Schauer VS. Stowa?

Thread: Schauer VS. Stowa?

Schauer VS. Stowa?

I have some watch funds saved up and I am thinking of buying a new Schauer/Stowa. Maybe a Prodiver, maybe a loaded COSC Seatime, maybe a Schauer Day/date. I am not really sure about which model yet. Perhaps I should wait for the next best idea from Jorg. Anyway I was really wondering if there is any major difference between the workmanship and detail that go into the Schauer models comapired to the Stowa. I read that Jorg personally hand finishes all Schauer cases. Is there more detail and workmanship placed into the flagship line or does the true best buy lay with the Stowa brand? Is Stowa the poor man's Schauer? I own 4 Stowa watches and appreciate the fine workmanship and detail but I have never owned or handled a Schauer watch.

I assume both brands cases are made by Fricker. I assume Jorg finishes all the cases. Most have similar base movements with differences in rotors and finishing. Is there a real difference between the brands besides design? :-S

stuffler,mike

Re: Schauer VS. Stowa?

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole
    I have some watch funds saved up and I am thinking of buying a new Schauer/Stowa. Maybe a Prodiver, maybe a loaded COSC Seatime, maybe a Schauer Day/date. I am not really sure about which model yet. Perhaps I should wait for the next best idea from Jorg. Anyway I was really wondering if there is any major difference between the workmanship and detail that go into the Schauer models comapired to the Stowa. I read that Jorg personally hand finishes all Schauer cases. Is there more detail and workmanship placed into the flagship line or does the true best buy lay with the Stowa brand? Is Stowa the poor man's Schauer? I own 4 Stowa watches and appreciate the fine workmanship and detail but I have never owned or handled a Schauer watch.

I assume both brands cases are made by Fricker. I assume Jorg finishes all the cases. Most have similar base movements with differences in rotors and finishing. Is there a real difference between the brands besides design? :-S
    Jörg decided to limit the Schauer watches to 500 per year, a Schauer always will be an exclusive and top notch watch. For sure there´s more workmanship an a Schauer watch (case and movement finish, rotor, engravings). The more work is done by hande the more you pay

I have two Stowa's the ProDiver and the Seatime and two Schauer's the Day/Date Zentral and a Chrono #6.

All four watches are truly superb,and i have been lucky enough to own a lot of marques,but the Schauer watches are in a different league in terms of finish,they feel "individual" a little like a bespoke suit over a very good off the peg.

As has been said on many occaisons you cannot go wrong with either.

Martin
    Rolex ceramic sub
    Breitling B1
    Ennebi Fondale
    Sinn 903 "Cosmanaute"
    Bremont
    Breitling Blacksteel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My only caution to you is be sure the Schauer is a watch you want to keep for a long time. The resale value on a Schauer watch is just not there. You will pay a lot of extra $'s for a new Schauer, but you will not get it back if you decide to sale the watch.

There is a guy on TZ that's been trying to sale his Schauer Chrono #6 for a long time now. He keeps dropping the price but there are no takers. I had a similar experience with a Schauer 2824 and to a lesser extent with a Schauer SportStop.

Conversely, the Stowa watches seem to hold their value in resale. I think the reason is that the new Stowa watches are very reasonably priced for it's relative high quality.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

Yes in retrospect, I probably should have purchased that 2824 Schauer that you were selling Steve but since I own 2 Stowa Marines with white dials, I didnt think it would fit in my line up. It is true that a Schauer will set me back at least $1500 but I really appreciate the personalized hand craftsmanship and work that goes into his watches watches. It may be a problem since I do seem to flip my watches frequently so that is why I am not making any quick decisions

It would be interesting to hear Jorg's thoughts on this topic.
    Perhaps when he has time.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

I have 3 Stowas and 6 Schuaers, I think that all are good quality.

Certainly on my Icarus, which I bought second hand I would make a good turn, judging by recent prices.

What is interesting is that I now rarely see a Schauer on ebay - though both my limited edition Kleines (from the first run of 400) were bought from there. One of these I paid only £275 for, so I would certainly expect to recover that.

In my case I do expect to keep them (including the Sportstop bought from Steve!). For example my Kulisse and Automatik have been personalised, so need to be keepers.

Remember my friend....the Sportstop with an intial stop off at my friend Steve's house---he was the one who took major part of the hit when selling the Schauer Sportstop. I can understand his feelings about resale given he has taken it in the shorts a couple of times. I love the Schauer watches, look and quality, but as a prudent buyer, I will probably only buy another one used after what I have seen the resale values ending up at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Galler
    Remember my friend....the Sportstop with an intial stop off at my friend Steve's house---he was the one who took major part of the hit when selling the Schauer Sportstop. I can understand his feelings about resale given he has taken it in the shorts a couple of times. I love the Schauer watches, look and quality, but as a prudent buyer, I will probably only buy another one used after what I have seen the resale values ending up at.
    I think it is safe to say that the Schauer quality is going to be higher than Stowa, however the brands themselves fill very different watch niches IMHO.

Stowa is what I would consider a "bang for the buck" brand vs. Schauer which would be what I would call a Boutique brand along the lines of UTS or Dornbleuth. I think generally these boutique type watches do not hold their resale value as well as "bang for the buck" brands or mass marketed brands such as Omega or Rolex.

I think that resale prices would be higher for watches like Schauer though if sellers would wait it out when trying to move a piece instead of slashing their asking price or throwing their watch on the bay out of impatience. All it takes is the right person to come along that was going to buy one new anyway.

As for me a Schauer is really not in the budget right now, but if I see one cheap on the bay you never know:-D

I´ve never seen a Schauer in reality but I must say that the quality of a Stowa Prodiver is worth every cent

Joern
    Even a broken watch shows the correct time twice a day

Thread Information