Rotor on my new Flieger no-logo COSC is a little "sticky"
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lvt

Thread: Rotor on my new Flieger no-logo COSC is a little "sticky"

Rotor on my new Flieger no-logo COSC is a little "sticky"

Just got my Flieger no-logo w/ COSC movement (2824-2) a couple days ago. The movement definitely looks more refined than the standard grade ETA in my Hamilton Khaki, but there's a very clear difference in how the rotors spin.

The "German silver" rotor in my Stowa seems to be a little "sticky". By that I mean that the rotor only spins if the watch itself is rotated enough (say, 30-45 degrees). If I slowly rotate my watch, the rotor will stay put until it reaches a certain threshhold, and then it'll quickly "drop" to the lowest point (gravity). In contrast, the rotor in my Hamilton moves extremely freely. If I slowly rotate the watch, the rotor will rotate in the opposite direction along with it. It is always at the lowest point. If I suddently spin my watch, the rotor will move in a pendulum-like (back-and-forth) motion because there is almost no friction.

Why is there such a difference between the movements? They're both ETA 2824-2. The only difference I can tell besides the different grades are that the Stowa has perlage decoration and a different rotor, but I can't imagine these things affecting its rotation. Accuracy is OK (+7 sec/24 hrs, which is a little higher than a COSC movement should be), but I haven't been able to check power reserve after wearing it yet. Hopefully it won't be diminished too much due to lack of adequate rotor spinning.
    Last edited by DaveInLA; March 3rd, 2011 at 04:18.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

lvt

Re: Rotor on my new Flieger no-logo COSC is a little "sticky"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
    Why is there such a difference between the movements? They're both ETA 2824-2. The only difference I can tell besides the different grades are that the Stowa has "Geneva stripes" and a different rotor, but I can't imagine these things affecting its rotation. Accuracy is OK (+7 sec/24 hrs, which is a little higher than a COSC movement should be), but I haven't been able to check power reserve after wearing it yet. Hopefully it won't be diminished too much due to lack of adequate rotor spinning.

I think when your watch's power reserve is high the rotor won't be able to spin freely due to resistance from the barel, try to leave the watch run out of PR and try again.
    GMA likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I´ve felt exctly the same with my 2824 estandard. And I can't reach maximum power reserve without hand wound.

It's also a no logo, with the "German silver" rotor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My COSC MA does exactly the same thing, as do a few other watches I have with the same movement for that matter.

They all keep excellent time, but indeed sometimes the power reserve seem to have run out earlier than expected.
    Looks like this is pretty common for ETA 2824s

Cheers,

CT

I went with the COSC and was a little taken back when I noticed the rotor didn't spin as freely. I had previously only had 7750 movements that wound easily out of the box. It seemed ultimately to only need some break in time and has been keeping good time ever since.
    Meistersinger Monograph
    Momodesign GMT Chrono
    Hamilton X-Wind LE
    Stowa Flieger Baumuster B
    Stowa Flieger Chronograph

My COSC FA is same too. I think that this is the default behavior of ETA 2824 due to it's bidirectional auto winding mechanism. And timekeeping is perfect it runs less than a second in a day. I never adjusted it within last four months. IMO full wound is not necessary for automatic movement.
    Last edited by catalkn; March 4th, 2011 at 09:38.

The resistance of the rotor to move while turning the watch body will vary depending on how much the watch is wound. As well, the expected resistance would vary depending on the weight of the rotor and how much of that weight is in its periphery; that is, different rotors would result in different behavior, all else being equal.

Regardless of all that, it's completely normal to have to rotate the watch body 30+ degrees before the rotor will follow.

Don't worry, it's absolutely fine.

Cheers.

MCG

Yes, apparentlich the "Neusilber"-Rotor is just not as havy as the origin rotor from ETA. If you move normaly then it wont have any negativ impact on the watch and the power reserve will be enough. It will have even the advantage theat the movement will not wear as much as with the original rotor. If you are a "none-mover" than the might stop working before you might expect...
    Grüsse aus Zürich Markus

Thread Information