serious noob help please
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: serious noob help please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

serious noob help please

Hi Everyone,

Today, I received my Stowa Flieger Baumuster B (handwinding) watch in the mail. First off, wow. What an amazingly beautiful watch. I love it!

Being slightly new to the world of handwinding mechanical watches, I'm a bit confused on how to properly wind it. The instruction booklet it came with says "Place the watch's crown between thumb and index finger and turn the crown back and forth until a noticeable resistance is felt."

What does "back and forth" mean?

Does it mean that in order to properly wind this ETA 2804-2 movement, you turn clockwise, say a half turn, then counterclockwise a half turn, then clockwise half turn, then counterclockwise half turn, and so on, until you feel resistance? I've wound up the watch once so far, approximately 10-15 half turns, all in the clockwise direction, and its ticking. So I guess that's good. And to be honest, this is how I thought it should be wound - all in one direction, the clockwise direction, anywhere from 20-30 half (or full, not entirely sure)turns; however, the instruction booklet makes this "back and forth" statement that confuses me.

Furthermore, I'm obviously assuming that you wind the watch with the crown pushed in, because when the crown is pulled out, the second hand stops (the hacking function), and you adjust the minute and hour hands. Is this the correct understanding?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noobity.

Best,

Leave the crown in and I believe it is capable of bidirectional winding. So, you can roll clockwise and counter-clockwise.

Re: serious noob help please

Thanks WWFII. I'll try the bidirectional wind next time.

Is it bad that I wound it in one direction this first time?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by r53matt View Post
    Thanks WWFII. I'll try the bidirectional wind next time.

Is it bad that I wound it in one direction this first time?
    no your fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But then the direction with a small resistance. The other doesn't wind it only allows you to get back to a winding position without leaving your finger off the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by WWFII View Post
    Leave the crown in and I believe it is capable of bidirectional winding. So, you can roll clockwise and counter-clockwise.
    Only one direction will wind it. Bidirection refers to how the movement of the rotor in an automatic watch will wind it. Rotation in either direction will wind it.

With a manual wind watch such as this, only one direction will wind it. As Fikk says, using this method will mean you don't have to take your fingers off the crown or even know which direction is winding it. If you wind it back and forth then it will definitely get wound. Think of it like a ratchet. Only one direction of movement actually does anything - the other direction just gets you back to the starting position again.

OP - You only really need to find it clockwise, but there is no harm doing it either way. You should hear more of a sound winding clockwise than when winding anti-clockwise. If you have a watch with a display back you can also turn the watch over and watch what happens as you wind - that will soon indicate which way actually does something.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

True. Bidirectional does imply winding in both motions. Thanks for the clarification.

While on this topic, is there truly no harm in overwinding a manual watch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Time Standard View Post
    While on this topic, is there truly no harm in overwinding a manual watch?
    There‘s truly no harm to overwind an automatic movement. You can't overwind an automatic movement. All automatic ETA including the Valgranges, Sellita, Soprod, Eterna etc have a clutch that disengages when there is sufficient resistance from the mainspring, valid for both winding by hand or automatically by rotor.

Handwound movements can be overwound but you have to ignore the resistance you feel when winding up your watch.

To find out you could have done a search here on WUS, discussed a 1000 times, literally.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    There‘s truly no harm to overwind an automatic movement. You can't overwind an automatic movement. All automatic ETA including the Valgranges, Sellita, Soprod, Eterna etc have a clutch that disengages when there is sufficient resistance from the mainspring, valid for both winding by hand or automatically by rotor.

Handwound movements can be overwound but you have to ignore the resistance you feel when winding up your watch.

To find out you could have done a search here on WUS, discussed a 1000 times, literally.
    Thanks for taking the time on this, should've searched the threads about it...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information