Question regarding: Stowa Marine Original and Rios1931 straps thickness?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Iandk
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: Question regarding: Stowa Marine Original and Rios1931 straps thickness?

Question Question regarding: Stowa Marine Original and Rios1931 straps thickness?

I have a Stowa Marine Original, with the original Stowa croco strap.
    I tried to measure the thickness of the strap at the lug/spring bar, and it is ~5,0mm.
    This was confirmed by Stowa, who wrote me that their croco straps are ~5,0mm-5,5mm thick.

I am interested in a Rios1931 strap, navy blue croco (which Stowa no longer sell).
    This strap in particular and many of the Rios are listed as 6,0mm thick at the lug end, and I have read some concerns regarding the thickness.

Will a ~6,0mm thick strap fit my M O fine?

I am hoping that some Stowa owner here has direct experience.
    Thank you.

Re: Question regarding: Stowa Marine Original and Rios1931 straps thickness?

I have worn RIOS1931 on my Marine Original Blue LE and worked fabulously.

Thank you,
    is your Rios strap the thicker construction though (because they also make some "standard/less" thick models)?

Ocean Blue Imperial - RIOS1931 Premium Genuine Alligator Watch Strap
    Material: Genuine Alligator Leather in Matte, Flank
    Seam: Match Stitching, »Art Manuel«
    Thickness of Strap: Tapering from approximately 6.0 mm to 3.0 mm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Any further advice on this question, please?
    I would love to know if the Stowa MO can handle a 6,0mm thick strap.

Also, is there any significant quality difference between "Flank Cut" alligator skin and "Full Cut"?
    I am looking at 2 RIOS1931 alligator straps, one "flank" and the other (also much more expensive) "full", but cannot find any real descriptions/definitions/discussions of "flank" versus "full" anywhere, neither on Rios nor on Google in general.

I've got the MO on a Rios shell cordovan; it fits fine and does not look or feel out-of-proportion. Taking a set of calipers to them gives me ~6.4-6.5mm on the thick padded end of strap, tapering down to ~3mm at the far end.

Name:  MO-Rios1.png
Views: 42
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  MO-Rios2.png
Views: 43
Size:  1.44 MB

I think it should look fine. :)

Can't tell you much about alligator skin cuts though.

Edit:

Some googling did turn up this though: https://www.alligatorleather.com/fre...tor-hides.html, talking about the flank + belly pattern which includes small and large scales;

and a few other discussions such as this: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/pu...h-4732233.html, and one on a replica watch forum which I thus will decline to link to.

Taking that and looking at the descriptions on the store pages for the Rios straps, it seems to suggest that the flank cut has the smaller scales from the flank of the alligator, while the full cut has the larger scales from just the belly.
    Last edited by Iandk; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:37.
    cadenza likes this.

It should fit fine. Might be a bit stiff at first but will wear in nicely after a few wrist sessions.
    cadenza likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

@ Iandk
    @ Nokie
    Thank you both for the precise replies; I very much appreciate it.

I will be ordering the Rios1931 "Imperial"; Flank Cut; Ocean Blue (dark blue).

The Rios1931 "Spitfire": Full Cut; is really very nice but almost 2x the cost.
    Apparently it is made for IWC, but obviously anyone can buy one.
    It has the standard IWC buckle end shape; "full cut" skin (seller says no real quality difference vs "flank cut", and you are correct Iandk; he said that it is really a subjective (scale size, etc.) difference, no big deal); has a fantastic looking black lining (the "Imperial" has the normal Rios beige lining); but is slightly shorter than the Imperial (114/74: 188mm versus "Imperial" 114/82: 196mm); and...costs more $$$.

So, Imperial it will be.

Thanks again, cheers.