Schauer vs Stowa Redux
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Schauer vs Stowa Redux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schauer vs Stowa Redux

I know this has been discussed before, but I think this topic is worth exploring again as the introduction of the Chronograph 1938 seems to take the Stowa range much closer to the Schauer one, to the extent that it also has very similar functions and a display back. I’m interested in exploring what it is you are “getting” for the additional 1000 euro or so between the ranges. Is it “just” design and limited production? (Surely Stowa isn’t high production?) I would add that I am asking this in the spirit of understanding as I think Stowa are great value for money and I am very, very close in making a Schauer my “final” watch. I’m just interested in what people with experience in handling and owning the two think the “value” difference is.

Many thanks

Dave

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Schauer vs Stowa Redux

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Mike,

Thanks for the response. It was precisely your second review that "put the cat amongst the pigeons" and prompted me to post. You seem to be saying that there is little to no discernable difference in quality, and it was this I wanted to explore.

Cheers

Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So has no one any other views on this? I'm not being trollish, and I am genuinely respective and appreciative of both brands, it's just that with the new Stowa chronographs being so good, it's not clear to me what you are paying quite a reasonable difference for.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidfdowning View Post
    So has no one any other views on this? I'm not being trollish, and I am genuinely respective and appreciative of both brands, it's just that with the new Stowa chronographs being so good, it's not clear to me what you are paying quite a reasonable difference for.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

in your avatar I see that you are a member for more than four years now.
    First thing I learned when starting my hobby "watches" was: Don't try to use your brain - there is no reason in collecting watches.
    In my understanding it is only a matter of accumulation, hunt and kill, vanity.............and personal taste.**
    This personal taste will make the difference between Schauer and Stowa watches. They aren't to be compared in style, IMHO.
    I am really sorry for not being able to support you in looking for a material equivalent for the price difference,

Volker

** I am part of that community

Quote Originally Posted by brainless View Post
    Hi Dave,

in your avatar I see that you are a member for more than four years now.
    First thing I learned when starting my hobby "watches" was: Don't try to use your brain - there is no reason in collecting watches.
    In my understanding it is only a matter of accumulation, hunt and kill, vanity.............and personal taste.**
    This personal taste will make the difference between Schauer and Stowa watches. They aren't to be compared in style, IMHO.
    I am really sorry for not being able to support you in looking for a material equivalent for the price difference,

Volker

** I am part of that community
    I think that I can go with what Volker says. Over a fair number of years I have built" a collection of 8 Stowa and 7 Schauer watches. Certainly the latter are all very different from the Stowas - from the single hand, the day-date through the Sportstop to the Kulisse.

Maybe Mike or Jorg could chime in a little.

From my understanding the Schauer's are produced in a limited number per year (500 maximum), but Stowa does not have an output limit. Also Jorg personally finishes the cases on the Schauer line and I imagine that the Stowa's can be finished additionally, if required, by any of the Stowa watchmakers. Of course the obvious is how the watch is assembled, meaning the bezel attachment to the case, which is a Schauer staple. You are paying more, not much however, for exclusivity of a Schauer versus the Stowa Chronograph. Though it is not likely to run into another Stowa owner unintentionally. The design is also significantly different, besides being a bi-compax chronograph, the designs are very different. Not sure that you can say one is more sporty than the other, but in a way they are. At least to me they are.

From my point of view I can just compare between the 1938 and the Edition 14 - I would not talk about watches I did or do not own. So my impressions are as follows:

- there is a price difference - but there always is. I have reached a point, where I do not compare prices anymore (or just on a base like "affordable / not affordable"), I just judge based on the wishes or feelings I have. So from that side: sorry I am no help at all

- the watch has been made by Jörg Schauer / the watch has been made by an employee of Stowa: ok, sorry, I do not give a damn. I met Jörg, I met his watchmakers - I am sure, both of them know how to make watches.

- but now the important point: two different watches. While the 1938 is something like a "dresswatch", I consider the Edition 14 more like "a part of me" - I am not the "Dressman", even though I wear suits most of my working day. From that dress-point-of-view the 1938 fits perfect - but to describe it well, it fits my suit, but not me. I'm about 6 ft / 230 pounds, and I love the Edition 14 on Kubus - the watch "fits me".

Conclusion: I am no help at all - and I take both of them. From my point of view there's no "vs.", only an "and" ;)

Sponsor / Moderator

Hello everybody,

just a few points for the pricedifference.

The details make the difference, like alwasy .-):

1 - i finish every Schauer case by myself by hand
    (often i do additional works on the watchcase, depence model and quantity)

2 - the cases are much more complicated, i use 12 screws to hold bezel on case, this means the case and the bezel have to be made in a different and much more difficult way.

3 - i number every dial by myself with the serial number with a tampon printing machine

4 - Schauer watches are limited, this means smaller quantities of cases, dials and hands, this means i have to pay much more for the parts and need more time to compensade the tooling costs and also the normal serie.
    (STOWA i normaly order 500 parts each serie, schauer normaly 100 parts each serie - this makes a big different for the supplier)

5 - the laserengraving on a Schauer case, especially the caseback is a difficult and expensive work, of course we make in small series like 10 - 50 or maximum 100 pieces, but we have to pay always to fit the machine, we loose always 1-2 parts to adjust the machine and so on.

After the laser engraving i finish each watchcase by myself

6 - the Schauer basic straps are more expensive than the normal STOWa straps

7 - the Schauer buckle is more expensive

8 - the Schauer Box is more expensive

This are a lot of small details and more are existing in the background.

But the most important matter is that i work many hours on each watch.

STOWA watches are high quality watches - but of course we save money in the production because i have designed and constructed each watch that we can produce in a normal serial way.
    (of course the perfect poduction is always the second serie, in the first we sometimes loose also time because we have to adjust small details)

STOWA Still is made by hand but not with the many small adjustments i need for the limited Schauer watches.

The difference is maybe if you need a limited and handfinished watch from Schauer or if you are happy with a small serial watch which is made by very good watchmakers.

I for myself are realy happy with a Prodiver in Limette or a Flieger Chronograph for daily use.

For special Events i wear of course a Schauer watch.

It´s the feeling and the emotions which makes a big part of what we are choosing.

Maybe i spend sometimes to much time with a Schauer watch, but i am a perfectionist in stainless steel finish and for this i spend a lot of time .

But it makes the special feeling for my customers, they feel and see that a human hand was working on the casefinish and the adjustment of the watch.

Anyway, it doesn´t matter which watch you choose: You get very good value for money.

Best regards

Jörg Schauer
    JarrodS and Renisin like this.

What a nightmare for you Jorg
    Trying to justify the higher price of your premier brand whilst not devaluing your standard product...
    ...but I think you've done yourself proud.

A Schauer = More expensive components, more complicated manufacture & more of Jorg's personal input.

The danger of course, as I think the OP was alluding to, is by taking the Stowa brand more upmarket - the difference is diminished.

So would a Schauer customer buy a Stowa?
    Would a Stowa customer 'stretch' to buying a Schauer?
    Of course they would
    Does a Stowa customer mean automatically aspiring to buying a Schauer - no of course not.
    Antea Black (Date - Milanaise Bracelet)
    Antea Creme COSC (No Date - Blued Hands)
    Antea KS
    Black Forest Flieger LE
    Flieger B-Uhr
    Flieger 2801 LE

Marine 2801 HW
    Marine Original
    Chrono 1938 Black
    Seatime Blue (ProDiver Bezel)
    Seatime WUS LE
    70's Quartz,
    Vintage PUW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast