Question about Stowa Marine Autos

Thread: Question about Stowa Marine Autos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about Stowa Marine Autos

Hello everyone, lovely forum! I am wanting to make my first foray into the Stowa world after admiring them for a few years.

I originally wanted a MO, but after a few hand winders I realized that I just don't like winding them, I guess I'm lazy! I also am leaning toward all no date watches.

So that leaves the Autos. I love the look of the no date version it just seems cleaner to me, but can they still be ordered in the eggshell white? I was really looking forward to my first white dialed watch but it seems this model is only available in silver? Anyone own the newer silver one? How silver is it and is it comparable to the white?

Did a white dial no date auto ever exist? I could swear I have seen one, if so maybe I could pick one up used or perhaps they could fulfill a request if they still have the dials around?

Also, I am open to be swayed to the new silver if anyone wants to make an argument.

As always thanks in advance!

Re: Question about Stowa Marine Autos

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

I think Stowa can still set you up with an eggshell dial marine auto without date...
    The new website does not show it yet but there is still some more work to be done at that site.

I'd advise you to simply write Stowa and ask them? Email [email protected] and you will get an answer to your questions for sure!

Cheers,

CT

Obviously write to Stowa. But my sense is that the only no-date option is silver dial.
    From what I can tell by looking at wrist shots of people who own them, the silver dial is silvery, but the overall effect of it is still fairly white. If that makes sense.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Manolete View Post
    Obviously write to Stowa. But my sense is that the only no-date option is silver dial.
    From what I can tell by looking at wrist shots of people who own them, the silver dial is silvery, but the overall effect of it is still fairly white. If that makes sense.
    Yes, it does. Thank you both for the response. Does anyone by chance have pics of the two next to one another? I know they are on the website, but "in the wild" pics look much different in my opinion. Now I am leaning silver.....

The white is lovely, but silver is quite unique. The colour depends on how the light hits it. Someone described it's like a macbook air, but with much finer blasting.
    The printing is very sharp as well.

If you do a search for Marine 2801 you'll find a few more pics of the no date solid silver dial. Here's mine:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/my-...-a-503225.html

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg I View Post
    Yes, it does. Thank you both for the response. Does anyone by chance have pics of the two next to one another? I know they are on the website, but "in the wild" pics look much different in my opinion. Now I am leaning silver.....
    My Marine ETA 2801

Regarding my Marine Auto you will find a review in the review section.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

For my money the MA No Date Silver is one watch that you aren't going to be able to buy anywhere it else. I hesitate to call it unique since every style of watch is different in its own way, but this is a really gorgeous, unusual, rare piece of watchmaking. I have an MO on its way to me, white dial, but it was touch and go down to the last minute -- as anyone who reads this forum knows to their sorrow and boredom -- whether I was going to get an MA and had I gotten an MA, it would have been the one you are considering. Just an amazing piece of horology.

Gentlemen thank you one and all. I Haven't been active on watch forums in awhile and I appreciate the fact that I am getting so much information and it is actually making the decision more difficult I love the simplicity of the sliver dial but I too am missing the "made in Germany" for some reason. Maybe because I have been used to seeing it on the MO the past few years of lusting.

Another fear I have about the "unique silver dial" is that I had a D.Freemont BTP that had a very similar look and it always just sort of seemed washed out to me and I wished it was white, even though I did really like the uniqueness of the dial and it got alot of compliments.

Last edited by Greg I; February 24th, 2011 at 14:40.

For anyone wondering I got a response to all my questions from Stowa about dials and what not, also here is an answer about making your polished case matte finish:

Hello there, I have a few questions.

1. I bought a second hand Marine Auto with a polished case. If I were to send in the watch for service in a year or so, could I get the case blasted to be the matte finish? What would the cost be to me?

Please be informed that if we would servicing your watch anyway at the same time additional cost to matt finish your case would be EUR 50 - 70.If we would matt finish your case seperately we would have to charge around EUr 120.

2. Is the Marine Auto available with no date, white dial and "made in germany" on it? I have seen this version before and wonder if you have any of the old dials left. I wish the silver dial still had made in germany stamped upon it (seems we all can never agree!)

our white dial is only offered with date and our silver date only without Germany - sorry

3. When do you expect the Marine Original to be offered with the new silver dial? I am pretty sure I will be ordering one!

we will offer it in april today I can not provide you with the approximate delivery time

Hi Greg,

that's the one you are referring to in "2.", isn't it?

- White dial,
    - no date window,
    - "Made in Germany",

Volker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information