Quite A Few Stowa Airman Questions Here

Thread: Quite A Few Stowa Airman Questions Here

Quite A Few Stowa Airman Questions Here

Okay,

So admittedly I'm just getting into the nice mechanical watch thing. I've always just worn regular old Citizen's and the like however I'm at a place in my life where I can maybe afford one nice mechanical watch and I've got it narrowed down to a few, but have really been leaning towards the Airman as it's just got everything I want. Simplicity, looks, and the blue dials are what tipped me over the edge (and I'm just not happy with the Oris BC3 I bought).

Anyways, on to the questions.

The Airman Original and the Airman Automatic:

I assume that the Airman Original is a wind version, and is a bit bigger. However are there any other substantial differences for the price jump?

I'm probably going to lean towards the Airman Automatic and was wondering around how many seconds a day they typically gain? Does getting one with a date display make any difference?

Would it be a good idea for me to buy a used Stowa? Does the warranty carry to a new owner? Is there a warranty at all?

How durable are they?

Anyone with a bad experience with their Airman?

General Mechanical Watch Questions:

Where can I find a good book to read that will give me all the basic "Watches For Dummies" information? All these abbreviations and coded movement models are making my head spin!

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I just want to be an informed consumer before I commit this much money to this.

Thanks for any and all help on my watch search.

Oh by the way the other watches I'm considering are the Sinn 656 and Revue Thommen Airspeed.

Thanks!

David

stuffler,mike

Re: Quite A Few Stowa Airman Questions Here

Quote Originally Posted by McSoappy View Post
    I assume that the Airman Original is a wind version, and is a bit bigger. However are there any other substantial differences for the price jump?
    Yes, the Airman is fitted with an ETA 2824-2 automatic movement and the AO is fitted with a fine finished and modified Unitas hw movement. For more information I'd like to mention our (cross-) forum-search-function. There are a lot of threads explaining the difference. The stowa website explains a lot of things too. Just compare.

I'm probably going to lean towards the Airman Automatic and was wondering around how many seconds a day they typically gain?
    Here is my standard answer:

Sources you may look at too are: wikipedia, www.eta.ch.

Grades of the ETA 2824-2:

Standard and Elaboré:
    Mainspring - Nivaflex NO
    Shock protection - Etachocs
    Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Nickel gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Nivarox 2
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

Top and Chronometre:
    Mainspring - NivaflexNM
    Shock protection - Incabloc
    Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Glucydur gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Anachron
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

Standard:
    2 positions (CH, 6H)
    daily rate: +/-12 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 30 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

Elaboré:
    3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H)
    daily rate: +/-7 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 20 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

Top:
    5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
    daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Chronometre:
    As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade.
    For COSC see: www.cosc.ch

You may search this forum and will find out that Stowa watches are performing very well, some to C.O.S.C. specs without being certified. Again: Feel free to search the forum.

Does getting one with a date display make any difference?
    No.

Would it be a good idea for me to buy a used Stowa? Does the warranty carry to a new owner?
    Yes, if you will get the papers and bill.

Is there a warranty at all?
    Yes, but you will not need it.

How durable are they?
    Compared to what ?

Where can I find a good book to read that will give me all the basic "Watches For Dummies" information? All these abbreviations and coded movement models are making my head spin!
    AMAZON has quite a great collection.

WOW! Just when I thought I didn't know much I found out I know nothing...LOL!

Thanks very much for all that information, I can't wait to start doing my research!

Also, if anyone has any personal experiences with the Airman, please feel free to share.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

I know you are a "new kid on the block" but I already mentioned our forum's search function. Please make use of it, typing just "Airman" here on the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum you will have 515 hits, type "Flieger" and you will find additional information, a lot of reading though.

You may also have a look on the sub-forum "articles" where you' ll find a "mini review" on the Airman. You will also find a review on the Airman ETA 2801 in our "Review Forum". Because of the fact that the Stowa Marina Auto is similar to the Airman Auto you may also search for the "Stowa Marine". Reviews on that watch are available on WUS too. Everything you are looking for is already here.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 17th, 2008 at 15:36.

Quote Originally Posted by McSoappy View Post
    Okay,

So admittedly I'm just getting into the nice mechanical watch thing. I've always just worn regular old Citizen's and the like however I'm at a place in my life where I can maybe afford one nice mechanical watch and I've got it narrowed down to a few, but have really been leaning towards the Airman as it's just got everything I want. Simplicity, looks, and the blue dials are what tipped me over the edge (and I'm just not happy with the Oris BC3 I bought).

Anyways, on to the questions.

The Airman Original and the Airman Automatic:

I'm probably going to lean towards the Airman Automatic and was wondering around how many seconds a day they typically gain? Does getting one with a date display make any difference?

Would it be a good idea for me to buy a used Stowa? Does the warranty carry to a new owner? Is there a warranty at all?

How durable are they?

Anyone with a bad experience with their Airman?

General Mechanical Watch Questions:

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I just want to be an informed consumer before I commit this much money to this.

Thanks for any and all help on my watch search.

Oh by the way the other watches I'm considering are the Sinn 656 and Revue Thommen Airspeed.

Thanks!

David
    I have a Stowa Airman Automatic with Date non-COSC, and I think it's a great watch. Mine keeps excellent time, at a hair less than +1 sec a day, which is well within chronometer specs. I've perceived the general consensus on this forum to be that the standard-grade 2824-2 movement included in the automatics keeps chronometer-quality time.

As for durability, it's good, but you can find more durable watches. It has a domed sapphire crystal, strong springbars, which are both good. But the crown doesn't screw in, which contributes to the watch's rather low water resistance of 50m. But assuming you keep it on a leather strap, you probably aren't going to submerge the watch anyway, so I'm not sure how big of a deal this is. And the movement has shock protection, but as with any other mechanical watch, you'd be best advised to take it off while doing anything high-impact like hammering nails or playing golf.

There are really only three things about this watch that I'd change. First, I'd make the minute hand's lume coverage longer. This watch can be a little tough to read because the minute and hour hands aren't readily distinguishable at a quick glance. Most often, the blued hands disappear into the black dial, making the lume coverage the primary means for reading the watch. I'd like for the tip of the lume to reach the tick marks around the dial so you can more easily distinguish the minute hand from the hour hand.

Second, the watch could stand to be a couple millimeters larger. The 40mm size is bigger than most watches out there, but WWII-inspired fliegers should by their nature be oversized watches. I think 42mm would be a size that would fit the style a little better.

Finally, I wouldn't get the rivetless leatherstrap. I thought the leather was thin and rough, and the keepers are so thin that they seem like they're going to break free when I slide the strap through them. I'd order the riveted strap, as it appears to be higher quality. But I can't really knock the watch too much for the rivetless strap, as straps are easily changed.

Still, I think the Stowa is a better watch than the Sinn 656 for a number of reasons. First, it's half the cost. Second, the Stowa is 40mm, whereas the Sinn is 38.5mm. Third, they have the same movements. I like the Sinn dial and hands a bit more than the Stowa, but not enough to outweigh the other factors cutting in Stowa's direction.

Good luck on your decision, and I hope you go with the Airman!

Edit: I'd just go ahead and buy a new one. These watches very rarely find their way onto the for-sale forum because there are so many happy customers. And when they do, they often are in such high demand that the seller can get close to the actual retail price. Plus, the people at Stowa are great to work with, and you'll likely take comfort in the fact that, by buying new, you're supporting a small company of people that really care about the art and tradition of producing high quality watches.
    Last edited by Hansch99; December 17th, 2008 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansch99 View Post
    I have a Stowa Airman Automatic with Date non-COSC, and I think it's a great watch. Mine keeps excellent time, at a hair less than +1 sec a day, which is well within chronometer specs. I've perceived the general consensus on this forum to be that the standard-grade 2824-2 movement included in the automatics keeps chronometer-quality time.

As for durability, it's good, but you can find more durable watches. It has a domed sapphire crystal, strong springbars, which are both good. But the crown doesn't screw in, which contributes to the watch's rather low water resistance of 50m. But assuming you keep it on a leather strap, you probably aren't going to submerge the watch anyway, so I'm not sure how big of a deal this is. And the movement has shock protection, but as with any other mechanical watch, you'd be best advised to take it off while doing anything high-impact like hammering nails or playing golf.

There are really only three things about this watch that I'd change. First, I'd make the minute hand's lume coverage longer. This watch can be a little tough to read because the minute and hour hands aren't readily distinguishable at a quick glance. Most often, the blued hands disappear into the black dial, making the lume coverage the primary means for reading the watch. I'd like for the tip of the lume to reach the tick marks around the dial so you can more easily distinguish the minute hand from the hour hand.

Second, the watch could stand to be a couple millimeters larger. The 40mm size is bigger than most watches out there, but WWII-inspired fliegers should by their nature be oversized watches. I think 42mm would be a size that would fit the style a little better.

Finally, I wouldn't get the rivetless leatherstrap. I thought the leather was thin and rough, and the keepers are so thin that they seem like they're going to break free when I slide the strap through them. I'd order the riveted strap, as it appears to be higher quality. But I can't really knock the watch too much for the rivetless strap, as straps are easily changed.

Still, I think the Stowa is a better watch than the Sinn 656 for a number of reasons. First, it's half the cost. Second, the Stowa is 40mm, whereas the Sinn is 38.5mm. Third, they have the same movements. I like the Sinn dial and hands a bit more than the Stowa, but not enough to outweigh the other factors cutting in Stowa's direction.

Good luck on your decision, and I hope you go with the Airman!

Edit: I'd just go ahead and buy a new one. These watches very rarely find their way onto the for-sale forum because there are so many happy customers. And when they do, they often are in such high demand that the seller can get close to the actual retail price. Plus, the people at Stowa are great to work with, and you'll likely take comfort in the fact that, by buying new, you're supporting a small company of people that really care about the art and tradition of producing high quality watches.
    Thank you so much for your comments, these are really helpful. You have the exact watch I want as well! I still can't believe these watches are barely gaining a second a day! I'm very impressed with all the comments and things I've read about the Airman's timekeeping ability!

Your comments comparing the Airman to the Sinn 656 are great as well. Puts things in better perspective for me.

Hi,

i own 2 Stowas, an Airman Original Limited Edition and a Marine Original, both handwound. Compared with other watches in my little Collection (Seamaster; Speedmaster, Panerai, there is no signifcant qualitylack. Just look at the comparison shot with the panerai 111. They are both fantastic watches, which get a lot wristtime. You can`t do anything neither with the automatic nor the handwound. My personal favorite is always handwound. Just like the touch an feel of this watches while winding.

Further you`ll find a lot of information here about these watches. Especially the FO LE is surely one of the most dicussed watches on this forum;);).

Greetings Frank

I have owned an Airman automatic for over a year now. At a state of full wind, my watch gains about 8 seconds a day. I did not opt for the COSC movement. I have been advised by Stowa that this is within their specs for the non COSC movement, but they are more than willing to regulate the watch for me for tighter accuracy. To me that means they are well aware that a 2824 movement, non-COSC, can do better than 8 seconds a day. Maybe I will send it in- don't know.

My watch has had otherwise no reliability issues. Can't necessarily say the same for an Oris (2836-2 base) and Omega (1861) I own, as both needed service within the first year of ownership.

When I ordered my watch, the Airman Original was not available. I probably would have selected the Airman automatic anyway. I opted with Logo, but w/o date.

I have another watch that is equipped with a manual wind movement- a Unitas 6947, which is the base movement for the Airman original as well.

That watch, a Maurice Lacroix, is very accurate, and I have nothing negative to say about the 6497 movement.

Sinn is also a nice watch. I decided on the Stowa for historical reasons- they are one of the original manufaturers of Flieger watches. The price was good, the workmanship also seemed solid.

I have no regrets over this purchase at all-

Thread Information