping I will pay for the Top or COCS grade to get the better materials and components.

The grade of the movement (used materials and regulation) and "amount" of decoration are two completely seperate issues.

Excerpts taken from an ETA technical paper for the 2824 (which by the way is available on their website)
    https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDef...dex=3&tabid=28

Barrel Spring:
    Nivaflex NO (Std / Elab)
    Nivaflex NM (Top/Chrono)

Shockabsorber
    Etachocs (Std / Elab)
    Incabloc (Top/Chrono)

Balance Wheel
    Nickel (Std / Elab)
    Glucydur (Top/Chrono)

Adjustment: (positions / (+/-)average rate / max. variations all positions / (+/-) isochronism)
    Standard: 2 / 12 /30 / 20
    Elaboré: 7 / 20 / 15
    TOP: 4 / 15 / 10
    COSC: according to COSC criteria

However this is not gerneral ETA law as: "you get what you pay for" and obviously lots of variations are possible (this is also when the aspect of decoration comes into place again)
    Last edited by powermaxi2000; August 10th, 2008 at 19:11.

Thread Information