Reseaching the brand

Thread: Reseaching the brand

Reseaching the brand

Hi,
    I'm new to the Stowa brand. I've been aware of them for a couple of years now and always thought they were nice looking....especially the diver models. But recently, I've began researching them and have become very impressed with their quality and function. I am in the market for a good diver right now and don't want to spend an arm and leg.
    Does anyone know whether there are any authorized dealers in Canada?
    I know you can buy right from Stowa and from WatchBuys (when they have them) but I was hoping there was a way to avoid getting hit with Customs.
    Thanks
    Lucas

stuffler,mike

Re: Reseaching the brand

No AD in Canada, Stowa is available online only. Re customs: Search the forum, there are some threads on that issue.

Welcome to the forum, Lucas.

Unfortunately, duty and taxes on a watch delivery in Canada from Germany are pretty brutal. In Ontario, it works out to roughly 18% of the value of the watch (5% duty, plus GST and PST, and about a $10 charge for brokerage by FedEx). Stowa watches are still more than worth the price, but it's better to know up front what to expect when it arrives.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info guys. I read through the thread posted back in November about the issues another Canadian member had with FedEx. Man that's scary stuff. I've had bad experiences in the past as well and am a little "gun shy" about buying outside of Canada again.
    About 5 years ago I bought a $75 watch off the 'bay. It was sent from the UK. The seller wrote insured for 500 pounds on the envelope. Canada Customs tried to hit with about $1200 in taxes, duties and the Canada Post fees. I could not figure out their logic. I was told that since the watch was insured for 500 pounds then that's the value! It still did not make sense. 100% taxes?? At this point the watch had cleared customs and was sitting at the post office waiting for pickup. I figured the specific postal retailer was the one's trying to rip me off. Needless to say I sent it back.
    Stowa watches are the first thing to really tempt me in a long time

............and in total it's just a bit less than German V.A.T.: 19 %

Volker

Quote Originally Posted by brainless View Post
    ............and in total it's just a bit less than German V.A.T.: 19 %
    Yep, that's how I try to look at it; I'm saving 1%. :)

Thread Information