Question on Stowa Flieger Airman Movement

Thread: Question on Stowa Flieger Airman Movement

Question on Stowa Flieger Airman Movement

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit confused. Does the Stowa Flieger Airman come equiped with a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement?

OR does it come with a Non-Swiss movement, and the upgradeable COSC movement is 2824-2?

Any thoughts on this particular movement....is it worth spending the extra money to get COSC? Or is the original movement that comes with the Airman at no extra charge juts as good? I know there is a lot of hype about the COSC, but is it truly worth spending the extra money? I've heard the regular ETA-2824 movement is a workhorse as well.

I did a search on the Airmans. Any new thoughts....absolutely any honest "negatives" about this watch in general? I've read ton of positives, but wondering if there are any negatives?

Also I read somewhere in a previous post that Jörg Schauer personally inspects his Stowa watches before sending them out to customers, is this true? If it is, this watch makes it MUCH more appealing than purchasing an expensive watch which is mass-produced.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.....Cheers!

Re: Question on Stowa Flieger Airman Movement

Airman auto comes w/ a ETA 2824-2 movement that can be upgraded to COSC. I think the only negative is the loooong wait! Quality is excellent, I wasn't wild about the strap, changed it, easy fix, watch is now perfect for me. It runs well & is precise.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by tahb View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Does the Stowa Flieger Airman come equiped with a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement?
    Yes, possible to upgrade to an COSC certified ETA 2824-2

OR does it come with a Non-Swiss movement, and the upgradeable COSC movement is 2824-2?
    Stowa watches always are fitted with swiss movements.

Any thoughts on this particular movement....is it worth spending the extra money to get COSC? Or is the original movement that comes with the Airman at no extra charge juts as good? I know there is a lot of hype about the COSC, but is it truly worth spending the extra money? I've heard the regular ETA-2824 movement is a workhorse as well.

I did a search on the Airmans. Any new thoughts....absolutely any honest "negatives" about this watch in general? I've read ton of positives, but wondering if there are any negatives?
    Read all the COSC related threads here on WUS, just use the search function and you are in the know. Here´s only one: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1810675
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; June 23rd, 2009 at 09:20.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cool, Thank You for the clarification both Mike & Dr. Robert. Appreciate it!

stuffler,mike

Some more info:

This is one of your first posts here and you may not know that we offer a cross-forum-search-function. Typing ETA 2824 or COSC will lead you to a bunch of threads/posts not to say tons.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=228380

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=174408

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=148016

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=150927

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...2325&highlight

Sources you may look at to find out more: wikipedia, www.eta.ch, www.cosc.ch.

Shortly and my standard answer:

There are 4 grades of ETA 2824-2 movements offered by ETA:

Standard and Elaboré:
    Mainspring - Nivaflex NO
    Shock protection - Etachocs
    Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Nickel gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Nivarox 2
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

Top and Chronometre:
    Mainspring - NivaflexNM
    Shock protection - Incabloc
    Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Glucydur gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Anachron
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

Standard:
    2 positions (CH, 6H)
    daily rate: +/-12 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 30 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

Elaboré:
    3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H)
    daily rate: +/-7 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 20 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

Top:
    5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
    daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Chronometre:
    As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade.

Quote Originally Posted by tahb View Post
    Any thoughts on this particular movement....is it worth spending the extra money to get COSC? Or is the original movement that comes with the Airman at no extra charge juts as good? I know there is a lot of hype about the COSC, but is it truly worth spending the extra money?
    IMHO if a watch has a transparent caseback then it is worth the upgrade for aesthetic reasons. It's much more pleasing to view a highly finished movement with blued screws and decorations than just a plain 2824.

Dr.Robert:

I think the only negative is the loooong wait!
    Yes, but right in the moment you are holding the watch in your hands for the first time, that negative aspect changes to an all around positive one.
    That's the moment you know all your waiting was rewarded with a great watch.

My longest time awaiting a Stowa was nearly two years - and I love that watch, especially the backside:

Volker

Thread Information