Question re: Stowa Airman w/date vs. Airman Original

Thread: Question re: Stowa Airman w/date vs. Airman Original

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question re: Stowa Airman w/date vs. Airman Original

I've got a growing interest in Stowa. What I'm reading shows that the Airman with Date is only about half the cost of the Airman Original, even though the AO does not have a date function, and they appear to be very similar pieces. I see the AO has a modified ETA Unitas vs. the Airman w/Date which has the ETA 2824. Other than that, and the AO being 1 mm larger case size, why is it that the AO is double the cost of the two, even w/o a date feature?

Second question: I don't suppose there are any of the Stowa MO 80th anniversary LEs left, are there? I love the look of that piece, but wasn't really following Stowa that closely back when it was released.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

stuffler,mike

Re: Question re: Stowa Airman w/date vs. Airman Original

Quote Originally Posted by Timewaster View Post
    I've got a growing interest in Stowa. What I'm reading shows that the Airman with Date is only about half the cost of the Airman Original, even though the AO does not have a date function, and they appear to be very similar pieces. I see the AO has a modified ETA Unitas vs. the Airman w/Date which has the ETA 2824. Other than that, and the AO being 1 mm larger case size, why is it that the AO is double the cost of the two, even w/o a date feature?
    It is the way the Unitas is modified and the time and material you have to invest for that modification. And yes: There is no date which is essential for a Flieger, a Flieger has to have no date. My advice: Read the forum carefully and you will know why all these modifications and why no date is a must for the owners.

Second question: I don't suppose there are any of the Stowa MO 80th anniversary LEs left, are there? I love the look of that piece, but wasn't really following Stowa that closely back when it was released.
    No pcs. left.

I'm on the waiting list for the Flieger Original serial version, and a big part for me is that the manual wind version has more of the authentic features of the original B-Uhr than the automatic version.

Others have a far better knowledge of this than me but the big one for me is the fact that the original B-Uhrs had a manual wind pocket watch movement (and I think Stowa even used a Unitas movement in their original B-Uhr). I think the stop-at-12 hacking seconds and the modification to convert the pocket watch movement to central seconds were also features of the original B-Uhrs too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My suggestion is to start w/ the airman auto...............it's the icon w/out the higher price tag.

I just placed an order for a Stowa Airman automatic w/o date for exactly the reasons that Dr. Robert suggested. It is the closest thing I can get to the original for a reasonable price. I briefly considered an Archimedes, but in the end I wanted to to with an original supplier and what appears to be the better quality of the Stowa.

One thing is certain, the responsiveness from Stowa has been superb. Now I just have to await delivery, which is scheduled for June (my choice).

JonathanA

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's all very interesting. I'll have to look into this some more.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    Quote of the month:
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
    My suggestion is to start w/ the airman auto...............it's the icon w/out the higher price tag.

I agree with this, too. IMO, fliegers can have dates. Both the Auto w/date and the Airman Original are homages to (not recreations of) the old b-uhrs, so you just have to pick the features you like. I like the convenience of an automatic with a date more than I like having the most faithful homage possible, so that's why I picked the Airman w/date.

Be sure to let us know what you pick!

Yeah, I do have to admit that I like the date feature. When it comes to watches, I consider myself to be kind of a "comtemporary purist" which I know is somewhat of a paradox. Anyway, these Stowas have such a nice clean look to them. I'll definitely have to lurk in this forum more often.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Quote of the month:
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

I am still wondering why most of the manual wind pilot watches are limited editions or are soo difficult to get. Automatics are everywhere - but not the manulas. Are they made in lower quantities on purpose just to keep the price high? Or the movements are difficult to get? Could anyone explain that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    I am still wondering why most of the manual wind pilot watches are limited editions or are soo difficult to get. Automatics are everywhere - but not the manulas. Are they made in lower quantities on purpose just to keep the price high? Or the movements are difficult to get? Could anyone explain that? Thanks.
    Others are better informed than me, but my understanding is that the modifications required for the Unitas 6497 in the Flieger Original are not trivial and take quite a lot of time. Although the ETA 2824 movement in the automatic version is nicely finished, as far as I know there are no actual mechanical modifications required to it.

It may also be a question of the limited availability of the hand wind movements from ETA compared to the automatic ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information