Question on vintage Stowa from complete watch newbie

Thread: Question on vintage Stowa from complete watch newbie

Question on vintage Stowa from complete watch newbie

Hi everyone,

I have recently been looking for a couple new watch, after about a decade of not owning any watches. Being the nerd that I am, i started searching and searching different watch makers and got overwhelmed. Luckily, i stumbled across watchuseek and have just loved this website.....So much great information in one place.

Anyway, I am thinking about three watches. An Oris diver, a Stowa Marine, and some kind of vintage watch. The 1st two are easy, because I know I can go to an AD, or in the case of Stowa, their website and purchase the real deal. The vintage watch is were my problem is. I found a vintage Stowa on ebay that i liked, but i have no idea if it is a real Stowa, or what to look for.......the thing that is throwing me is the lowercase writting of Stowa and the square design.

I was hoping that one of you with much greater knowledge than myself can give me some insight on the watch below and tell me something about it, or what i might look for in the future.

Square and Stylish German Stowa, Manual - eBay (item 130541730636 end time Jul-07-11 23:04:09 PDT)

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Question on vintage Stowa from complete watch newbie

It is a real Stowa with a PUW 361 movement.

I had a PUW 361 Stowa too: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/gre...1-a-60235.html

PUW stands for Pforzheimer Uhrenwerke (Pforzheim Watch Movements or Pforzheim Ebauches).
    PUW movements have been very popular in from the 60ties to the 70ties and I think they are worth to be collected (just as a witness of time).

Price is a bit steep imho.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Well thanks for the information. Just to show how much of a watch novice I am, I thought the price was somewhat reasonable considering how much I am going to be spending on new watches in the near future.

I don't mind overpaying a bit i guess, because i did find this watch to be unique.

Thanks again

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi chuggybear68,

I don't agree with Mike .
    It might be a genuine STOWA - but at least the dial is repainted: Look at the black vertical lines in the markers at "3, 6, 9 and 12".
    The brand is written in a way I can't identify on any of my many vintage STOWA watches. Click to compare: Wintitsches

I just looked through my albums: Not one watch uses the word "RUBIES", they all say "RUBIS"

Mike is right in mentioning that STOWA often used PUW movements.
    This watch is a -bad- restored watch with the look of a STOWA....through Ukrainian eyes IMHO.

The price: It's about three to four times higher than is usually paid for a genuine STOWA in a good (not NOS) condition.

Considering all details I would rather go on looking for another vintage STOWA, that can be identified being a STOWA.

Volker

Today I dug really deep into my collection and found this:

Those are pics I just made.
    You can see how the brand is written correctly, how lines on the main markers have to be done and that they are printing "RUBIS".

If there are any questions I will try to reply,

brainless

PS: I bought this watch about two years ago and paid less than 40,-€ (app. 55 $).

Thank both of y'all for all of the information. I had focused so much on the lower case letters in Stowa that I did not even notice the Rubis/Rubies. I was able to cancel my purchase before I paid for the watch, so I guess i learned a lesson very cheaply. It is a shame though, because I really did like that watch.

I think i am going to wait a while on diving into the vintage watch world until i have a little more knowledge. I am going to take the money I saved on this one and just go ahead and by a NIB Stowa......their watches really are beautiful.

Thanks again guys

Thread Information